Hornby/Denman Reports

dfrase

Heading up there for a week (first week of July)... just wondering if anyone has been out there at all....

Cheers,
dfrase

Wind was blowing good so tried fishing for just a few hrs in late afternoon. Right off trib in 130-160ft. Couple of nice wild coho within first half hr- popped the pins. back innthe water they went. Got two nice lil springs round 8-10 lbs that also went back in. springs were right at the end of fishing and bite seemed to be on but had to head in. Coho at 80 with bait. Springs at 120 on irish creme spoon

Good first day but hope to find some bigger fish

Cheers,
Dfrase

Wow, 45 lb Chinook off Trib...I grew up two bays over (Sandpiper Beach/Downes Point) and fished the heck out of that area...more coho than I could shake a stick at, but not too many big springs...that being said, a six ounce sliding weight, Abe and Al flasher and a gold hoochie at 11 pulls didn't get us down too far ;)

FishWish

and the good ole custom made herring rake !!
tribune bay , Fl rock , was it Eagle rock ? just to the west as well ?? forgot , UNREAL coho days for sure ,yes the odd nice spring...
one of my fav spots of all time , the good ole Bowser Bills Days !!
gettin pushed down the railroad track type boat launch , in my 12 ft tinny solo, 15hp evinrude ... 11 yrs old ...
won my first derby at 12 yrs old , last boat in , final day , 100 guys laughin at the little kid comin up the boat trolly !!
Pulled my tub out and said " How da ya like dem marbles " : ) i remember winning a free dinner at the German Schnitzel House in Bowser lol
i will never forget that day !! abe n al flashers , clover leaf hoochies , 6 oz slip weights , 30-40 pulls , in the old school scotty rod holders : )
we miss ya John...

Veena Scnitzel yaa...: )

fd

Oh, yah....forgot about the herring rake...dad would be up at the bow of the tinny, raking the herring, and I would be at the stern picking them up as he shook them off above my head...herring rain storm. Awesome!

FishWish

id set up my big cooler in the back , rake from up the front , swoop from bow ta stern , shake em in my cooler , 3-4 inch firecrackers ,
1oz weight , # 2 single hook ,48 in leader , fished live , in gear , outta gear , inn gear WHAM , what a blast , still have my custom local foldable aluminum rake in the shed !!

Oh, yah....forgot about the herring rake...dad would be up at the bow of the tinny, raking the herring, and I would be at the stern picking them up as he shook them off above my head...herring rain storm. Awesome!

FishWish

id set up my big cooler in the back , rake from up the front , swoop from bow ta stern , shake em in my cooler , 3-4 inch firecrackers ,
1oz weight , # 2 single hook ,48 in leader , fished live , in gear , outta gear , inn gear WHAM , what a blast , still have my custom local foldable aluminum rake in the shed !!

Thats awesome. I remember when the herring balls up here were so thick u could dropma bucket overboard and haul em in. Better the past 3-5 yrs but not close to what it was

FD is right-that's why so many of use had bow-riders-kneel in the front-tap the rake on the top of the window and herring into the back where a little dust scoop and brush would get them off the floor. Would still work today if you could find the herring. Maybe still some at |Grants reef

Damn those were the days, still wish for them coming back. Most boats I counted at Norris was 225 one August evening. Last week there were two?

I learned to fish around Tribune Bay, Norris Rocks and Flora Islet with my Uncle Joe back in the early 80's.
We used a wooden herring rake and I would go on the bow and rake them back in the tub on the motor. Man that was hard on the arms and back.
Tandem hook, 2 ounce weight and 20 pulls. We never even bothered with a rod holder as the bites came just too quick.
Would stop by Chrome island on the way home and jig a cod for fish a chips for dinner. Best fishing I ever had.

Later I got my own boat and aluminum folding herring rake. The Coho disappeared mid nineties and had to find other paces to fish.
Hope it returns some day.

We used to launch at Union Bay and another one closer to Courtenay.

Dave

things picked up a bit today and we had a great day on the water...

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 409
Beautiful catch dfrase. Nice to see some bigger fish than the past few years. Tough catching one like that on calm water and 28 degrees!

Back