How Much Fuel?

5-Salt Fever

These posts are always fun or painful...depending how much you burned.

We burned just over 8,700 liters last summer.

How much did you burn?

Around 350 gallons and caught about 85 lbs of salmon filleted. Not all gas burned fishing. But it still tastes better than store bought.

quote:Originally posted by 5-Salt Fever

We burned just over 2300 gallons last summer. How much did you burn?

US or Imperial Gallons?

With US, that works out to be 8694 litres

With Imperial that works out to be 10350 litres.

If you were just personal boating, that made for lots of fun.

Probably about 250 litres (roughly 50-60 gallons).
There are advantages to small boats.

Our fuel bill for the 20' and the 14' was just under $5K for last year. Bring on the fuel efficient diesel outboards.... we don't water ski so I don't care about all this "out of the hole" crap.... just give me a reliable, fuel efficient marine outboard.... PLEASE

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Our fuel bill for the 20' and the 14' was just under $5K for last year. Bring on the fuel efficient diesel outboards.... we don't water ski so I don't care about all this "out of the hole" crap.... just give me a reliable, fuel efficient marine outboard.... PLEASE

You mean to tell me you find 4 stroke outboards thirsty? You gotta be kidding me!?

2 stroke in the Optimaxes give a tuned 4 stroke a tough act to follow!

My car doesn't cost me $30 per hour to run.... why should my boat...if not for all this tuneing to be "fast" instead of "fuel efficient....I think they could do a lot better....

My neigbours diesels cost a few bucks an hour....sure I'm going a little faster (okay three times as fast)...but if all the gearing and design on outboards was for effeciency instead of speed I think we'd get some decent fuel savings. It's a Dodge Viper vs Honda Accord design tradeoff issue. None of the marine companies seem to have targeted pure fuel efficieny as a differentiator on their product lines yet. Still all about POWER!!!

Cars and boats are not the same thing: boats don't roll along at lower rpm; they're always working hard.

Diesel outboards? That sounds interesting! [8D]

Yanmar [http://www.yanmar.com.au/marine/d_series/dseries.htm][/url] has been doing them for years up to 36hp but rumour has it that they and a few others are working on some larger HP models.

Thinking about putting one of these on the new 14 foot welded aluminum we are having made for running back and forth across the bay with guests/luggage. Really only need 25hp. Only thing I'm not sure about is cold winter starts... It doesn't get that cold here but cold enough that diesel ignition could be a iffy...

I never kept track, and don't really want to know.

If I start pinching pennies, then I better sell the beast.

best guess would be 1,500 litres burnt in 2006, on 7 lakes across Southern BC last Summer and crabbing/prawning the Saanich Inlet... way fun!!!
PinchMe:D

I burn about a gallon per day (4-5 hours fishing)and did about 30 trips, so that's about 30 gallons. Jeez, I hadn't realized that I had bought that much gas.;)

The best thing you can do to optimize fuel efficiency is to add Bennett trim tabs. Heres the link http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/ THE BENNETT ADVANTAGES
Performance
Increase Speed ? Reduce Pounding ? Correct Listing ? Eliminate Porpoising ? Offset Prop Torque
Efficiency
Reduce Fuel Consumption ? Reduce Engine Laboring ? Eliminate Squatting
Safety
Improve Visibility ? Reduce Wake ? Improve Handling ? Reduce Hull Stress These things really helped my 20' Alumaweld boat. Wow what a difference. Check it out and see for your self.

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

quote:Originally posted by 5-Salt Fever

We burned just over 2300 gallons last summer. How much did you burn?

US or Imperial Gallons? With US, that works out to be 8694 litres -
If you were just personal boating, that made for lots of fun.

Tuna...lots of Tuna.

Fished on a 72ft Donzi Sportfisher this week in Cabo. We burned 5,100 or so liters in three days - diesel no less. Chatting with owner he figures he spends US 475-550k per year running maintaining the boat. Heck the full time crew cost him 115k per year not including tips. This is all for pleasure and tournament fishing - no commercial work what so ever. But what a beatiful boat...

That is some deadication to fishing.

Back