Huge Ling Cod

Relax Walleyes, no need to get upset or lecture us... It's fishing,, supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. So relax and enjoy it.

Technically we all kill breeders don't we? I mean how many of you bonked mature Chinook that would have breed in a river this year? Aren't some of those females? That really is no better is it?

So why the public outcry of save the ling cod? Personally I would kill it as well if it tasted good...

Technically we all kill breeders don't we? I mean how many of you bonked mature Chinook that would have breed in a river this year? Aren't some of those females? That really is no better is it?

So why the public outcry of save the ling cod? Personally I would kill it as well if it tasted good...

Those big fish are in a lot of cases 20+ years old. A lot of the lodges and guides brag about the 'trophy' lings that are caught in their waters and they post pics and everyone thinks it is great to kill a huge one.

Its not, the meat sucks and they are killing the breeders that will lay the eggs to make fish for the future.

A little education would be nice and I am sure a lot of fishermen would opt to let the big ones go. Enjoy the fight, get a pic and put the mama back in the water.

And Spring Velocity, there are a lot of guys that do put the large salmon back and focus on the mid twenties and high teens fish.

Your not correct here on quality or conservation measures. Big lings properly bled are superior quality. Also you notice there is a minimum size limit not a maximum size limit for Ling Cod. Simple reason is males are small and their job is to fan the eggs providing essential oxygen vital to their hatching. Females just lay the eggs(essential too of course) but then proceed to eat whatever is smaller than them. Likely the males who are fanning the eggs. I caught an 80 lb ling with a legal length male in its yapper and have pictures to prove it. Off Barclay Sound 2 years ago

Your not correct here on quality or conservation measures. Big lings properly bled are superior quality. Also you notice there is a minimum size limit not a maximum size limit for Ling Cod. Simple reason is males are small and their job is to fan the eggs providing essential oxygen vital to their hatching. Females just lay the eggs(essential too of course) but then proceed to eat whatever is smaller than them. Likely the males who are fanning the eggs. I caught an 80 lb ling with a legal length male in its yapper and have pictures to prove it. Off Barclay Sound 2 years ago
Did u eat it?

Sorry but Albertans don't pay more for licences than any other Canadian residents

My mistake you are correct, had the provincial and tidal waters mixed up,, I hold both licences.

And I am relaxed abbyfireguy,, calm as could be,,, just setting the record straight man..

But this always happens, someone posts a pic of a nice fish and it turns ugly,, someone always has to judge one way or the other something has to be wrong with it. In this case it was wrong because one poster thought it was going to Alberta,, like really,, ignorance is bliss I guess..

Those big fish are in a lot of cases 20+ years old. A lot of the lodges and guides brag about the 'trophy' lings that are caught in their waters and they post pics and everyone thinks it is great to kill a huge one.

Its not, the meat sucks and they are killing the breeders that will lay the eggs to make fish for the future.

A little education would be nice and I am sure a lot of fishermen would opt to let the big ones go. Enjoy the fight, get a pic and put the mama back in the water.

And Spring Velocity, there are a lot of guys that do put the large salmon back and focus on the mid twenties and high teens fish.

Look I agree if you shove out and put 8 fish an dock and snap a pic...And it really doesn't matter if you bonk a teen fish or mid 25 fish your still making an impact... That is possibly breeding fish you are taking out of the system. I am just saying if guy wants to eat it he shouldn't be lectured. That is a personal choice and its is legal. Were restricted enough and there is annual limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
You bet! the best fish in this ocean . Have recipe for thin sliced fillets using knitting needles as a guide and long fillet knife. The long thin wide fillets are then rolled with breadcrumbs and Dungeness crab or prawn sauté filling. baked and covered with a white wine sauce. The fillets are snow white tender and moist with a flavor only lingcod has. the bigger the better Never the fear of overcooking as is the case with halibut. Arguably the best seafood recipe dish on the planet . We always mark our packages with Premium Grade for these big fillets.

Nice ling, bet it tastes great. I would bonk it in a heartbeat! We caught a 28pounder off bajo and it was tiny compared to a 38 that was being cleaned next to me.

I too have to agree with Walleyes. I to like seeing the photos of the pictures people post and get tired of those that rag on them. If the fish was caught legally it is up to the person that caught it if they kill it or release it.

Well, comments about conservation are educational and helpful. A lot of people don't know the larger lings are the breeders and maybe one of the close to 3000 people that have read this thread will think twice about bonking a pregnant, mushy 30+ pounder for a photo op.

On the subject of mushy ling cod, what is the explanation for the blue ling(blue tinted meat and blue gastrointestinal juices) we caught near hornby this weekend?

On the subject of mushy ling cod, what is the explanation for the blue ling(blue tinted meat and blue gastrointestinal juices) we caught near hornby this weekend?
Is it kind of a fluorescent greenish-guess blue? Just a colour variation-the flesh turns white when you cook it-you seldom see it in a larger fish but nothing wrong with it at all.

Yeah but it's ok for the commercial guys to slay the crap out of them? They don't give a rat's butt about conservation. What the sports guys harvest is a drop in the bucket.

Ever had fish and chips at a restaurant that wasn't Halibut? It was Ling Cod.

Actually fish Tofino a lot of resteraunts serve pollack and other ***** fish to their customers so they can have fish and chips on the menu without the outrageous price. Maybe not on the west coast but head east and its rampant.

I used to think ling was better then halibut but the last legal ling I took had all sorts of little worms (or blood viens?) through the meat and it did not look appetizing. Couldn't shake the image and did not enjoy it. Not sure if I'd bother with another and that was a small one too.

As for big lings its very good to release them and very good for people to point out the benefits of releasing them the problem is nobody can do it without coming across as a jerk and it goes down hill from there.

Around here they wouldn't dream of trying to serve pollack here, too much competition . It's Ling for sure , i know the owners of several establishments her and that's what they serve.

Blue ling flesh is caused by there favorite food as juveniles. They love to eat juvenile octopus. Its from the ink found inside. I did a search online a year or 2 ago and that was what I found.

Back