How not to fish

tubber

I did well on my last trip, but lost a couple dandies.
Pretty sure I had my biggest fish ever on (biggest is 32) and it made a couple huge runs right away. It turned into a long line release when I slowed down, farted around with the other side, let the boat turn itself toward the fish, and dipped my rod. It fell off. Should have kept going a full troll until I had things under control.
I fished for 30 minutes with a several strikes, but no fish during a hot bite with a new 3.0 Amundsen spoon. They come two to a pack, what a deal. Unfortunately, I didn't see the clear plastic hook shield until I was rinsing my stuff the next day. oops
I lost another good one when I was farting around with the one side only to see the other side off the clip and the rod pounding on a too tight drag. I reeled for a bit and it fell off. This is what came back. I weeg.jpg switched to a stainless 9510xx after that and the new little wee G did well, but the two biggest ones are still out there.

I did well on my last trip, but lost a couple dandies.
Pretty sure I had my biggest fish ever on (biggest is 32) and it made a couple huge runs right away. It turned into a long line release when I slowed down, farted around with the other side, let the boat turn itself toward the fish, and dipped my rod. It fell off. Should have kept going a full troll until I had things under control.
I fished for 30 minutes with a several strikes, but no fish during a hot bite with a new 3.0 Amundsen spoon. They come two to a pack, what a deal. Unfortunately, I didn't see the clear plastic hook shield until I was rinsing my stuff the next day. oops
I lost another good one when I was farting around with the one side only to see the other side off the clip and the rod pounding on a too tight drag. I reeled for a bit and it fell off. This is what came back. I View attachment 46221 switched to a stainless 9510xx after that and the new little wee G did well, but the two biggest ones are still out there.
I change the hooks on all those small spoons, the ones that come with them suck

I Lost a whooper of a fish this year after a Skinny G hook straitened out on me. Biggest fish I have ever hooked..... Lesson learned
Talking to guys at the dock, the Skinny G factory hooks have failed a couple other folks..

Owner America. I order direct from the USA and get them shipped to Sumas border for cheaper shipping and just GST at border to avoid customs/duty fees. Some stores stock some Owners but if you want the 3x, 4x strong ones and more choices in tip styles etc then ordering direct is nice. Save a lot of money too this way. I used to use Gammies quite a bit over the years but have found them not to be as strong as they were years ago especially when going to smaller sizes. For lighter biting situations the needle points are nice. When fish are hitting hard on a rigger clip then the cutting points tip style will penetrate jaw bones very nicely.

Cheap Chinese hooks should be replaced right out of the package.
Gamakatsu big river open eye 3/0 are a great hook option.
They stay sharp and hold fish.

I like the gammies as I have tons to work through but I have noted they are bending now after about 8 to 10 strikes, not failing but slowly bending. That good as I know when to change them out They do seem to stay very sharp.

Seams like all the stuff you buy today is disposable. Used my new Amundsen spoon on weekend and paint of tail after 1 day. Did notice plastic cover before using. Same for the skinny g spoons, rust after a week in tackle box, junk really, but catch fish.

HM

I'm surprised more skinny g's don't get twisted in half and break. Kind of disappointing that Gibbs took most of their manufacturing offshore after manufacturing everything in Canada for a hundred years. If you want a lure that out fishes the skinny G. Wee G etc., Try the Canadian made AP tackle spoons. They are made of stainless steel, good hooks. Yes, more money, but a far superior product.

You Guys got me all paranoid just checked every spoon and changed out a half dozen cheapo hooks.

I remember when LJ Coyote spoons were all the rage and it was the same Bee Ess they used the cheapest hooks ever all kinds of breakoffs.

I'm surprised more skinny g's don't get twisted in half and break. Kind of disappointing that Gibbs took most of their manufacturing offshore after manufacturing everything in Canada for a hundred years. If you want a lure that out fishes the skinny G. Wee G etc., Try the Canadian made AP tackle spoons. They are made of stainless steel, good hooks. Yes, more money, but a far superior product.

I have to agree with your comment on the Skinny G. I wrote a not so nice review to Gibbs, telling them it felt like I was using a single use spoon. They claimed they had only received 2 other complaints on the Skinny G. They came good and sent me 4 replacement spoons but still have the same issues. Great spoon but quality is not what it use to be. Attached is the review I sent.

Attachments

• 63BC831D-8F1A-4985-9675-0B7EA8FB86CD.png
    63BC831D-8F1A-4985-9675-0B7EA8FB86CD.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 63
They keep showing off the failed paint on their facebook page, as if its some kind of badge of honour. Each time I point out that maybe instead of bragging they should look at their manufacturing process to improve the adhesion of the paint. usually they just delete the post.

Skinny G, Coho Killer, Coyote Spoons, etc, etc.. Made in China. Very poor quality spoons as well as the hooks, paint and stickers included. Manufacturers pay close to nothing for those spoons but the huge premium we pay for the inferior product is ridiculous. I have been spending a bit more and get gear made locally, much better quality and no issue with getting barely one use.

BOYCOTT all those manufactures, refuse to spend your cash on their garbage product.

Apologize for the rant but it makes me sick!!

Back