Hourston Rebuild Value

EZZ70

Hey guys, I want to throw out a question to all and ask for some feedback...

So, do you think there may be a few dollars to be made by doing a few of these 23'er Hourston's? I was thinking of only doing the grunt work which includes replacing stringers and transom and floor. Paint, hardware and all other finishing will be by others.

I know some of you guys have done several rebuilds, did anyone ever make money? LOL

Unless the new owners adopt up to date build techniques like vacuum bagging ,fiberglass stringer systems,composite transoms ,self bailing decks and no wood anywhere I think their market will be small.There are lot's of loyal Hourston fans but a new build will be competing against well established brands like Robalo,Boston Whaler,Pursuit etc.as well as all the Aluminum builders that are selling well these days.

26ft island runners not 23s

People are pretty keen on the Island Runners and we are approached often about parting with ours. I have been looking around fairly solidly at moving onto something a bit bigger but I am not finding anything that is motivating enough at this time, unless I want to really throw down a ton of cash. I know this boat inside out and upside down, the cockpit is self bailing, it bashes through most of what I throw at it steadily at 20 knots and I can fish out of it not bad solo. So if the new guys, who bought the molds off Blue Star, are going to bring out something stunning like a properly balanced and podded IR, it might be interesting to the market. I figure I am looking at $60,000 to turn ours into that which I have looked into.

By the way these are not built bullet proof and I have looked at 2 this past summer, other than ours, which had some issues and will cost some serious cash to repair. One was very wet and that was simple neglect, the other was due to some poor accessory installation causing some very unnecessary structural damage. We have found some exposed wood in ours in some odd places that was dealt with promptly. Point being, even in some of those big names mentioned above, boats need continual care and feeding consistently to stay ahead of the curve as we all know well.

Depends on hows much you would have into the refits, there's a market for them. If you get the hulls cheap and some slave labour who knows maybe there's a profit to be made as functional clean hourstons. Figure out the cost of material on top of your purchase price and go from there. If you put them on a good used trailer and had an option to purchase hull and trailer or hull trailer motor package. A cost plus program for clients. Of course your going to want to pay yourself a wage at the very least. First one would be a test pilot keep track of all your hours and divide by profit on sale to see if the next one is worth it. There's always a market for specific boats just a numbers game to see if it's a business, hobby or a bust. Never know with out trying many business ideas people will come out negative lots of the time but if you believe in it stay on top of your math could be a great biz. Make sure you don't build it to your liking only, know what the market wants and many listed musts on this thread. Self bailing decks, gravity drain fish holds, etc. Do some market research, what will that boat realistically sell for in today's market and who are the buyers. If you build a real signature machine people will come to you to produce another, create your own niche market. Some buyers may need to finance so a complete package that fetchs a good appraisal/survey for the bank will help move them.

One other point, don't build a frankenboat that is too far away from the original unless you have a client willing to pay for bespoke features. If you go too far off the beaten path, you will vastly limit your final product's marketability. If it was me, I would go with a total stock rebuild, or at least offer the same factory options but with modern technology.

Thanks guys, something to think about, this would not be my bread winner, that's for sure!

Especially if you put command bridges on them.

Really, we are still on that? lol

O my, once its done you will change your mind :) It's a great place for storage if nothing else... although it may look better on a 26' if you guys can find one for me. :confused:

Just under the hourston decal or somewhere you should call it a such and such edition so your marks on it. Start your branding :)

Great ideas... realistically I could only do 1 or 2 at most per year, the other "unknown" would be finding hulls at an affordable price point. anything over 2-3k for a complete gut would not be feasible, just a thought! I have been searching for a 26 for a few months without any success thus far, are old hulls ending up in the shredder and landfill?

Last edited:
Not to derail but what would someone pay for a say 23ft Hourston rebuilt hull with new stringers. All set to go with or without pod, What would it be worth?

Not to derail but what would someone pay for a say 23ft Hourston rebuilt hull with new stringers. All set to go with or without pod, What would it be worth?

Good question, thx Casper... I might be out to lunch but I would think at least 10k. anyone, anyone...?

Really, we are still on that? lol

O my, once its done you will change your mind :) It's a great place for storage if nothing else... although it may look better on a 26' if you guys can find one for me. :confused:
Oh I'm a big fan of the command bridge on my 30 ;)

Oh I'm a big fan of the command bridge on my 30 ;)

I agree big difference 23' and 30', I kinda like the looks of it, if not, it can always come off without too much effort.

Back