How to make a multidepth hali anchor line?

Olde School

My hali anchor set up has approx 600' of line total.
This works well on the 300 - 400 foot deep rock piles.
I have the typical setup with a Scotchman attached to a SS ring.
Over the last few years I have found a few spots at far less depth so want to be able to disconnect at least one section of my line.
So, how to make this happen? I need a connection that will still slide through the SS ring when retrieving it the full 600 feet.

If you make a large eye splice in the shorter piece, you could pass the whole coil through the eye rather than pulling 200 feet through. Then you have an eye to eye connection that should slide through the ring.

or

Use a chain splice to connect a C link to the end of each piece of rode. If it's 3 strand rope, taper the splice and wrap in electrical tape to help it slide through the ring. You could do a quick wrap of tape on the Cs if they make you nervous once connected.

My hali anchor set up has approx 600' of line total.
This works well on the 300 - 400 foot deep rock piles.
I have the typical setup with a Scotchman attached to a SS ring.
Over the last few years I have found a few spots at far less depth so want to be able to disconnect at least one section of my line.
So, how to make this happen? I need a connection that will still slide through the SS ring when retrieving it the full 600 feet.
My anchor system has a 400 foot length of rope as my standard setup, using a 4 inch diameter ring attached to my Scotsman. If I want to anchor in deeper water (300 feet plus) I add on my 200 foot section of rope I have stored on the boat at all times. My 200 foot rope is spliced to a thimble at each end (knots will also work o.k.) and has a SS quick link left on one end. The 4" SS ring easily slides over the quick links and all the way up my anchor chain to the anchor. It takes less than 5 minutes to add in the extra 200 foot section of rope to my anchor system.
...Rob

I use c-links on 3 200' sections of my anchor line, works fine and passes through the ring no problem. Works easiest with 3 strand rope . Get your self a Swedish fid and keep the splice tight to the C-link

Last edited:
I use a climbing figure of 8 device . You can adjust the length of anchor line easily without splices or additional lines or gear. Works great and they are strong and cheap.

I use a climbing figure of 8 device . You can adjust the length of anchor line easily without splices or additional lines or gear. Works great and they are strong and cheap.
You have my attention. How does one adjust the length of line with one of these?

I have been considering adding some eyesplices, then connecting them as you would with waterski lines.
Remember back in the day when slaloming was the thing hahahaha if you got good you would remove 5' of length.

You have my attention. How does one adjust the length of line with one of these?
the figure of eight connects your main anchor line to your stopper float . You just attach the figure of 8 anywhere along your anchor line with the stopper float and the tension created by the figure of 8 holds you. I will take some photos later today.

4698378E-10AE-465D-877D-EEB1BB3ACBF9.jpeg

Attachments

• 8FB6DBF3-4B94-4F66-A46D-DE313D5B1C57.jpeg
    8FB6DBF3-4B94-4F66-A46D-DE313D5B1C57.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 117
  • 3919CFD5-1C45-4B9C-83B5-5AB9F445430C.jpeg
    3919CFD5-1C45-4B9C-83B5-5AB9F445430C.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 2A86DC98-DCDA-41AF-AC61-25C758E8967D.jpeg
    2A86DC98-DCDA-41AF-AC61-25C758E8967D.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 128
The last photo is using a double pass through the figure of eight . I usually just use the single and it holds well even in heavy current

Instead of the "stopper float" could you not clip the small end of this figure 8 device to your clip thats attached to your stern to bow line? then you can keep what length you want left over in your anchor rode box? just trying to figure this out to because I have a decent hali hole thats like 145 feet and I have 600 feet of rode. If i put it all out sometimes it leaves me in the wrong spot on the shelf if I dont guess correctly

Instead of the "stopper float" could you not clip the small end of this figure 8 device to your clip thats attached to your stern to bow line? then you can keep what length you want left over in your anchor rode box? just trying to figure this out to because I have a decent hali hole thats like 145 feet and I have 600 feet of rode. If i put it all out sometimes it leaves me in the wrong spot on the shelf if I dont guess correctly
I use a total of 600 ft of anchor line - two 100ft and one 400 ft section. The sections are joined with quick links, and I use a roller instead of a ring to prevent hangups.IMG_1020.JPG

No question, that would work as well!

Ok so here is my set up.
1.Payout your anchor line to length and depth you want
2. Attach scotsman to ring
3. attach the figure of 8 to the anchor line (see previous photos)
4.Attach figure of 8 to small float using a locking carabiner
5.Payout 30 to 40 feet of anchor line after the small float to set your distance between your boat and the scotsman
6. attach anchor line to your boat.

This is NOT a beginners setup.
screenshot.jpg

Back