HST or PST check out this link..too long for me to post

Great thread for sure. Good points by all of the folks that have informed themselves about the tax and have done the research and didn't post out of emotion. Great reading.

If you haven't sent in your ballot yet please vote NO!!!!

From a Builders perspective the HST is horrible and has cost us thousands and thousands in lost work. Just add up how much you will be paying in materials, total cost of house and property etc etc etc. I would have no problem with the HST if they just Changed where the taxes were sent to. I mean if they kept all the same things that were exempt under the pst and exempted them under the HST, we would not be having this conversation. That's just my two cents and how it has affected my lively hood. All added tax is going to is push things underground and that won't help anyone.

From a Builders perspective the HST is horrible and has cost us thousands and thousands in lost work. Just add up how much you will be paying in materials, total cost of house and property etc etc etc. I would have no problem with the HST if they just Changed where the taxes were sent to. I mean if they kept all the same things that were exempt under the pst and exempted them under the HST, we would not be having this conversation. That's just my two cents and how it has affected my lively hood. All added tax is going to is push things underground and that won't help anyone.

Lost work:confused:. Every home builder I know is busy right now. I know it's a huge market but this tax is not to blame for any slow down in the housing market. You get it all back on your materials and the end consumer yes pays more but it is a level playing field and I don't see that many people leaving the Province to got to Alberta and face their winters:D.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an 'end consumer' I'd like to keep my money rather than have the government blow it on pet projects and big oil subsidies. VOTING YES TO EXTINGUISH THE HST!!

I think you would need to call Elections BC. Sorry I don't have a phone number.

A Service BC office could probably help you as well.

FYI from the paper today.
Guest column: Killing the HST would be bad for everybody

By Peter Leitch, The Province July 5, 2011 9:29 AM Comments (1)

Why do HST opponents want to take away money from B.C. families?

Vote "no" and keep the new, lower 10-per-cent HST, or vote "yes" to turn back the clock and return to the higher, 12-per-cent double tax PST-GST. That's the choice for voters in the newly extended HST referendum.

To make an informed choice, British Columbians need to understand what going back to the previous, archaic 12-per-cent PST-GST regime truly means.

HST opponents are ignoring the facts and trying to convince us that it's OK to vote for a tax system that will take money away from B.C. families.

They're supporting the higher PST-GST that will cost the average B.C. family $120 more a year than under the HST.

If B.C. voters elect to bring back the PST-GST, the rate will not decrease by two per cent. Seniors and children under the age of 18 will not receive $175 rebate cheques to cover the transition period during the rate change. And HST payments of up to $230 that would have been put into the hands of lower-income families will be replaced by a paltry $75 PST tax credit.

Simply put, the 10-per-cent HST benefits all British Columbians.

It puts more money into household bank accounts, more cash back into consumers' pockets and helps businesses afford job-creating investments and equipment.

PST-GST supporters are putting their trust behind, and selling the public on a double tax that will eliminate 24,400 jobs that would have been created under the HST.

They're ignoring the HST's power to build B.C.'s economy, secure jobs and help strengthen small businesses, which make up more than 98 per cent of the province's business community and employ over one million British Columbians. And across the province, small businesses are already seeing the HST benefiting their customers, employees and families.

Nu-Tech Fire and Safety in Kamloops has hired two new staff members and lowered prices on many products for its retail customers. It estimates savings of more than $10,000 since the HST was implemented, money that it is investing in its business and consumers, while strengthening current jobs and creating new opportunities for employees.

Downs Construction based out of Victoria took its HST savings and gave every employee a raise.

And Ceili's Irish Restaurant and Pub in Vancouver says it has the HST to thank for a new restaurant that will create another 40 to 60 jobs.

The HST is also helping B.C.'s resource sectors, making them more competitive on the international stage. Previously, with the PST, B.C. businesses were forced to pay tax on business inputs such as materials, equipment, energy as well as other goods and services. This meant higher prices for consumers.

With the HST, these costs do not exist any more, meaning that industries like construction, mining, manufacturing, tourism, technology and forestry can pay their employees better salaries and create better, higher-paying jobs.

One of the biggest hits B.C. would take by going back to the PST-GST would be in its film and TV industry. We are Hollywood North and we need a competitive tax system to keep that reputation alive and to ensure a thriving industry does not retreat to Ontario or California.

Bring back the PST-GST and production costs would go up -wiping out about 20 per cent of the film business we have today.

Vote to reinstate the PST-GST and B.C.'s economy and job growth potential will take a giant step backward.

Returning to a 12-per-cent double tax will mean B.C. families pay more and get less.

And because we would need to repay $1.6 billion to Ottawa, families would have to suffer through the necessary cuts to our health-care and education systems to recoup that extraordinary cost.

British Columbians need to start asking why HST opponents want to take money away from us. That's why I'm voting "no" to the PST-GST and encourage you to do the same. The cost of going back is too great.

Peter Leitch, co-chairman of the Smart Tax Alliance, is president of North Shore Studios and Mammoth Studios and chairman of the Motion Picture Production Industry Association of B.C.

Vote "no" and keep the new, lower 10-per-cent HST, or vote "yes" to turn back the clock and return to the higher, 12-per-cent double tax PST-GST. That's the choice for voters in the newly extended HST referendum.

To make an informed choice, British Columbians need to understand what going back to the previous, archaic 12-per-cent PST-GST regime truly means.

HST opponents are ignoring the facts and trying to convince us that it's OK to vote for a tax system that will take money away from B.C. families.

They're supporting the higher PST-GST that will cost the average B.C. family $120 more a year than under the HST.

If B.C. voters elect to bring back the PST-GST, the rate will not decrease by two per cent. Seniors and children under the age of 18 will not receive $175 rebate cheques to cover the transition period during the rate change. And HST payments of up to $230 that would have been put into the hands of lower-income families will be replaced by a paltry $75 PST tax credit.

It puts more money into household bank accounts, more cash back into consumers' pockets and helps businesses afford job-creating investments and equipment.

PST-GST supporters are putting their trust behind, and selling the public on a double tax that will eliminate 24,400 jobs that would have been created under the HST.

They're ignoring the HST's power to build B.C.'s economy, secure jobs and help strengthen small businesses, which make up more than 98 per cent of the province's business community and employ over one million British Columbians. And across the province, small businesses are already seeing the HST benefiting their customers, employees and families.

Nu-Tech Fire and Safety in Kamloops has hired two new staff members and lowered prices on many products for its retail customers. It estimates savings of more than $10,000 since the HST was implemented, money that it is investing in its business and consumers, while strengthening current jobs and creating new opportunities for employees.

Downs Construction based out of Victoria took its HST savings and gave every employee a raise.

And Ceili's Irish Restaurant and Pub in Vancouver says it has the HST to thank for a new restaurant that will create another 40 to 60 jobs.

The HST is also helping B.C.'s resource sectors, making them more competitive on the international stage. Previously, with the PST, B.C. businesses were forced to pay tax on business inputs such as materials, equipment, energy as well as other goods and services. This meant higher prices for consumers.

With the HST, these costs do not exist any more, meaning that industries like construction, mining, manufacturing, tourism, technology and forestry can pay their employees better salaries and create better, higher-paying jobs.

One of the biggest hits B.C. would take by going back to the PST-GST would be in its film and TV industry. We are Hollywood North and we need a competitive tax system to keep that reputation alive and to ensure a thriving industry does not retreat to Ontario or California.

Bring back the PST-GST and production costs would go up -wiping out about 20 per cent of the film business we have today.

Vote to reinstate the PST-GST and B.C.'s economy and job growth potential will take a giant step backward.

Returning to a 12-per-cent double tax will mean B.C. families pay more and get less.

And because we would need to repay $1.6 billion to Ottawa, families would have to suffer through the necessary cuts to our health-care and education systems to recoup that extraordinary cost.

British Columbians need to start asking why HST opponents want to take money away from us. That's why I'm voting "no" to the PST-GST and encourage you to do the same. The cost of going back is too great.

Peter Leitch, co-chairman of the Smart Tax Alliance, is president of North Shore Studios and Mammoth Studios and chairman of the Motion Picture Production Industry Association of B.C.
If the government would have been honest in the firstplace and explained all of this and set a referendum with the election all of this could have been avoided. I have found the people of BC are not foolish but they have been angered by the government's mistrust of their own people and are not in the mood to believe anything said by these aristocratic minded fools.

Typical Liberal tactics. Threats, lies and bribes. They think they can do whatever they want. We are not their serfs.

PAB dollars hard at work !

PAB dollars hard at work ! WHY THE HELL IT WOULD BE ON HERE IS BEYOND ME!

YOU WORK IN THE BASEMENT OF THE LEDGE? Of course you do!

What's amusing about your statement is that I was not crediting those stats to the HST. I was merely showing those stats to prove that the HST is not hurting the economy.

However if you compare BC's stats to the rest of Canada, only Alberta's numbers are better than BC's. I'll let those numbers speak for themselves.

Why don't you show a few stats to support your anti-HST stance??

Ninety-one economists rally behind HST

By Jock Finlayson and Kevin Milligan, Vancouver Sun July 5, 2011

The referendum on the harmonized sales tax and the provincial sales tax/federal goods and services tax system presents an important choice for British Columbians. As the ballots arrive, we think it is important as economists to speak out on how we view the debate.

We are united in the belief that switching back to the old PST/ GST system is the wrong way to address important social and economic problems.

It is well known that value added taxes (like the HST) are superior to retail sales taxes (like the old PST). Because the PST taxed some inputs at every stage of production, the cascade of compounding taxes led to higher tax rates on investment. The HST, in contrast, taxes only final products at a clear and transparent rate. This is why 140 countries in the world use value-added taxes like the HST, and only a few jurisdictions in Canada and the United States still use taxes like the PST.

Economists know that removing a penalty to investment will produce more investment in capital goods like equipment, machinery and buildings. These investments support growth in jobs and wages. Removing barriers like the PST from the tax system is best for the long-run prosperity of B.C.

Many economists are also concerned about the fairness of outcomes. The new HST credit, by providing $230 per year for each family member in low-income families, helps improve the fairness of the HST. By exempting basic food and rent, the HST's burden on lower income households is again lightened.

We believe the HST represents a step forward for our tax system and economy. We urge you to consider this when you fill in your ballots.

Jock Finlayson is executive vice-president of policy at the Business Council of British Columbia. Kevin Milligan is associate professor of economics at the University of British Columbia. They submitted this letter with the support of 89 more economists from the academic and private sectors

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Af,lots of B.C/Canadian families live below the poverty line,not to mention low- income families... i doubt an extra $230/year will matter to this allready over-burdened sector.In tough economic times the Senior Goverment expects people to tighten their belts but often shows little regard for their own fiscal spending.

I think if the Goverment was forthcoming with the HST we wouldn't have needed this money waisting referendum. The B.C/Canadian taxpayers are suspicious at best of anything the Goverment does.

Granted there are many pros/cons to any new tax policies.In the end yes lesser is better & a overhaul of the whole tax system is long overdue...sammy

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder when the powers that be are going to get it. The average family and small business are already overtaxed and now they want to shift another 2.2 billion from corporations onto our shoulders.
Here we are still in a very serious recession. Family`s are hurting. Small business is hurting and what's their solution? MORE TAXES!
I'll spell it out for you; NO MORE TAXES!!!

http://hstjobs.ca/news/hstreferendumbc/

DRIVERS OF BC’S ECONOMY SAY PST-GST WILL HURT JOB GROWTH AND FAMILIES

In a rare display of solidarity, groups representing every sector of the B.C. economy came together today to make an impassioned case for the modern 10% HST and to warn of the risk to jobs, families, and the economy if British Columbia goes back to a 12% PST-GST.

Peter Leitch, Smart Tax Alliance Co-Chair and chair of the Motion Picture Production Industry Association of B.C., introduced leaders from all parts of B.C.’s economy. “Together, these groups represent members that employ more than 80 per cent of B.C.’s workforce,” said Leitch.

John Allan, President and CEO of the Council for Forest Industries for B.C. noted the importance of his industry in British Columbia: “Our members run about 100 facilities in more than 60 forest dependent communities. More than 150 thousand families directly and indirectly depend on our member companies for their livelihood and well-being.”

“HST opponents are fighting for a higher tax that hurts our industry and the tens of thousands of families who depend on it. Let’s do what’s right for B.C. and Vote ‘NO’ to keep the HST,” said Allan.

Judy Guichon, President of the British Columbia Cattlemen’s Association spoke to another critical part of the B.C. economy: “Agriculture puts food on the table for 35,000 agriculture workers across B.C. and another 30,000 people in the food processing sector. The new lower 10% HST plan is making the B.C. agriculture industry more competitive.”

Leitch urged voters to reject the anti-HST arguments: “In my industry, if you brought a script with as many plot holes as the anti-HST folks have, you wouldn’t get past the studio gate.”

“Together, everyone in this room wants to create jobs. That’s why we are encouraging all British Columbians to join us in voting NO to the PST-GST,” added Guichon.

Back