Leaders, knots and terminal gear PSA

CBsqrd

That time of year when big fish are being caught and there seem to be lots of posts in the fishing reports section now of people losing fish to failed knots, snapped line, broken terminal gear, etc. and also of finding flashers being towed around on the surface still attached to fish after being broken off. Losing fish that spit the hook is part of fishing - you win some, you lose some (hopefully more of the former and less of the latter...), but unless the fish drags the line into something underwater like your other downrigger, someone else's gear, kelp, etc., a failed knot or broken leader/mainline should be almost 100% preventable.

Here's what works for us on our boat. We haven't lost a fish to a break off in several years. Last one I can remember was while fighting a seal for the fish when the line jumped off the reel and got caught up behind the spool locking up the reel. That being said, now I'm sure we'll snap off a few next time out!

1) For mainline, my current favorite is 30 lb Berkley Pro-Spec, close second is 25 lb Maxima Ultragreen.

2) Next, a salmon bead over the mainline before tying on a size 4 or 3 Sampo ball bearing swivel with coastlock snap.

3) For the knot, I use a San Diego Jam knot with 6 - 7 turns, which consistently tests very near or at the top in knot strength tests. It is slightly more complicated than a clinch/trilene/palomar knot, but after tying it a few times it can be done quickly and properly and it is easy to see if the knot is sitting properly. Wet the knot well before pulling tight.

4) For the leader, I use fluorocarbon (Seaguar Blue is my favorite), usually 30 lb for teasers and spoons and 50 lb for hoochies. Not only is fluoro more abrasion resistant than mono, it is also UV resistant so I can leave the leader board sitting on the dash all summer and not worry about the line degrading. San Diego Jam knot again to the swivel - bead chain or ball bearing - and lure, or egg loop if running tandem hooks.

5) Always check closely for nicks or pinches after landing a fish and replace the leader if there is any doubt. Despite the abrasion resistance, I usually find a pinch in the leader between the treble and stinger hook (when running bait) and end up replacing the leader after every decent fish.

6) For hooks, I like Owner. No Escape barbless for singles. Current favorite treble is the STX-45, although they are hard to find. Next favorite would be the STX-58, or sometimes the STX-41 although they are a bit on the soft side. I will not use the Gamakatsu barbless hooks anymore after seeing a big fish almost straighten out two of the tines on a size 2 hook.

Appreciate that everyone will have there line and gear preference. Also, these are our preferences and if I was guiding I'd be using heaver lines and leaders for starters. I think the main thing is to always be checking your mainline and leader for abrasions and replace / retie as necessary, and to use good knots that are tied properly.

Last edited:
Good topic. Start w/ quality terminal tackle of choice and check it often! No excuse for running frayed line/knots, dull hooks, rusty swivels/snaps, etc cuz if you do, you only have yourself to blame if you lose the big one. For me, checking gear regularly means ensuring swivels aren’t gummed by weeds, jellies, etc, line/knots are good and hooks are sharp. Re-tying some gear or a quick hook-point touch-up is time well spent no matter how often during the day.

My two-cents.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back