how do I Mooch???

lucky strikes

Hey everybody. I have fished using downriggers before, but would like to try mooching. The Area I frequent regularly is in and around Active Pass. I see guys at the entrance outside of Sturdies Bay all the time fishing. What type of gear do I use, lengths, weights etc. I Fish out of a 17' Whaler. What do i do with the boat, speeds etc. And do the rods just sit in the rod holders and the motion of the water create the action?? Thanks for the help.

Secret Island BC

Fish cut plug herring, two single hooks tied in tandem, with an approximate 6 ft leader of approx 20 lb test. Use approx an 8 oz weight, most prefer weights that slide on the mainline (round or banana shaped). Your mainline terminates to a bead and swivel and the leader is tied to this. Some place another swivel in the middle of the leader to minimize twisting the line. Fish along tide lines and try to keep in around 50 - 100 ft of water. Keep your lines on a slight angle, almost straight down. Learning how to manouver your boat it the greatest difficulty. I would start by learning to troll with this setup very very slow along the shore near the backeddies and learn the contours of the bottom. Then begin fishing the back eddies and kick your engine in and out of gear, best with a small engine if possible. If you have a good cut plug the bait will not require much water speed to spin the herring.

There's a reason very few people fish Active Pass anymore-damned few fish-Porlier has been better lately.
Be careful though-it can be a dodgy place.
Dowrigging is much easier than power mooching-which is what you're asking about-that's why so many people use downriggers now.

livin' la vida pesca!

Back