How to make a multidepth hali anchor line?

Thx @beemer im still missing something in your diagram. Perhaps I’m thinking of another different technique? I’m trying to have one continuous piece of rope in a tub then pay out to the target depth and then clip on to the bow/stern line. A float would be nice in case I need to cut the line and get my setup back later. What confuses me is that your diagram doesn’t show a connection to the bow/stern line from rode in the stern.

Here’s what I was gonna try (sans small float):

Attachments

• 859FD51D-BC33-4A5A-A685-2C535FA4FFD3.jpeg
    859FD51D-BC33-4A5A-A685-2C535FA4FFD3.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 40
Thx @beemer im still missing something in your diagram. Perhaps I’m thinking of another different technique? I’m trying to have one continuous piece of rope in a tub then pay out to the target depth and then clip on to the bow/stern line. A float would be nice in case I need to cut the line and get my setup back later. What confuses me is that your diagram doesn’t show a connection to the bow/stern line from rode in the stern.

I assumed there is no bow to stern line, the anchor line is simply tied off at the bow (?)

I assumed there is no bow to stern line, the anchor line is simply tied off at the bow (?)
Yes, I don’t use a bow to stern line when using this setup.Barry A , your set up will work great. The reason I use the figure of 8 on a float is to keep the scotsman well out in front of the boat. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
When splicing 3-strand rope for anchoring, how many tucks per strand does everyone use? I’ve got 4 then 3 tapered and it feels strong but my gut tells me go more.

Beemer
When you pull does it stay tight on the anchor line? Then just retrieve, remove and continue on? I used to place a small 2 by 4 piece of wood onto the anchor line with a bowline on a bite knot for easy removal once retrieved. This was in front of the float used to raise anchor.
worked great and easy for multidepth anchoring

This is exactly what I meant in my previous message. I think this would work well. If in trouble you would unclip like usual and you'd be free as long as the rest of the rope can come out of it box if that makes sense

Beemer
When you pull does it stay tight on the anchor line? Then just retrieve, remove and continue on? I used to place a small 2 by 4 piece of wood onto the anchor line with a bowline on a bite knot for easy removal once retrieved. This was in front of the float used to raise anchor.
worked great and easy for multidepth anchoring
the anchorline stays tight through the tension created by the figure of 8. I was sceptical at first but it holds a 30 foot boat in 3 knot current! You can also double the tension by passing the anchor line twice through the figure of 8 , (see previous photo) .

When splicing 3-strand rope for anchoring, how many tucks per strand does everyone use? I’ve got 4 then 3 tapered and it feels strong but my gut tells me go more.
I was taught by an experienced fella that 3 tucks is sufficient. So, I use 4 most of the time ;-)

Depends on how you proficient you are at splicing. I know it seems simple but you have to splice using the lay of the rope. I learned this splicing wire rope for towers and grapple yarders.

Back