High Tech Jigging

Mine is nothing so grand as his-I wanted it smaller so all my gear can stay on and go in the garage-low enough hp to be cheap to run-and a big enough dance floor to make a grady owner envious, LOL Me and my new dog buddy are going to cut a swath and learn to keep up to ILHG, his son and Waterwolf2230--well close at least.
Mine is nothing so grand as his-I wanted it smaller so all my gear can stay on and go in the garage-low enough hp to be cheap to run-and a big enough dance floor to make a grady owner envious, LOL Me and my new dog buddy are going to cut a swath and learn to keep up to ILHG, his son and Waterwolf2230--well close at least.

Sounds like a premium CR slaying machine!

i had looked into a custom 18’ runabout type build by shadowline earlier this year but the wife decided it wasn’t the right time.

I look forward to seeing the final product and hope it works out for you.

I have a short Campion 16 CC and I love it! I don’t own downriggers. Boat is uncluttered so easy to run around on when you’re hooked up. Boat control with the smaller rig makes it easy to stay vertical on the bait and fish. I love it. I’m sure you’ll love that rig!

I'm looking to get my 12ft boat rigged for jigging up on the sunshine coast in 2022 - will be perfect for me and the youngest. For fish finders, any reason why a Garmin STRIKER Plus 4cv Fishfinder with GT20-TM Transducer wouldnt be up to the task for this? TIA

I think any fish finder that allows you to consistently identify baitfish concentrations is going to work. I haven't used the really high end stuff, I imagine it confers an advantage. Consistently identifying salmon would probably be a real benefit - but I can only sometimes identify then and get as many fish as I did trolling.

I think any fish finder that allows you to consistently identify baitfish concentrations is going to work. I haven't used the really high end stuff, I imagine it confers an advantage. Consistently identifying salmon would probably be a real benefit - but I can only sometimes identify then and get as many fish as I did trolling.
Thanks - will plan on going for this then. :)

I'm looking to get my 12ft boat rigged for jigging up on the sunshine coast in 2022 - will be perfect for me and the youngest. For fish finders, any reason why a Garmin STRIKER Plus 4cv Fishfinder with GT20-TM Transducer wouldnt be up to the task for this? TIA
Just make sure the display is large enough that you can read it from anywhere in the boat just by turning your head while jigging. Having to take a step or two toward it and squint at the screen to see bait would get old very quickly. I'm constantly glancing at the sonar when I jig. Slow drift across bottom and the bait moving around means the picture is changing all the time.

Good point - my boat is small enough that its always pretty close - you do want to be able to watch it while actually fishing

Seems like the supply chain has been restored on the Shimano centre weighted jigs. PNT had a reasonable selection when I dropped in last week, although nothing in the 130 g size. Harbour Chandler shows stock on their website.

Dropped some butterfly jigs at WH last week but couldn't nail a spring (trolling bait and lures didn't get them that day either). But every so often I'd tap bottom with the jig and hit a ling almost every time. Nice fish in that sweet 15-20 lb range.

I want to experimwnt with a drag device this summer, a 5 gallon pail on a leash should do for starters. Thinking I cleat it to one side of the transom and see if that slows down the drift. Back trolling is OK but some directional stability is needed too.

Anyone have some tips for this concept?

Ive considered buying a drogue, but have no experience using anything like that. Depending on windand current it might be possible to slow the drift and get the bow into the wind instead of the stern. Curious on how well buckets work, my thoughts are on a big boat with lots of windage the bucket will be to small.

Cabelas sells these drift anchors. thinking of picking one up myself

Cabelas sells these drift anchors. thinking of picking one up myself
I have had a drogue and seemed to me they are a waste of time for jigging purposes. They work fine if it is a wind you are trying to combat but if it is tide they are useless-The best method is being right on the motor-either back trolling or moving forward or both-not easy but a drogue will just get in the way-unless it is wind drift you are trying to combat.

Just back into it (current or wind), and be on the wheel for directional modifications. When wind or current are too much, or they combine to be too much, do something else,
fb

Have given this technique a couple of goes now - what's been interesting to me is that i have had zero success with the flatfall jigs, but the Mac Deep has smashed it. Unsure if I am doing something "wrong" with the flatfalls, but the Mac Deep will remain my go-to for the time being.

Have given this technique a couple of goes now - what's been interesting to me is that i have had zero success with the flatfall jigs, but the Mac Deep has smashed it. Unsure if I am doing something "wrong" with the flatfalls, but the Mac Deep will remain my go-to for the time being.
I think we learn to jig for salmon with whatever we have our successes on-we start to believe in that jig and fish it with more enthusiasm! I like the flat falls- the Original Riptide (member here) got me going on riptides- they are great!! and Macdeeps I have fished them-they work very well but I've come to realize there are only so many bait balls in a day(scarcer this year) so you go with whatever you have on. I'll put on a Mac Deep for a day-maybe that'll be the ray of sunshine!!

Those flat falls have hooked exactly zero salmon for me, and I've tried a bunch. I have fish come take a look at them and quickly lose interest and swim away. Lings eat anything that seems like it might get away, so they don't count. Coltsniper jigs and oldschool darts have been where it's at for me.
fb

Those flat falls have hooked exactly zero salmon for me, and I've tried a bunch. I have fish come take a look at them and quickly lose interest and swim away. Lings eat anything that seems like it might get away, so they don't count. Coltsniper jigs and oldschool darts have been where it's at for me.
fb
Agreed. Flat falls suck
04ADF7FD-0F42-489B-BC56-FAFD8C297103.jpeg
I’ll be there in a few weeks for 3. I hope these work!

Back