1977 Hourston 18.2

Yeah this is why I might have to consider cutting out the well, or I just have to find half a dozen guys to help lift that top off. Thinking about a 17 foot fiberglass canoe that I once owned, that thing weighed almost 90 pounds, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the top weighs 300-400.

The hardtop sounds easier to deal with.

Got the hardtop off. I can’t figure out how to remove the windows from the frame so I can separate off the actual blue top piece.

The little plastic rail comes off at the front and back but the top and bottom window rail pieces are held in by the actual windows. I’m lost. Anyone done this before?

Attachments

• IMG_2161.jpeg
    IMG_2161.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2157.jpeg
    IMG_2157.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2156.jpeg
    IMG_2156.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2154.jpeg
    IMG_2154.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2153.jpeg
    IMG_2153.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 41
Yes, I peeked under the rail and saw the screws. I’m trying to figure out how to remove the windows, so I can remove the rails, to get to those screws.

Should be able to slide the windows and remove screws. I think I drilled mine out as they were so old Ended up damaging the felt window liner

Got the hardtop off. I can’t figure out how to remove the windows from the frame so I can separate off the actual blue top piece.

The little plastic rail comes off at the front and back but the top and bottom window rail pieces are held in by the actual windows. I’m lost. Anyone done this before

The little plastic rail comes off at the front and back but the top and bottom window rail pieces are held in by the actual windows. I’m lost. Anyone done this before?
I have a post called “Hourston pain in the glass” that has glass disassembly. Be very very careful not to bust the plastic.
There are things like plastic packing tubes in the lower section of the felt lined tracks you need to get out first. The glass should drop down enough after that to carefully tip it out. If not you might have to cut a 2x4 the right length the put pressure on the inner edges of the frame to create enough of a gap to pop them out. This is specifically for the sides. I never took my front windows apart I just resealed them.
Hope this helps

That’s also the easiest way in my opinion to take the glass off is with the hardtop.
It’s such a dangerous floppy mess to pull the windshield off without it.

Back