herring

Yeah, 20 bucks for 100+ good size herring. 10 years ago I could jig 100 in a few hours. Not anymore.

I know there is a "commercial" opening that is regulated but when the herring come in late Feb and early March are there sport regulations?

Good point Lorne... Many of times I took guests out that thought my bait was just an appetizer. Why is that? Cause guides gifting it in other ways...We need to put a stop to this... :)

Between guides gifting herring, and the Absolute beating on the Quillback us ECVI guys do, we are doomed.

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww Quill Back maybe the population boom out there is because they are a prodominent catch and release sports fish. We released 6 on Saturday. And I can't believe Guides gifting Herring is a Issue?? Show me the proof. Maybe there's less Herring because of the Quill Back Population Explosion. GLG any ideas??

Nice one Lorne and FA...you've hooked two already...reel em in! :D

Aww Quill Back maybe the population boom out there is because they are a prodominent catch and release sports fish. We released 6 on Saturday. And I can't believe Guides gifting Herring is a Issue?? Show me the proof. Maybe there's less Herring because of the Quill Back Population Explosion. GLG any ideas??

I havent been out this winter yet, but i know trolling quill back is hot up near the mouth of the big Q during the winter months. Purple haze hootice stuffed with 3.5 50/50 chrome coyote.

Defintely one of the most under appreacited C and R fisheries on this side of the island.
Lorne

off season is fun :) lol

Lorne we got them off the Little Q using the Blue Meanie stuffed with a Herring. It was a beautiful day Saturday Bait jumping all around us. It wasn't our resident Herring though they were all sold at the Fundraiser. I think it was Piltridge that have migrated to this side to feed on Quill Back fry. Man we need to have a fundraiser soon,sell Quill Back to the support Girl Guides.

How about we sell Dog Fish and P-Cod to support local guides that do not gift Herring/Quilback/Halibut/Salmon.... :)

Guess we won't need to do that sale any time soon.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back