Hydro lock Volvo Penta 4.3GL

Had some bad luck yesterday, out fishing at Kitty Coleman from Salmon Point, started the main to head back around 8pm, my son wanted to sit on my lap and help me steer the boat back, he took off his hat and put it in the side storage but he knocked off the kill switch and this was right as I was full powering the throttle. The motor immediatly died and made some horrendous noise. Tried to strart a few times with no luck and making a horrible sound when trying to start. Used the Yamaha 9.9 to get us back, not fun. Took us over 2 hours to get back in the dark. Thankfully I recently took some time to make sure all my lights were working correctly. Had my wife standing on the corner at Salmon point with a large flash light to help guide us is. Today I pulled the plugs and sure enough theres water in there, started the motor numerous times to get that water out. Put plugs back in getting spark and fuel but the motor wont start. Anyone have some suggestions or is this thing toast?

Surprised it’s turning over. I bent two con rods into the side of the block in my car from a small head gasket leak I didn’t know about that didn’t affect anything til it sat for a month and dropped into the cylinders.

What does the engine oil look like? Did you perform a compression test?

Most likely bend a valve or possibly multiple. Comp test will tell that tale

Got it running after trying 2 times taking out the plugs and starting it multiple times to get the water out. Will take it for a quick ride once the tide is up and then change the oil. Hopefully I got lucky

Got it running after trying 2 times taking out the plugs and starting it multiple times to get the water out. Will take it for a quick ride once the tide is up and then change the oil. Hopefully I got lucky
I would change the oil first. Any water in there could be bad news

I would change the oil first. Any water in there could be bad news
I didn't see any water in the oil and my mechanic told me to take it for a 10 minute run to get the water out of it, ran well, checked oil when I got back and looks fine. Will still change the oil. Learned a few things thats for sure. Might remove the kill switch, what a pain in the butt

I had a Volvo DP a few years back. I experienced something similar to what you did. I took a piece of angled aluminum and attached a heavy piece of rubber to it. It was just large enough to cover the area over the prop where the water tends to want to enter if you stop to quickly. I attached this to the leg leaving enough room for the exhaust to exit easily. Not a great description but perhaps you get what I mean. Worked very well. Will try to find a pic.

Back