High Tech Jigging

Big confidence builder today-got to the fingers north of the green can in CR -3 around 62 and 1 way over 80-3 circuits of my tinny-couple of greyhound runs-beside the boat I tried really hard to see him as 80 but by my gaff he was 90 at least- so no salmon for me-but left feeling pretty good about it and on the way home -just to show there was no hard feelings father Neptune coughed up a 10 pound ling on the hump. Good Day Jigging!!

Absolutely! That reminds me of 2 yrs ago when my son was bored while anchored for Halibut. I gave him a 200gr shimano butterfly jig to play with. With in a minute of hitting bottom he hooks into a 35lb Halibut...
But your kid’s not human. That little dude is a fishing machine!!
#flounderpounder

Big confidence builder today-got to the fingers north of the green can in CR -3 around 62 and 1 way over 80-3 circuits of my tinny-couple of greyhound runs-beside the boat I tried really hard to see him as 80 but by my gaff he was 90 at least- so no salmon for me-but left feeling pretty good about it and on the way home -just to show there was no hard feelings father Neptune coughed up a 10 pound ling on the hump. Good Day Jigging!!
The fights are a blast on the jig. Braid so there's no line stretch to act as a shock absorber. No flasher to add drag when it shakes its head. And if the fish comes at the boat before it's ready, you can't easily gas it up and drag it into submission (if you're fishing alone).

Went round two at the green can this morning-good bait although the tide was really moving it-had a great battle and landed a 78cm 16lb Spring--very busy this morning so it will be a zoo tomorrow-I'll ply my trade elsewhere!! LOL
I seen your rod you are using & I can imagine it's an incredible fight. That rod is as thin as a trout rod (but as strong as a pool que).

I bought that same rod and I am very happy with it.

I seen your rod you are using & I can imagine it's an incredible fight. That rod is as thin as a trout rod (but as strong as a pool que).

I bought that same rod and I am very happy with it.
It is a great rod and pricey but I couldn't get the reel I wanted a torium 14 until next year but I got a chinese knock off thru amazon and it is really a pleasant surprise-but boy is it small!!

What's the biggest jig one would use for salmon I found a 8oz butterfly flat fall and wondering if that'll work for some big salmon running deep?

Depends on current and wind on the day. I've been using the 130 g and 160 g sizes so far, and mostly can manage. Sometimes needs kicker running in reverse and being bumped in and out of gear to keep the line straight down. Also fishing deep will take a longer time to drop and therefore more time for the boat to drift away from the jig - heavier jig required.

If you don't like that 220 g Shimano, I'll take it off your hands!

It is a great rod and pricey but I couldn't get the reel I wanted a torium 14 until next year but I got a chinese knock off thru amazon and it is really a pleasant surprise-but boy is it small!!
Comparable to the Torium 14 would be ABU Garcia Ambassadeur C4 6600. Same line capacity but even lighter at 11 oz vs Torium 15 oz. I have a pair of older Torium 20s and can attest they're strong reels, but the Ambassadeur has a level wind and the thumb bar comes in handy if you decide to do some casting.

Comparable to the Torium 14 would be ABU Garcia Ambassadeur C4 6600. Same line capacity but even lighter at 11 oz vs Torium 15 oz. I have a pair of older Torium 20s and can attest they're strong reels, but the Ambassadeur has a level wind and the thumb bar comes in handy if you decide to do some casting.

I like the larger retrieve rate in the torium 14 hg. At 38" per crank it loads the rod nicley. The Ambassadeur still has 30" which is nice. I was suprised how light it is?

I've been enjoying it a lot. Nestles in my hand nicely. With the light Trevala MH it's a non-fatiguing combo. Although I can see Shimano have modded the Torium to make it fit the hand well too. A lot sleeker than the older Torium 20s I have.

The abu will be lighter but the gears are not as robust and you would not get the drag numbers if you need them if you hook a butt or big ling. I don't like the plastic yoke in the abu's but if you are capable you can change out parts and maintain them. They are not a robust salt water reel but will suffice for light duty.

I like the larger retrieve rate in the torium 14 hg. At 38" per crank it loads the rod nicley. The Ambassadeur still has 30" which is nice. I was suprised how light it is?
I really like the Okuma Coldwater CW-454D with the line counter. It's a compact reel and feels really good. The line counter in awesome for jigging. I find that trying to use the coloured braid depth pro is a waste of time and mental energy. The counter tells you where you are at all times. I bought the reel for my wife and I used my Calcutta 400-B but I found myself wanting to use my wife's setup when she wasn't with me. I have the coloured braid on the Calcutta but I don't like it as I end up losing track of where I am, it ain't easy getting older, lol.

I predominantly use the shimano butterfly jigs 85-100grams depending on the bait size. I like to drop the jig straight down with a jig now and again going down. Once I hit my depth or the bottom I will jig and few times and then reel fast on the way up. I seem to get just as many fish on the retrieve as well as the drop and even the mid jig. If the current/wind is causing the boat to drift a lot I will cast into the drift and fish the same way as I just described. I generally fish structure in 120' or less of water and need to be on the bait. My favourite jig is the 100 gram shimano butterfly jig in the black anchovie colour. Also like the chartreuse and white with the silver back. I had one of the black anchovie jigs that I must have caught over 50 springs on it before I finally lost it. It was pretty beat up but worked well until the end.

30951AD9-0CA9-4A13-9EA2-C985B4585418.jpeg

S
The abu will be lighter but the gears are not as robust and you would not get the drag numbers if you need them if you hook a butt or big ling. I don't like the plastic yoke in the abu's but if you are capable you can change out parts and maintain them. They are not a robust salt water reel but will suffice for light duty.
Fair assessment. Since I'm only able to get to the coast 3-4 times a year it should do me fine.

Oh iv been. heck Sunday morning it was like rain around me because of all the bait, but no bite I must be doing something wrong
personally i dont like fishing in heaps and heaps of bait. too much actual food to compete with. i like suspended bait balls or broken up bait lines.

Best jigging experience I ever had was in front of the pink apartment maybe 12-14 years ago. I was with my uncle's Nat and Franco from "Nats" on Broadway. We had lots of good days jigging back then but this one in particular it was dead flat calm like a lake. We rolled in before the sun had come up but there was light. We were in my shiny new Maxum 1800 bowrider. We could see bubbling where some bait had been pushed to the surface, drop the lines and bang bang bang all three had hits. Managed to net them all and then looked again to find the bubbling. Spotted it again about 100 yards away, drove over it, dropped the lines and same thing. This happened 4 times in a row and all three of us had our limit in less than 15 minutes. It took more time to clean off all the blood. We used the green pearl 2oz zingers exclusively back then and caught mostly coho and pinks. That same year I caught my first spring in the same spot. 17lbs, I'll never forget it.

Last edited:
Back