High speed near miss at the head

23Hourston

Almost run into by a guy running at high speed in the fog today at the head (sooke)
He had the bow up. Hit the hand held air horn just in time missed me by 25 feet. He had a radar but must not have been using it as there was 20 boat all around me.
Guy in blue hulled podded 23 hourston with yamm
No fish is worth it buddy. For F sakes SLOW DOWN!!

Guys don't get it...Probably did have radar on.. I saw a few idiots come into trap full speed and no radar... it wasn't the day to f around could barely see bow of boat coming back in....

FYI There will always be tons of boats fishing just in and out of the fog line. It's a givin
He came the closest to ramming me. But there was others too.
Not worth it

I had my radar on and was coming out really slow from harbour I was hugging the right side heading out watched on Radar guy WAY right to me looked like he was heading into the harbour house so I stopped only to see him come out of fog RIGHT in front of me now heading south with his head stuck down looking at his lap while driving guy beside him was "looking" for boats i guess ...

here's a thought why not guy steering the boat STEER it while you have a guy on the handheld navigate.....

GO wide at the points and then cut into where your fishing you can also do that when there is NO FOG I dont understand the need to RUN thru all the boats you can go around ill give you the extra 20 bucks for your gas not to wake ALL of us that are fishing in close to shore......

I'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents at the entrance to Sooke basin the way some guys come flying around the end of the spit.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents at the entrance to Sooke basin the way some guys come flying around the end of the spit.
Have to agree Eroyd. That is why I bought my radar, I was coming out of the harbour entrance one morning in pea soup fog and some A-hole was coming in at mach 10 and almost T-bone me at the point. If that wasn't bad enough the guy I had with me looking out for other boats was almost thrown out of the boat from the wake. This was the last thing someone would be looking for first thing in the morning, is someone coming in to the harbour. Some people just don't get it.

This is probably a got thread for me to explain to many on here who see me run right tight to the beach..(.mostly at the end of the day going home)...along Gordon's Beach and east past Otter Point. Why do I do it? I've found that when I travel offshore away from the beach my customers are just sitting there waiting for us to get home. When I run very close to the beach they all become interested in the cabins/homes and people walking the beach. They perk up and are interested in the sights....they are visitors and even just seeing all the logs and drift on the beach is interesting to them. I started doing this when I noticed that many of the Cabo/Mexico operators do the same thing when they come in from fishing on the Pacific side beaches where we were staying. It adds to the trip and the experience for them.

This is probably a got thread for me to explain to many on here who see me run right tight to the beach..(.mostly at the end of the day going home)...along Gordon's Beach and east past Otter Point. Why do I do it? I've found that when I travel offshore away from the beach my customers are just sitting there waiting for us to get home. When I run very close to the beach they all become interested in the cabins/homes and people walking the beach. They perk up and are interested in the sights....they are visitors and even just seeing all the logs and drift on the beach is interesting to them. I started doing this when I noticed that many of the Cabo/Mexico operators do the same thing when they come in from fishing on the Pacific side beaches where we were staying. It adds to the trip and the experience for them.

You also do it in the fog and rarely slow down. It really sucks for a lot of us when you barrel buy close to the point through everyone. I am not singling you out as only one. There are a lot of smaller boats fishing these points sometimes very close in. I see you in morning and coming back. Yah that is great for your clients but sucks for a lot of us. You do what you want but dont expect same treatment back from us. I am sure you would get pissed with me or anyone else running close to you full speed at one of your spots. I think its dangerous myself go outside of the fleet, and tell guests to bring binoculars:p

Made me think of a few years ago when on anchor in the fog on a JDF bank. A very well known local guide boat ran over our buoy to bow line at great speed. No more than mere feet from our bow. Caused us to say a few loud words. Lots of unsafe practices, I am amazed there are no more "bumps" in the fog reported.

HM

Jerrod the only guys that annoy me are the guys in the big 30-40 foot aluminum commercial boats that go by at speed and throw a 3 -4 foot wake that chases me inside the cabin so I don't get wet and make the coffee cups tip over. The boats like ours don't bother me. There were 2 days last week where on one day a guy was off t he 3rd rock in a kayak and the next day the same place a guy was on a board fishing. I came off step before I got to them and idled past them before going back up on step. I'm also only in 15-20 feet of water well inside the closest boats.
When I go by the point on the way to Sheringham in the morning there is almost always an ebb tide running and I tuck in close to shore once past the bluffs to get out of the larger and close together waves that make the ride up west sh!tty. Especially if there is a southwest wind blowing. Once you get to Otter you hit that patch of big water again as the ebb flows over the reef. The ebb runs father out and sweeps back towards Muir and the waves are often white capping...so I pick the route with the least amount of boats on the inside of the ebb and stay in the smooth water of the back eddy. And hey me running up to the light most mornings means I'm leaving the fish at Otter there for you and the rest of the crowd. ;)

Here's a regulation from Transport Canada that it appears few people follow or know about.

When boating in the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia, please observe the unposted speed limit of 10km/h (6 mph) within 30 meters (100 ft) from shore. This limit applies on all waters within these provinces except where other limits are posted. These provisions do not apply in rivers less than 100 meters (300 ft) in width, canals and buoyed channels nor in the case of waterskiing, where the tow boat launches and drops off skiers by heading directly away from or into the shore.

Whats the big deal go on the outside I personally do as well then cut in leave Alone the guys fishing, there was a huge debate about this a few years back and it really annoyed alot as you know so why continue to do it trust me it bugs ALOT of people. especially with the amount of people in very small boats and the kayakers

what if someone is coming EAST dong the same thing and you meet at the corner both doing 30 kts as it is a blind corner and a whole pile of boats are fishing doing an evasive maneuver on both boats especially if you both turn the wrong way last thing id want to witness.

some people i guess dont mind the wake. but people need to wake up and think of others that are out there as well.... not themselves.....its a big ocean out there just go around everyone.....and stay clear....its all about being safe. And to make it clear Alot of fisherman do it just not certain individuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerrod the only guys that annoy me are the guys in the big 30-40 foot aluminum commercial boats that go by at speed and throw a 3 -4 foot wake that chases me inside the cabin so I don't get wet and make the coffee cups tip over. The boats like ours don't bother me. There were 2 days last week where on one day a guy was off t he 3rd rock in a kayak and the next day the same place a guy was on a board fishing. I came off step before I got to them and idled past them before going back up on step. I'm also only in 15-20 feet of water well inside the closest boats.
When I go by the point on the way to Sheringham in the morning there is almost always an ebb tide running and I tuck in close to shore once past the bluffs to get out of the larger and close together waves that make the ride up west sh!tty. Especially if there is a southwest wind blowing. Once you get to Otter you hit that patch of big water again as the ebb flows over the reef. The ebb runs father out and sweeps back towards Muir and the waves are often white capping...so I pick the route with the least amount of boats on the inside of the ebb and stay in the smooth water of the back eddy. And hey me running up to the light most mornings means I'm leaving the fish at Otter there for you and the rest of the crowd. ;)

I am just being honest instead of saying it behind your back. Same as the cutting off on tac we talked about it. I let you know right away didn't like it directly since we know each other. I am just saying that lots of guys don't like you getting in close at high speed when they are fishing. Even if you perceive it's right some people get really annoyed with it. Just take it as on an open criticism. Sometimes I may be close on there and I have kids aboard, so when you fly by huge butt wake comes by. You maybe don't realize it. If your going to do it can you at least step down, and take a few more minutes to get to your spot. It shouldn't matter if it is kayak or boat. That's all we are saying. This was a thread on fog and same applies. I am just trying to do you a favor by letting you know what others feel as well. Two examples of guys that fish very tight to shore are roy and Jay j boat..I see those guys very close to shore most of time,and I am sure they don't appreciate it either. Like I said your not the only one. But a lot of time you have boats following you out, and they just copy what you are doing. Just sucks for rest of us sometimes.

He may consider himself a Pro fisher ........ But judging by his responses he sure isn't a pro boater how inconsiderate and completely unsafe, just a matter of time till some one gets hurt bad

He may consider himself a Pro fisher ........ But judging by his responses he sure isn't a pro boater how inconsiderate and completely unsafe, just a matter of time till some one gets hurt bad

I think shooting barbed remarks at Profisher are misplaced!!
Suck it up you guys

I have kept my boat by Rollie the last couple years and know him through dock bs etc. He does travel inside at otter, is this a bad thing? Personally I really haven't seen a problem with it. My boat is big enough to not get rocked too bad by a similar sized boat. The commies rocking me out are another story. Rollie contributes a huge amount to our local fishery. I'm not blowing him so save the comments but facts are he does ALOT for sooke fisher-people, buy a ticket in the jdf derby and watch how much these guys do. Rollie holds his line tacking muir but not wrongly so. Just follow him and you will hook up. It's a big ocean folks.

You guys want a really annoying experience? Come on over to Victoria waterfront area. BIG high speed Whale watch boats blasting by 40' away, Yankee yachts showing class by swinging in to see if we really roll hard in the wake. Oh ya, I forgot the Pilot Boat! Sunday on the OB flats two 50'-60'Yankee boats came through at 20 knots only to swing back out to get around Discovery. I would gladly take a 22' Seasport travelling at speed over the crap we deal with all day long . I'm thinking you guys don't know how good you got it out there in Sooke.

I stand by comments. I put as much effort in time to help sooke people keep fishing, and contribute a lot..I don't like that mentioned I think its rude frankly. I am entitled to an opinion.

It never ceases to amaze me the ignorance of some boaters on the west coast. Certainly not all boaters but a good number of them. I find most boaters on fresh water much more curtious to each other when fishing. Very rarely will you be buzzed so close on any of our local lakes. I guess it's just the fact in a lot of cases it's already rough out on the chuck and people think it's ok to make it even rougher I don't know but I do see a lot of ignorance out there. I feel sorry for the people in small boats or the kayakers out there,, no one seems to care. I have to correct myself quite often as I start to get the attitude that no one cares about me why should I care and I have ran through the boats a time or two but it just bothers me and I just don't do it very often. As for the tacks.. I was always under the impression that starboard rod to shore has the right of way and this is how I play it as best I can. I had the chance to share a couple mornings with some boats at the light that knew how to run a tack and it was very pleasant. Then there were the weekends when the yahoos were out in full force,, those are the mornings I take off on longer tacks away from the clutter and enjoy my day. I try my best to acomadate most of the guides as they are working and have to make a living but at the same time they better show some consideration to me or I play an even game. The worst for me is the guys that won't give any room when a fish is on,, this upsets me to no end. This is pure ignorance at its best and I show very little patience with these people. It's one of the biggest reasons I will stay out of the crowd,, it's just not worth it to me. To get all upset and have my day ruined I would rather not catch a fish as to go through it. I just move on and pull fish out from the fringe areas and enjoy my day.

My boy nick named a few boats **** Flies lol,, cause no sooner someone would catch a fish the **** flies were on the spot like well,, flies to **** lol.. You would think that that 50 yard run was the only spot in the ocean that had fish.

If I lived out there I wouldn't even bother fishing the weekends it's just not worth it,, way to much going on. I rarely fish around home on weekends either,, just can't handle the BS at the launches. I stay home and do yard work on weekends and go out during the week. ( I do shift work so many days on so many off usually 21 days on 10 off) so it acomadates me well.

Back