How many hours is too many?

Starting to get two footitis. Looking at used boats. How many hours is too many on a motor? I know every motor is different but just a few opinions would be nice.

Thanks

inboard, outboard, diesel, gas, approx hp?
hrs are important to a point but i would give credence as to how well it was maintained. may be more important in some situations....

Last edited by a moderator:
I would stay away from any 4 stroke with over 2500 hrs. Unless it's been rebuilt by reputable shop, but still should be cheaper for that fact. 2 strokes.....doubt you can find many with built in hour clocks. Wouldn't rely on sellers word either. Just my opinion.

Those 4.3's will run forever with some mechanical know how. Good motors. Lots of guys on here run those and 3.0l. Gm built a kajillion of those babies for the road. Lots of parts and easy to get

A lot if times higher hours and more use equal a motor lasting longer. It's the sitting for months or years at a time that Can be the trouble!

A lot if times higher hours and more use equal a motor lasting longer. It's the sitting for months or years at a time that Can be the trouble!

JAC got it right. the 4.3's a strong motor that should last a
long time. in a marine application prob good for another 1000 hrs before too much concern as long as it's serviced regularly. (ie oil changes) I had one in an older (2005) blazer that didn't burn a drop of oil after 300,000 K... was still running strong.

Those 4.3's will run forever with some mechanical know how. Good motors. Lots of guys on here run those and 3.0l. Gm built a kajillion of those babies for the road. Lots of parts and easy to get
I have the 3.0 ltr GM right now. Pulled it with a friends tractor a couple years ago. Other than the machine shop work I had done we rebuilt it ourselves. I bought a manual and my friend had a lot more knowhow than I did. But it wasn't rocket science.

I'm a firm believer in this. Motors don't like sitting unused.

I'm a firm believer in this too. I've been running twin Verado 250's. I've been on top of the lubes and oil changes, they have over 1600 hrs and running like new. Upgraded both lower units on a Mercury recall recently. As a coincidence, if you're in the market for a 30 footer, you can check it out for sale!

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?28111-For-sale-2006-Boston-Whaler-Conquest-305

I would contact a machine shop that rebuilds engines and ask them.
I would think the block has another 700-1000 hours left but the heads are nearly done.
It might be in the order of $1700 to get them rebuilt.
Good luck.

Motors like to be run, yes, but properly stored and maintained engines work just fine too. More mechanical movement means more wear and tear. I'll take a cream puff trailer queen over a commercially whored out used and abused any day.

Sounds like you're on the wrong forum F.M. ;)

Hahaha..nice roast RS Craven.

Most of the folks who are getting big time hours out of their engines run them easy, service them, and rack up the hours before corrosion gets 'em.

Got about 3500 hrs on mine now,
I maintain it well, but realize that it will blow up sometime
it doesn't owe me a nickel.:)

1,000 hours is like 100,000 miles. 2,000 hours is 200,000 miles. I wouldn't touch anything that has had major work done to the leg or engine, they are never the same after that. Bolt on a new leg don't rebuild it, same goes for the engine.

Back