Huge Ling Cod

And so what if it was an Albertan freezer would that make it a bad thing. Regardless of where that fish may go the person who caught it kept it,, his business.

I will remind you all again,, those are Federal waters and as such British Columbia has no jurisdiction over them more than any other province or territory in the dominion. Alberta and Albertans being the largest contributor to the equalization payments ensures we contribute our fair share to such fisheries and their futures. Many of us donate and contribute directly to many programs on the west coast. We pay more for our licenses when we head out their and as such that extra money goes towards that fishery. I will just about guarantee you this,, I personally have left more money in BC directly for and from fishing than most 10 combined on this forum have. In the 38 years now that I have been going to the coast I will tell you this,, I have seen more abuse of the fishery by local people than I certainly ever have from people outside the province. 90% of people from out of province either use charter boats or stay at lodges and are guided if there is an abuse taking place it is being condoned by, encouraged by, designed by these local businesses and local people. Many many of us leave thousands and thousands of dollars a year into that fishery and take a small fraction away from it compared to local people.

Again "Federal Water" boys,, I have as much right to that fishery as any man or women in this country !!
Yeesh, a little touchy about your origin dude? relax, come'on over and spark one up and mellow to the BC bud. You're welcome here, just quit spoiling our buzz, yer creeping us out with yer talk of the Feds.chill You can fish those waters all you want, but yah still gotta cross our territory to do it, so be nice to us us poor under-employed cousins. We may have to ban you from our territory heh heh heh;):D:p

Last edited by a moderator:
tytu3u8u.jpg

Yeesh, a little touchy about your origin dude? relax, come'on over and spark one up and mellow to the BC bud. You're welcome here, just quit spoiling our buzz, yer creeping us out with yer talk of the Feds.chill You can fish those waters all you want, but yah still gotta cross our territory to do it, so be nice to us us poor under-employed cousins. We may have to ban you from our territory heh heh heh;):D:p

Lol,, that's all right fin,, those days are over for me..

I know I am touchy on the subject,, but like all of us I pay a heavy tax in this country and when my tax dollars go to keep this fishery going and we have people that think one group is more entitled to the fishery than the other,, well that gets my goat,, that's all man.. And like I said many of us donate to many projects out there as well. We certainly don't have the time nor means to attend the meetings like some of you do and to be honest I don't spend enough time out there to fully understand a lot of the issues involved with the fishery at this time to give an honest educated opinion so I leave that up to you guys and for that I thank you all.

In the coming years momma and I plan on spending at least half of our time out there on the island so I will have more of an impact and input into it,, until then all I can do is my dollars,, it will have to do for now.

Lol,, that's all right fin,, those days are over for me..

I know I am touchy on the subject,, but like all of us I pay a heavy tax in this country and when my tax dollars go to keep this fishery going and we have people that think one group is more entitled to the fishery than the other,, well that gets my goat,, that's all man.. And like I said many of us donate to many projects out there as well. We certainly don't have the time nor means to attend the meetings like some of you do and to be honest I don't spend enough time out there to fully understand a lot of the issues involved with the fishery at this time to give an honest educated opinion so I leave that up to you guys and for that I thank you all.

In the coming years momma and I plan on spending at least half of our time out there on the island so I will have more of an impact and input into it,, until then all I can do is my dollars,, it will have to do for now.

Sir, I have no problem with people from any part of the world enjoying our great fisheries in BC. In reading your posts on this forum you have shown a vested interest in an informative, considerate and helpful way. I wish more out of Province anglers were like you.

I made a comment that was insensitive to Alberta folks who enjoy the right to take home a freezer full of fish. I already edited my post and apologized.

What I should have said, it is my choice to enjoy fishing because for me 'the tug is the drug' and that is why I choose to release most fish I catch, especially Trout, and keep a couple of Salmon or Halibut when I have the opportunity to do so. I am not concerned with a freezer full.

I understand that not all people feel this way. For some, it's about quantity. For others, it's about quality. For others, it can be both!

I would choose to release a 20 year old breeder fish, regardless of how good the 'fish and chips' may be, just because I don't like the thought of eating something that old. A comment was made alluding to the fact that any fish we kill is a potential breeder. True, but there is a big difference between a 5 year old hatchery Spring and a 20 year female ling. When was the last time you saw a hatchery for Lings?

Tight lines folks!

Good enough for me GM..

Sorry for the rant boys,, I will go back to my corner now..

Cool pic of that Ling ! Curious I've never caught a ling that large, typically do they put up a fight when first hooked or just at the top of the water or both?

Cool pic of that Ling ! Curious I've never caught a ling that large, typically do they put up a fight when first hooked or just at the top of the water or both?

Just like a salmon some come up see the boat then take off, but most put up a fight almost right away. I find anything over 17lbs will take at least one good run, and the bigger ones can take several while coming up.

We got a 51 on rats nose one year and It came in like a big kelp. I actually thought I had a kelp until it was 15ft away and then we grabbed the gaff and threw it in the tub! YUM I cant tell the diff between a 50 and 15 when it comes to lings. But Id eat a 15 pound hali over a 50 anyday!

-KK

A comment was made alluding to the fact that any fish we kill is a potential breeder. True, but there is a big difference between a 5 year old hatchery Spring and a 20 year female ling.

Your absolutely right but most people have it BACKWARDS! Lets take the hatchery element out and say mature wild salmon vs mature ling cod.

A 20 year old ling has been mature since age 5 breeding I presume annually. So that ling has 15 (potentially) generations of lings with its bloodlines in the ocean. It's lived a good life it done its part to re produce.

However that salmon your bonking only has one chance to re produce and if its in your tub its lost that chance - that fish and its future offspring are ALL dead while the ling lives on through its many offspring.

So why kill the salmon but not the ling?

Your absolutely right but most people have it BACKWARDS! Lets take the hatchery element out and say mature wild salmon vs mature ling cod.

A 20 year old ling has been mature since age 5 breeding I presume annually. So that ling has 15 (potentially) generations of lings with its bloodlines in the ocean. It's lived a good life it done its part to re produce.

However that salmon your bonking only has one chance to re produce and if its in your tub its lost that chance - that fish and its future offspring are ALL dead while the ling lives on through its many offspring.

very good point.

Thanks GDW that was what I was getting at....

I would have probably bonked that ling myself. That said, one difference between a big ling and a smaller one is that the bigger females put out 4-5 times as many eggs as the smaller ones. With that in mind, the comparison between lings and salmon is not quite apples to apples.

Well, comments about conservation are educational and helpful. A lot of people don't know the larger lings are the breeders and maybe one of the close to 3000 people that have read this thread will think twice about bonking a pregnant, mushy 30+ pounder for a photo op.

Great ling - sorry for all the flamers. For all of you who have commented on a 30+ pound ling being mushy, I guess that means you must have killed one yourself and ate it. Seems a bit preachy to me. If you haven't killed one because you think they are mushy, well then you are wrong. I can't attest to those 50-80 pound lings, but the 25-40 pound lings really taste great. Excellent fish and very good eating - better than halibut!

Back