How to protect your kicker gas tank from getting water in the tank

jarettv

Hello all, I just wanted to start this thread to get your thoughts on how to protect your kicker gas tank from getting saltwater in the tank when out on the water. The previous owner of my boat (recently purchased) has the kicker tank sitting on the swim grid, up out of the water however. However, when she gets a little sloppy waves/ splashes can get a bit of water in the tank through the air vent. I recently took the carb apart on the kicker and sure enough there was a little bit of saltwater in it. I recycled the gas, rebuilt the carb, flushed the hoses, changed the fuel filter etc ... it purrs like a kitten now but I don't want this to happen again. I have looked at moving the tank inside the boat but there is no great place for it without it getting in the way when battling fish. Another option is to hook it up so the main and kicker run off the one tank however this isn't and option for this season. I have thought of the obvious, putting the tank in a plastic tote of some kind and drilling holes in the side to let air in. What do you think is the best way to deal with this? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Off the main is the best option and carry the small tank as a spare. I plumbed my kicker fuel line into spare connection coming off of the fuel filter housing for the main motor. You can pick up the same fitting that you would find on your spare tank that is made for your motor and thread it in. Takes amount 2 -3 minutes at most. Trotac has them. I believe for $20 or so. This way you can connect and disconnect the same way you do now for your kicker. The added benefit is that all the fuel going to your kicker will now be filtered too. Also you can carry your small tank as a clean fuel source just in case which can stored anywhere that you have room.

I would also put in a fuel shut-off. I have heard that sometimes the big motor will suck the fuel out of your kicker line all the way to the carbs and than suck air and your big motor will quit.

Thanks for the advice ... I should have chosen my words differently. Connecting to the main line is an option, I just didn't want to tackle another large job until the fall. Things are running great so I just want to fish :) ... However, according to Slater it sounds like it can be done pretty easily ...

Also, I don't know if this helps or not but I have a 21' Sea Hunt, she has a 58 gallon main tank ... my main motor is a 2004 2-stroke Merc, Saltwater series ... the kicker is a 9.8 hp 4-stroke Nissan (Tohatsu/ Merc ... same thing for those little kickers) ...

If the 2 stroke merc is oil injected then it will work just fine. If it's not you will still need two seperate tanks to run the different fuels. the instal of a t and shutoff should not take to long depending on acessability.

And a racor filter!! off the T with shut offs

For a quick fix bend up a candy cane shaped piece of soft copper tubing or brake line, grab a brass 1/8 MNPT to what ever diameter tubing you choose compression fitting and install it in your tanks cap. You could drill and tap the cap beside the existing vent or likely remove the existing vent and stab it in there. Just keep it short so there's not much leverage and weight up there, super easy.

Thanks everyone for the advice ... and yeah the 2-stroke merc is oil injected so its unmixed gas in the tank. I'll tackle this project on the weekend. Thanks again

Back