Historically Important & Little Known Vessels

The St. Roch at the Maritime Museum in Vancouver has historical significance as well. If you have never had the tour, it is a nice way to learn some marine history. The artifacts on board that original manufacturers helped provide for the display really take you back in time. I have seen it three times.

The St. Roch was the first vessel to traverse the Northwest Passage from west to east (1940-1942), the first to complete the passage in one season (1944) and the first to circumnavigate North America.

Built in British Columbia, named after a parish in Quebec, captained by a Norwegian immigrant, crewed by farm boys from across the country and helped by the Inuit, the St. Roch is a treasured piece of our maritime heritage.

IMG_9116.jpeg

From 1987 until 1990 I lived at Sandspit and got to know Neil and Betty fairly well.
I had breakfast with them many times in the cafe at the Sandspit Inn and enjoyed hearing their tales of Puffin Cove etc.

Great couple and I relished the time I had with them.

Take care.
I lived there through the 90's. Used to stop and visit them occasionally. They were really nice people and had great stories. Last time I was there about 5 years ago Neil was still around.

Back