High Tech Jigging

Trevalas are nice (I have two), but the true slow pitch rods are game changing. They seem to work the jig in a more seductive manner. Can’t say why, but the results speak for themselves.

Trevalas are nice (I have two), but the true slow pitch rods are game changing. They seem to work the jig in a more seductive manner. Can’t say why, but the results speak for themselves.
I've been looking at a few online, but they're $$$. Do you know of anywhere on the island that currently sells slow pitch rods?

These ones are true slow pitch-complete with the modified buts. range in price from 174 to 299. I slow pitch jig and I have 5 from various makers including shimano grapplers and quite a few chinese-ones including a GOOfish These are worth a look

These ones are true slow pitch-complete with the modified buts. range in price from 174 to 299. I slow pitch jig and I have 5 from various makers including shimano grapplers and quite a few chinese-ones including a GOOfish These are worth a look
i’ve managed to do ok with that reel i bought off you and my trevala. i still can’t believe you caught tyee class fiah on that little rod. looked like something you’d use ice fishing. can’t wait till i can target salmon. the metered line is super cool

i’ve managed to do ok with that reel i bought off you and my trevala. i still can’t believe you caught tyee class fiah on that little rod. looked like something you’d use ice fishing. can’t wait till i can target salmon. the metered line is super cool
The little rod has amazing back bone-had a great fight 2 days ago with 2 x 15 lb class fish at the hump. Caught them one right after another so I left cause it was pretty obvious I would only get salmon. Fun but I'm scared of injuring one on the release

I've been looking at a few online, but they're $$$. Do you know of anywhere on the island that currently sells slow pitch rods?
Pacific Net and Twine should have a few options. They do at their Stevenson store. They have way more in store than they show on their website.

Pacific Net and Twine should have a few options. They do at their Stevenson store. They have way more in store than they show on their website.
If you buy from china you can get a pretty decent rod for 120 or less-Takes about 6 weeks-less if you want to pay more postage. Never had a breakage or failure to deliver

Which rods are you referring to? Did you mean to attach a picture?

I’ve been thinking of trying the Goofish. I currently have the Grappler Slow J. Looks like a little trout rod. Fishes amazingly well.

So here is the gear I am using from china very light coupled with power pro depth hunter line. This is probably not as good as my shimano stuff and I doubt it will outlast it but the quality is decent and prices are reasonable. Wait times are about 4 to 6 weeks. Never had a breakage or fail to deliver If you cruise thru all the different rods-there are lots really read what you are getting-sometimes the translation is not great-I have never tried to return anything'
rod is https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...0o.store_pc_home.singleImageText_1235510343.0
reel is
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...8!sea!CA!732019755&curPageLogUid=0L75BZZJ4dsp

I like the Shimano Tekota 300HGLC. Beautifull little reel for salmon jigging and has the line counter. I really like the line counter over the coloured depth finder braid. You need to be Einstein to keep track of the depth using the depth line, lol. Once you use the line counter on the reel it's hard to go back.
1685469364325.png
I use it with the Fenwick HMX med/heavy 9' rod.

Last edited:
I like the Shimano Tekota 300HGLC. Beautifull little reel for salmon jigging and has the line counter. I really like the line counter over the coloured depth finder braid. You need to be Einstein to keep track of the depth using the depth line, lol. Once you use the line counter on the reel it's hard to go back.
I use it with the Fenwick HMX med/heavy 9' rod.
i also have depth hunter line and i keep getting confused ! it’s 25 foot increments but within that are these silly little five foot markers which keep throwing me off haha

Lots of times I just drop through the fish then come back up with the slow pitch then drop back through them. Or no slow pitch at all just reel it back up through them. They eat it on the chase as well. I find it’s not worth trying to be exact. They hit on the free spool drop so often I’ll drop through them then rip back up and drop back through them. If you see fish at 70 drop 3 colours or more and then rip back up 2 colours then back down.

Also all my rigged rods start on the same colour. I trim 25’ a year and go from there. I’m on orange for this year. When I see orange again I know I’m at 100’. See orange twice 200’ and so on. Do it for a few days and you memorize the colours. Don’t make it complicated. It’s a great system. I even just tell my kids colours. If I see fish at 125 I tell them 5 colours and they are in em!

Salty is totally correct-you don't need to remember colors at all-If the bait is at 100 to 150 and the bottom is 200 Drop to the bottom-speed jig up 4 colours let fall 2 colours -repeat then go to the bottom and repeat. 9 times out of ten the salmon take on the drop. rockfish seem to hit on the pause and ling on the upward climb. Just my observation-kind of a rule of thumb for me. Once you start noticing this stuff- the jigging becomes easier and you can almost see what is happening. You should also know how far up your lure moves for each turn of the reel-Most of my reels move 4 feet for a turn-so 40 feet is easy. I'm sure other jiggers have good rules of thumb which work. Share if you have some!! Another good one to remember for jig weights-30gms to the oz. Another good one use a gm a foot for the weight of jig required for depth of water.-perhaps a little heavy but a good start

Mike……. great clear and easy to follow advice.
I’m looking at getting back into jigging after many years off!
only negative for me is using level winds, much prefer single action
for fighting a fish. Thanks again for the pics of your new boat, hope to
see it in person if you get a chance to visit this summer. Passed the boat pics along
to my longtime good buddy, very impressive looking boat.
My buddy just joined the forum as Razorpoint and is looking forward to
participating. All the best….

Salty is totally correct-you don't need to remember colors at all-If the bait is at 100 to 150 and the bottom is 200 Drop to the bottom-speed jig up 4 colours let fall 2 colours -repeat then go to the bottom and repeat. 9 times out of ten the salmon take on the drop. rockfish seem to hit on the pause and ling on the upward climb. Just my observation-kind of a rule of thumb for me. Once you start noticing this stuff- the jigging becomes easier and you can almost see what is happening. You should also know how far up your lure moves for each turn of the reel-Most of my reels move 4 feet for a turn-so 40 feet is easy. I'm sure other jiggers have good rules of thumb which work. Share if you have some!! Another good one to remember for jig weights-30gms to the oz. Another good one use a gm a foot for the weight of jig required for depth of water.-perhaps a little heavy but a good start
Mike...what you're saying makes sense but it's easy to lose track of where you are depth wise if one has a senior moment, lol. Most times it doesn't matter as we're fishing relatively shallow water and send the jig to the bottom and back up again.
It depends on the jigging technique's you like to use as to what catches the most fish. I find that I catch a lot on the drop, also a lot on a fast retrieve up from the bottom also stopping at a certain depth and jigging as well as the twitch retrieve. A lot of times it's what you have the most faith in and therefore tend use most. I use the shimano butterfly jigs the most but also use the macdeep a lot as well.
If you ever want to try the Nanoose area let me know and I'd take you out.

Last edited:
Back