I broke down....

I'm sorry, But if your going to pay for it, Sockeye would be the one. Over here if we want sockeye we always have to pay for it.

That's terrible news. No fisherman should have to endure that.
My freezer is also devoid and bare, and my boat is so very lonely.

Would the whales be receptive if we went out and asked if they had any spare salmon?

Why not the whales? Its their mouths that we are stealing from. At least thats what they are telling us...

Nope. No way. Uh-uh. Never gunna happen. I still have one fillet left in the freezer from the day before the closure. Luckily I was able to just restock it with a couple more (sorry). Worst case Ontario I steal cans from the Zombie Pantry.

Last week I was in Whole Foods in West Van waiting for my son so my wife sent me into the store to buy a few things for dinner. As I navagated the desperate housewives and over priced everything I came across an awesome display of beautiful sockeye filets. For $20 a pound, fresh even. I asked where it was from and the clerk went and looked it up, the States....hmmm.

So anyway after my 3 day EPIC (mostly solo) weekend adventure I felt pretty good about the 33 lbs of cleaned spring that went into vacuum bags yesterday Between Gower point and South Texada the action is amazing and will continue to build over the next few weeks time. Cheers guys.

Scott, I feel your pain. Our freezer went bare about a month ago. Went past a couple of cooler sales by the orange bridge on the way to sport but couldn't quite go there. Went to the dark side and bought a couple of fillets of sockeye. Thankfully, we have had a productive set of nights to add a few pieces back to the freezer.

I was tempted by sockeye last weekend, Scott, but I bought the ahi tuna instead. Just put our powerboat in the water for the season today so I can go get some coho or pinks for the grill.
T2

I catch a few Chinook each year, but I always buy sockeye from a local commercial fisherman. Hardly ever open for Sockeye in Discovery Passage. Usually $5 lb cleaned, head on. Very reasonable price. Beautiful fish, well iced, huge contrast to the quality of the Somass FN fish I've seen in the past. My wife was given a few FN Somass Sockeye and the were junk.

I catch a few Chinook each year, but I always buy sockeye from a local commercial fisherman. Hardly ever open for Sockeye in Discovery Passage. Usually $5 lb cleaned, head on. Very reasonable price. Beautiful fish, well iced, huge contrast to the quality of the Somass FN fish I've seen in the past. My wife was given a few FN Somass Sockeye and the were junk.
She should have given them back and asked whoever gave them to her to leave them in the river next time. :p

Back