Huge Ling Cod

Awesome fish ! you should come a little farther north to Winter Harbour... you will see that size and larger every day on the dock.... its silly for ling and hali

It's a shame really to kill very large lings. I'm not an expert by any means but a commercial fisherman told me they are like Halibut; all the really big ones are female and it takes years for them to get that large. I killed one a few years ago (also 38 lbs) and I wish I hadn't. It didn't really eat that well either (compared to a 15 - 20 lb ling). We now have a maximum size limit for Halibut and I believe that's a good thing; perhaps we should start thinking about one for lings too; they are much easier to release. Just my humble opinion.

Quite the bucket mouth on that old hog lol..

This one had a gaff hole in it before I saw how big it was. My general practice is to release all big fish, salmon included. Posted the photo to show people, not to be judged on how or where I fish. Also to the other post about the Albertan freezer. I was born and raised in B.C. and still live here. I do fish with friends out of Alberta. With that said and as a sponsor of the SFBC derby. From now on, I will keep both my photos and money to myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey part timer its the internet... everyone on here will gladly tell you that youre doing it wrong and their way is so much better than yours. especially about fishing

This one had a gaff hole in it before I saw how big it was. My general practice is to release all big fish, salmon included. Posted the photo to show people, not to be judged on how or where I fish. Also to the other post about the Albertan freezer. I was born and raised in B.C. and still live here. I do fish with friends out of Alberta. With that said and as a sponsor of the SFBC derby. From now on, I will keep both my photos and money to myself.

Sorry, I sincerely apologize for that Part Timer, I was referring to the gaff hole, as in, probably retained, which I now know was not your doing. I do know of fish brought into the boat with a gaff that are successfully released. Just question that practice.

Maybe they were mistaken because you have Alberta on your profile

And so what if it was an Albertan freezer would that make it a bad thing. Regardless of where that fish may go the person who caught it kept it,, his business.

I will remind you all again,, those are Federal waters and as such British Columbia has no jurisdiction over them more than any other province or territory in the dominion. Alberta and Albertans being the largest contributor to the equalization payments ensures we contribute our fair share to such fisheries and their futures. Many of us donate and contribute directly to many programs on the west coast. We pay more for our licenses when we head out their and as such that extra money goes towards that fishery. I will just about guarantee you this,, I personally have left more money in BC directly for and from fishing than most 10 combined on this forum have. In the 38 years now that I have been going to the coast I will tell you this,, I have seen more abuse of the fishery by local people than I certainly ever have from people outside the province. 90% of people from out of province either use charter boats or stay at lodges and are guided if there is an abuse taking place it is being condoned by, encouraged by, designed by these local businesses and local people. Many many of us leave thousands and thousands of dollars a year into that fishery and take a small fraction away from it compared to local people.

Again "Federal Water" boys,, I have as much right to that fishery as any man or women in this country !!

Thats the thing about being a Canadian. I dont see guys ripping on all the hunters on here that are going to AB or SASK for deer hunts. Why is this any different. Keep a nice one before DFO tells you they have to be between this size or that size!

What a beauty BTW! Got a couple like that here in Sooke over the years! Taste great! Better then halibut IMHO!

-KK

Nice fish! I can't get over the size of the heads on those things. Time for me to pull out the jigging rods and go on an adventure...I have some oil ready for a fry. Need to thin out the salmon in my blood.

And so what if it was an Albertan freezer would that make it a bad thing. Regardless of where that fish may go the person who caught it kept it,, his business.

I will remind you all again,, those are Federal waters and as such British Columbia has no jurisdiction over them more than any other province or territory in the dominion. Alberta and Albertans being the largest contributor to the equalization payments ensures we contribute our fair share to such fisheries and their futures. Many of us donate and contribute directly to many programs on the west coast. We pay more for our licenses when we head out their and as such that extra money goes towards that fishery. I will just about guarantee you this,, I personally have left more money in BC directly for and from fishing than most 10 combined on this forum have. In the 38 years now that I have been going to the coast I will tell you this,, I have seen more abuse of the fishery by local people than I certainly ever have from people outside the province. 90% of people from out of province either use charter boats or stay at lodges and are guided if there is an abuse taking place it is being condoned by, encouraged by, designed by these local businesses and local people. Many many of us leave thousands and thousands of dollars a year into that fishery and take a small fraction away from it compared to local people.

Again "Federal Water" boys,, I have as much right to that fishery as any man or women in this country !!

Sorry but Albertans don't pay more for licences than any other Canadian residents

Back