Hook set

opto55

I am new to fishing downriggers, last weekend had 4 hits and landed 2 fish. We were fishing at 35 ft. Should you set the hook when you get a hit?:)

yes, sometimes the fish may not pull it off the downrigger right away, and even if it does, i still give it an insurance set:D

2 for 4 isn't really that bad.

some days you might go 4 for 4, others (heaven forbid) 0 for 4.

it kinda depends on whether the fish is off the clip or not, but, yeah, i like to the insurance set too. ;)

I find I hook and keep more on by reeling hard to pick up the slack and keep reeling until the fish is well on with good pressure. With sharp hooks that's all you need.

I'd rather nail it as soon as I feel the full pressure of the fish. I hate it when I say I should of set the hook, when it shakes off halfway through the fight.:( eman

quote:Originally posted by salmon9

I find I hook and keep more on by reeling hard to pick up the slack and keep reeling until the fish is well on with good pressure. With sharp hooks that's all you need.

That's all you need, this, with the help of a tight tension set on the release clip. If you find you have to "set the hook" by pumping the rod, you don't have sharp hooks.

I find the bronze eagle claw hooks are plenty sharp straight out of the package.Set the line deep in the downrigger clip and when you get one on,reel up until your rod tip is pointing down 3/4 of the way to the water.One quick jerk and you're off the downrigger and set the hook in one stroke.
Lost too many by giving it the big heave ho when they strike.Like they say-"tight lines"
But this is what works for me

I set my lines about 1/3 of the way into the clips. I find the light set on the clips means that you are less likely to be trolling a shaker or bottomfish inadvertantly.

Whether i set the hook, depends on the hit. With a hard hit, i keep the tension on, line taut and pump the hooks like JuandeOne and salmon 9 said. Only time i set the hook hard is if the fish is swimming up or toward the boat so that when it hits the rod goes slack - then wind hard and give er a good tug!

I do the same thing hootchiebob, as soon as i see the rod move, grab it and reel in very tight with the rod in the water, then it depends on what happens. if it pops off, i'll set it , if it doesn't pop off right away, i'll pop it off then set it right away. some people like to let the downrigger set the hooks for them, and maybe it works well, but i've almost never lost a fish while setting the hook so i figure it can't hurt. also, i bury the line in the clip. right to the back, that way you can reel in all the slack without having it pop out on you, and it gives the hook a sort of temporary set until you can get it and give it a good one.

I find that Chinook slack line 9 times out of 10, so I always hammer them. We've not lost a hook set in at least the last dozen hook ups. I find most people lose their fish by not keeping constant pressure, rather than the hook set. We've had many fish in the boat where the hook falls out of the mouth after pressure is released. To me that's the most important factor.

Salmon9 has it right. You must get the bow out of the line between the rod tip and the clip asap after a hit. If not there is normally slack in the line when the clip releases. That's when Mr. fish spits the hook. So, when the fish is first seen to be on the line, reel as fast as possible to take the bow out of the line. If you are using sharp hooks, that's all it will take to set the hook.

The clip set and the size of the fish will normally dictate when the clip lets go of the line. If the line is set shallow in the clip, a smaller fish will trigger a release and the downrigger will not drag it up; however, a large fish strike will release the clip before the hook has penetrated its mouth and it will likely be gone quickly. Some think it better to have the rigger pull up a small fish than to lose a large fish[8D]

Oh yes, I practice this method, not because I learned it by myself, but because a very excellent guide out of Ucluelet became very stern with me if I didn't[8D]

Thanks Kenny!
Tom

I fish KoneZone Trolling Flashers. When you get bit with these babies the fish are very aggressive. Most of the time there is no hook set needed. But when in doubt, STITCH LIPPS! [8D]

I always set the hook. Especially if you're fishing deep, there's a moment of slack as the clip releases and the right angle comes out of the line, and a fish that might not have the hook set by the strike will only be lightly attached. I always hit the fish when the line comes tight, not with a big jolt, but witha quick, hard snap. I've never broken anything off that way, or pulledd of a spring's lip, so it's hard to see how it's a bad idea.

Back