How often do you replace your mainline

daddystoy

Just wondering how long you people leave your mainline on your reels before replacing? I would think guides probably change it more often than your average fisher.
Also, what about test strength; any preference 20 or 30lb test?

Thanks in advance

I run 30lb Maxima on the two reels I match with my "5" power mooching rods that I use for fishing deep, like in the mud out on the banks, and if we're into larger sized springs. I run 25lb Maxima on another two reels I match with "3" power mooching rods for fishing shallower than 100ft and/or for coho and small springs.

I check the last 10-20 ft frequently, after every fish, every few times up and down on the rigger, etc, and even if no nicks or kinks cut it off and re-tie every couple of days at minimum. Inevitably if you fish enough your gear will get fouled which usually means serious twists - I cut it all off as I don't want to hook the fish of a lifetime and lose it because I was too cheap or lazy to sacrifice some line. Start of the season I strip off 50ft and cut it off. Once I'm down about 1/5th of my spool it is time to strip off the remainder and put on new, about every 2-3 yrs for the amount I get to the coast and fish.

A tip I was taught to save on the amount and cost of re-spooling mono is to use a good backing to fill your spools so that it only takes 200-220 yards of mono to fill your reel (don't over fill right to edge of spool, asking for all kinds of trouble!). Thus, when replacing, you just have to buy the Maxima "One Shot" spool, which is 220 yards in the 25 and 30lb size. That's 660 feet of line, more than enough for downrigger fishing and hacking off the worn bits liberally for a couple of years.

Cheers!

Ukee

I run 30lb Maxima on the two reels I match with my "5" power mooching rods that I use for fishing deep, like in the mud out on the banks, and if we're into larger sized springs. I run 25lb Maxima on another two reels I match with "3" power mooching rods for fishing shallower than 100ft and/or for coho and small springs.

I check the last 10-20 ft frequently, after every fish, every few times up and down on the rigger, etc, and even if no nicks or kinks cut it off and re-tie every couple of days at minimum. Inevitably if you fish enough your gear will get fouled which usually means serious twists - I cut it all off as I don't want to hook the fish of a lifetime and lose it because I was too cheap or lazy to sacrifice some line. Start of the season I strip off 50ft and cut it off. Once I'm down about 1/5th of my spool it is time to strip off the remainder and put on new, about every 2-3 yrs for the amount I get to the coast and fish.

A tip I was taught to save on the amount and cost of re-spooling mono is to use a good backing to fill your spools so that it only takes 200-220 yards of mono to fill your reel (don't over fill right to edge of spool, asking for all kinds of trouble!). Thus, when replacing, you just have to buy the Maxima "One Shot" spool, which is 220 yards in the 25 and 30lb size. That's 660 feet of line, more than enough for downrigger fishing and hacking off the worn bits liberally for a couple of years.

Cheers!

Ukee
Exactly as UkeeDreamin said ! Maxima 30# ultra green for me also . Good tip with some backing and just change with a "One Shot " when replacing , and do not overload the spool . One thing i will also do , each season i will reverse the line so what was on the spool last year is the business end this year , there are some minor kinks when you start off but they work themselves out very quickly . Make sure to store your rods and reels out of the sunshine , the sun ages line very fast . Just my $.002

X3 on the Maxima. I do my reels at the beginning of season and reverse them half way though the season.

I use 20# spectra & use it for at least 5 years. I tie 40 feet of 40# mono on the end of the spectra & replace that yearly or whenever there is the slightest defect, whichever happens first. The 40# mono holds great in the release clip & takes the majority of abuse fishing line is subjected to. I feel I could go lighter on the mainline but with spectra the diameter change would not be worth it. I am also careful to keep my line out of the sun & weather. My drags are always backed-off (not related to line maintenance).
I'd say that in general with all types of lines, the lighter test the line, the more often it needs to be changed. The lower the skill level of the angler, the heavier the line. If using down riggers I would not use lighter than 20#. The heavier the line, the more bow/slack in the line you will have; not good for down rigger fishing.

I've got a extra large spool of the Maxima so I've got a couple seasons before that is all gone, but once it is all gone I'm thinking of doing up a couple rods that way to test out.

Some good tips. Thanks. I like the backing idea. I'll look into this. Probably going to get two reels re-spooled. Seem to have lots of twisting going on on the lines.

I use 40 lb Jerry Brown braid for my main line and top off with 20/30 yards of 30lb Maxima for a top shot. I do the same for my tuna bait sticks, but use a fluorocarbon topper. Going on five years on my main line. I just cut my top shot and retire as needed. Once my top shot is shorter then where I clip it to the down rigger clip it is time to tie on a new top shot. On my tuna gear I will go through a easy thirty to four feet of top shot each day. Give it a try you will like it...............

I'm running 300yd of 50# power pro for my mainline backing with 100yd of 30# pro spec. I cut off the mono whenever it gets twisted, and fully replace it about every 30 trips out.
The power pro I can reasonably expect to get 3-5 years out of.
Keep an eye on your swivels, you might go through/clean a couple a day when you're in the jellyfish, I save lots of line by giving them a quick high pressure spray with the washdown.

A service spool of 30 lb Big Game or Ande, which ever is cheapest. Maxima for leaders, yes.
For mainline a waste of money as it breaks down from uv rays and stretch just as easy as the others.
I have about 100 yds backing and re spool about every 30 days fishing. Also, cut off about 20 ft.....just beyond where you the line has been in the clip every 2 days. Nothing worse than a big fish breaking you off on the bite

Line twist - for the most part one of the "joys" of mono. As you can see, those that are using braid use it for at least 5 years. To cost compare with mono, the braid probably wins. Only downside of braid is that the mono-to-braid knot must be perfect.

Also, I always put about 4 twisted in the mono & clamp the release click on the twists - otherwise you WILL get abrasions from the clip.

Sorry - another downside of braid is that because it does not stretch, is is unforgiving of mistakes when playing fish such as holding onto the reel handle when you should not be.

Also, I always put about 4 twisted in the mono & clamp the release click on the twists - otherwise you WILL get abrasions from the clip.

Eric, I'm curious what you were saying here. I assume autocorrect got you?

I must say that braided line with a topshot of mono is nice for fishing deep, but Ive recently switched back to mono. I fish with too many people that dont know how to fish and having braided main line is just asking for trouble.

To answer the original question, I use 40# big game and clip off about 25 feet every few trips and re-spool once the reel is starting to look a bit empty. A large arbor reel holds over 1100 feet of 40# line which is plenty.

Hi aheny - thanks very much - yes, clamp the release clip on the twists. I clamp as deep into the clip as possible.

Back