High Tech Jigging

If you are around CR go to Pacific Playgrounds & they have a tackle store called the "Tackle Shack". They have the biggest selection of shimano butterfly jigs. Tons of choices & variety.
Beat me to it, I bought a lifetime supply there when they had a big sale at the beginning of covid.

For salmon, I prefer the delta half jig in my local area (Nanaimo) which is much cheaper.

I am absolutely blown away with river sportsman. 3 hours and 19 minutes after placing my order I have a tracking number.

Spectacular, they can expect more of my business.

With regard to the buzzbomb and stingzelda type jigs that run the line through, with a hook at the end - they seem to fall pretty flat and create a similar action to the fancy Shimano product.

Any tackle crafters run wire thru the middle of small and med size buzzbombs and Zeldas and have the double hook setup like the Shimano?

And there's the big fat herring "Spinnow" jigs that have that wire running thru the middle - I've found the spinnow also kinda falls flat with similar action to what I see on the videos for the shimano fall flat jigs?

Or am I way off base here?
I’ve had real good luck with those riptide strikers back when I was an ambitious angler , Ha ha

What is a riptide striker? Tried to look them up but could not find anything.
We haven’t sold them to stores for years my dad owned the company. He passed it down to me. He has passed away now. But I still have a ton of inventory left

Attachments

• EEA002F9-D21A-467D-B6C8-C19157A26090.jpeg
    EEA002F9-D21A-467D-B6C8-C19157A26090.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 1FF5292E-7BE2-4F48-AB2F-361A36C91D03.jpeg
    1FF5292E-7BE2-4F48-AB2F-361A36C91D03.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 134
  • B9A6AACE-AE57-4EEE-98EE-8E1C6A40E5E7.jpeg
    B9A6AACE-AE57-4EEE-98EE-8E1C6A40E5E7.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 124
  • B8DBAF2D-01C5-4F3F-AA53-0082000D7E5A.jpeg
    B8DBAF2D-01C5-4F3F-AA53-0082000D7E5A.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 126
  • B73C89FB-C22D-470D-9A7D-56A767F1C884.jpeg
    B73C89FB-C22D-470D-9A7D-56A767F1C884.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 143
My daughter and I gave it a try with all the tips I got from OR-lots of bottom fish and a nice salmon each to the boat and released. Fair amount of bait. I'm sold on jigging --except I donate very expensive jigs!! Oh Well!!! Couple of hundred yards south of the lighthouse in CR-in about 100 to 130--chasing bait.

Reactions: RBL
My daughter and I gave it a try with all the tips I got from OR-lots of bottom fish and a nice salmon each to the boat and released. Fair amount of bait. I'm sold on jigging --except I donate very expensive jigs!! Oh Well!!! Couple of hundred yards south of the lighthouse in CR-in about 100 to 130--chasing bait.
We catch a lot of salmon and bottom fish and do not spend more thane 5to 7$ on a jig. Most of what we use come from HC in Nanaimo in the 10 jigs for 20$ bag. Absolutely no reason to spend big money. Some of our best action is on the flutter jugs that Sur vi vor on this forum makes.

We catch a lot of salmon and bottom fish and do not spend more thane 5to 7$ on a jig. Most of what we use come from HC in Nanaimo in the 10 jigs for 20$ bag. Absolutely no reason to spend big money. Some of our best action is on the flutter jugs that Sur vi vor on this forum makes.
I have tons of jigs but you have to splurge now and then and get a fancy Shimano jig. If you only lose one jig-guess which one it is!!

I remember the riptides. We had a few I believe in the 80s. We didn't buy too many back then as my Dad, and friends of his, made various jigs regularly. Mostly similar to the Point Wilson but they actually experimented with a whole bunch of styles (they were all machinists).
We had so many, but I hardly have any left now, especially not the best ones
IMG_1914.JPG

I remember the riptides. We had a few I believe in the 80s. We didn't buy too many back then as my Dad, and friends of his, made various jigs regularly. Mostly similar to the Point Wilson but they actually experimented with a whole bunch of styles (they were all machinists).
We had so many, but I hardly have any left now, especially not the best ones
View attachment 67392
You guys just ran them bare lead? Or did you ever paint them?

Shine them up and use them, paint various colors, put reflective tape on them. We used them in various forms. I only have these as they were never rigged or used though the eyes seem to have been painted. I think I might have rigged and used these a few years ago just shined up before I realized they were the last ones.
I think they are a mix of lead and something else, maybe babbet.
At the time they worked very well whenever one found feeding fish.

I am looking to get back into jigging for salmon. I plan on fishing jigs in the 4-8 oz range. I have a couple penn carnage 6’6” rods with penn fathom 30’s loaded with braid I use for bottom fish. I think these are just a tad heavy for salmon. I have a 10’6 lamiglass rod with trigger grip that is rated for 1-8oz lures that I think would work decent for salmon. I am looking for suggestions for a good reel to pair with this. I will likely load it up with power pro depth hunter braid or similar line. I have included photos of both rods.

Attachments

• FC6B8CA8-FED1-4491-93E7-A593AA830AB9.jpeg
    FC6B8CA8-FED1-4491-93E7-A593AA830AB9.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 35
  • A64748F5-813C-4374-998F-E5E3D37A0E06.jpeg
    A64748F5-813C-4374-998F-E5E3D37A0E06.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I am looking to get back into jigging for salmon. I plan on fishing jigs in the 4-8 oz range. I have a couple penn carnage 6’6” rods with penn fathom 30’s loaded with braid I use for bottom fish. I think these are just a tad heavy for salmon. I have a 10’6 lamiglass rod with trigger grip that is rated for 1-8oz lures that I think would work decent for salmon. I am looking for suggestions for a good reel to pair with this. I will likely load it up with power pro depth hunter braid or similar line. I have included photos of both rods.
I love my Garcia 7000 picks up line fast.

Key features for reels for jigging are drag release and fast retrieve rate. This leads most people toward conventional overhead reels, typically level wind types. A large arbor knuckle buster with a drag release feature should work also; for example the Islander MR2LA. Retrieve rates vary according to how much line you have out, but use of braided main line with appropriate backing to keep the line out near the spool perimeter will maximize retrieve rate. Large capacity fast retrieve spinning reels work fine as well, same factors apply.

Whether they strike gear trolled from downrigger or a jig, most salmon hooked down deep are going to come rocketing to the surface, so the primary need to is to keep tension on the hook, regardless of what gear you used. The deeper you drop, the more critical this becomes.

Back