Honda kicker running on only 1 cylinder

Degree of Freedom

I've got a 1999 Honda 9.9 that intermittently runs on only one cylinder. seems like it's the coil...but before I start blindly throwing new parts at it, any one have any input?
Thanks!

If you can determine which cylinder is misfiring, you could swap over components to see if the miss follows.

I was having the same issue with mine this past summer. The long trolling hours fouled a plug causing it to misfire. New plugs, and the issue was resolved. I would start there.

If and when you figure out your problem,and parts are needed,I'd recommend getting them from " boats.net". They're
based out of Florida,but can usually get them to you within 1 weeks time. Even with shipping and duty costs,still far
cheaper than buying Honda Marine parts in Canada!!

We had this same issue year before last. Tried the plugs and no joy, turns out it was the coil. Sourced one out up here (Canada) and WOW! $$$.$$, so Google is your friend, and Dad found one in the States, Genuine Honda OEM at 1/3 the price up here but,,, he would not ship to Canada. So he had it shipped to a friends place in Arizona, whom he was going visit shortly thereafter, and then brought it home from there. It is staggering to see the markup on some (a lot) of the items up here in Canada. Some way some how, somebody didn't get the memo that our goods up here in Canada are not all delivered by bush plane or dogsled, and the internet makes the world a lot smaller. In this case, the amount that Dad saved on this coil, paid for almost all of his plane ticket down there and back, in my opinion that is ridiculous.

BTW installed the new coil, and that kicker has not run that good in years. I don't think that the starter even made one full revolution and the motor fired right up and runs perfect!

FH

thanks FH...priced a coil at the Honda dealer...$140 and back ordered 2 months. will try and source an oem or used...although I'm not a fan of used ignition parts.

thanks FH...priced a coil at the Honda dealer...$140 and back ordered 2 months. will try and source an oem or used...although I'm not a fan of used ignition parts.

Hey DOF, if you find a source for a coil can you let me know, I'm having the exact same issue and I'm sure it's the coil. Thanks!

Gnb

Replaced the coil and its running like new. Also got a new kill switch. Switch was $80 for a Honda part or $7.99 at HC for a universal replacement.

Perhaps I should have read the OP over twice before posting:eek:. Our Kicker is a Yamaha, not a Honda, the part we needed for the Yamaha was significantly higher cost than that up here.

In the Yami there are four components to the ignition system. Stator/rotor, CDI, Ignition Coil, and finally the plugs. We went through the system from the plugs up (of course it was the Expensive part that was shot - the Stator). Turns out that the stator delivers power to the CDI and then on to the Ignition coil and then on to the plugs. When we removed the Stator there was a section of the coils that were burnt out, so we weren't getting enough power to the ignition coil and only enough to fire one side.

Yeah, I also am not a fan of used ignition parts, if you have to for temporary fix - fine, but to rely on them - not so much.
Two months back order is fairly significant, you may want to hunt around online, you will most likely find it cheaper and could see it at your door sooner as well. You will need your serial#/model# to search the online catalogs.
Good Luck!

I see that you were posting at the same time as I was one finger typing LOL!
Congrats! HC to the rescue!
:D
FH

Last edited by a moderator:
Back