Help...What Fish Did I Catch...

Looks like a cutthroat to me. Spotting is a little faint but the head looks right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to say a Bull Trout,but the meat looks too red in the picture.I'll have to agree with a Cutthroat.

Often see folks make guesses of char species, like bull trout, for trout species like this cutty. Easiest way to remember is that "true" trout and salmon - genus Oncorhyncus (rainbows, cuttys, pacific salmon) and Salmo (brown trout, Atlantic salmon), have dark spots on a light background while char species, genus Salvelinus (bull trout, dollies, brook trout, lakers and arctic char) have light spots on a dark background. Remembering that, makes it easy to quickly determine if you have a fish from the trout/salmon group or a char species.

Ukee

One very unhealthy looking cutty. Not that I personally disagree with utilizing accidentally, fatally fouled fish, but one might want to consider what they post.

Looks to me like it just sat in the cooler for awhile before he got it home........hence the paler areas on the skin...

roger that Ukee. That's the main determining factor I used to identify it as a cuttie. Other than that, it does look similar to a bull trout. strange looking fish

also the elongated mouth that extends well past the eye is another great characteristic of the cutthroat trout. I have seen a couple posts in the last week regarding unknown kept species and remember "if you don't know let it go". Goes for both fresh and saltwater.

so why delete the picture tinboat ? Why not help others with the I D ?

Back