How to Sell for a good price (IMHO)

Morty

I recently sold my Arima. Did a lot of research first to learn a market value. Advertised it on AutoTrader.ca, Craigslist Vancouver, Canadian Listed, and Facebook Marketplace. 95% of the inquiries I received were from Craigslist.

The ultimate buyer was from near Portland OR and was here in Vancouver BC for a weekend event and saw my ad. It wasn't appearing on Craigslist Portland. Because there were other keen parties who were all planning on coming to see the boat on Tuesday after the Thanksgiving weekend (after fishing season had died down). Therefore, I emailed them all with the same message that there were multiple interests, they were all preparing to travel Tuesday, and that I didn't actually have an "offer" from any of them. The Portland buyer got on a plane on the Monday, thoroughly inspected the boat, and gave a deposit on a full price offer.

Now - important background:
- Oregon doesn't have any sales tax on boat purchases
- BC has no 12% PST on used boats IF: sold to a U.S. buyer, AND the boat is delivered by the seller, to the buyer, in the U.S.A.
- although I had all of the cross border paperwork prepared and in hand, and a full audit trail of boat ownership, I spent 3-1/2 hours at US CBP and never made it into Washington. Buyer had to drive to the border to complete the transaction in the CBP impound lot.
- the delays meant we passed the 1:00pm deadline for sending a wire transfer and I had to accept a Cashier's Cheque or do the trip all over again
- U.S. Cashiers cheques take 20 days to clear in a Canadian bank account. (but they're as good as cash)

Bottom Line; in addition to the usual: cosmetically clean your boat and make sure everything is working properly
* do your research on pricing of similar boats
* advertise on Craigslist Portland
* lead your ad with what's unique about your boat
* use a broker for clearing your boat across the border (they can also collect and guarantee your payment)

That's my de-brief!

When I sell something, I like to go to the buyers bank with them and be there when they withdrawl the cashiers cheque/money order. This way I know its real. Never had any push back from any buyer. If they did, they can hit the road.
Sounds like you did the same.

When I sell something, I like to go to the buyers bank with them and be there when they withdrawl the cashiers cheque/money order. This way I know its real. Never had any push back from any buyer. If they did, they can hit the road.
Sounds like you did the same.
US Border security was really fussy about me going beyond the border to sell a boat. Therefore I couldn't go to his bank. :-(
They indicated that it was both an immigration and an employment issue. "Canadians can't come into the states and sell their products" "It takes jobs away from American citizens"
Catch-22 was that the buyer wasn't going to pay in full in Canada before receiving the boat, and if he received it here it'd cost him $10,000+/- in PST.

Because it was a US made boat and trailer, he had no import duty either

US Border security was really fussy about me going beyond the border to sell a boat. Therefore I couldn't go to his bank. :-(
They indicated that it was both an immigration and an employment issue. "Canadians can't come into the states and sell their products" "It takes jobs away from American citizens"
Catch-22 was that the buyer wasn't going to pay in full in Canada before receiving the boat, and if he received it here it'd cost him $10,000+/- in PST.

Because it was a US made boat and trailer, he had no import duty either
Interesting, I once paid $5 to cross and ship some things I had sold on ebay. It sounds like they were "interpreting" the regs a little liberally. CBSA often does this, they have a half dozen acts and regs they try to interpret and enforce, so despite there being tons of rights for Canadians under CUSMA It might be that a completed bill of sale would have changed the ability to deliver.

I try to price in CAD and then list in the US in USD but facebook and craigslist list aren't well-equipped for multiple listings. I'd have priced it just under 99k CAD, but your USD pricing worked!

Your "Bottom Line; in addition to the usual: cosmetically clean your boat and make sure everything is working properly" advice is the best. When someone with money (not the peanut gallery, tire kickers) shows up they want a like "new" boat without the like-new price. Get everything off the boat and give it a good clean. Touch up all the paint and make it look mint.

Thanks for this info, I've had mine listed for a bit but only here and on FB, posted on CL this am. Have had some interest, but drumming up more via CL if that's where you got your primary interest is interesting....so I've posted there now too.

Thanks for this info, I've had mine listed for a bit but only here and on FB, posted on CL this am. Have had some interest, but drumming up more via CL if that's where you got your primary interest is interesting....so I've posted there now too.
Try AutoTrader (boat section) as well

Back