Help for an Aussie!!

Callumkscott

Hi guys I'm Callum, currently on holiday in Sidney on Vancouver island, and I'm a dead keen fisher.

I'm staying with the girlfriends family on the water looking across to James island, Today I took out a kayak and a rod with a buzz bomb on it and caught a few sole, but nothin else.

Would someone be able to tell me the best rigs to use around here. I'm just so keen to catch anything that swims and fights.

Tomorrow I have a little rib with a 9.9hp on it and I'm so keen to try an catch something but o havng a clue wether to try and troll a lure, troll an anchovies, bouncy a buzz bomb or what....

ANY INFO would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys. Callum

I don't know that area at all but I would try trolling. Find a tackle shop in Sydney and ask where to troll.
Good luck.

Many years ago (and I'm not sure if this is still valid) I used to take my 12 foot boat over to Sidney Spit. I'd jig for salmon with buzz bombs and other jig lures. (Pirkens, stingsilda.)
I did pretty well too for teen sized Springs, but again, this was a lot of years ago.

I'd drop the jig to the bottom, reel it up a couple turns and jig away.

Might be worth a go.

Hopefully somebody with some recent experience chimes in for you.

Callum

Welcome to Vancouver Island.

If your RIB has a rod holder, you might want to buy a "Deep Six", a flasher and hootchie setup. The deep six is a planer device that will pull you flasher and hootchie rig down to about 30 feet at best when trolling. Put the rod in the holder and troll away. The deep six is rigged so when a fish takes your lure, it trips the deep six and makes it easier to retrieve. The setup might cost you around $30. Any local fishing store can provide these things.

Now if you happen to wander up to the Comox Valley this weekend, I would gladly take you out in my area to try your luck.

Don

Callum,
Head up to the Home Hardware on Beacon across from Save On Foods. Ask to speak to the owner about fishing - he is keen and very knowledgeable on tackle, locations and fishing times. I don't know his name, but he helped me out as I started fishing 2 yrs ago. Good luck.

Callum,
You are in the perfect spot to kayak fish. The area on the west side of James is good holding area for springs. If tide is going out, I would start at the Sidney end of James island around the pilings and drift south about 1/8 mile off beach toward the south end. Incoming tide I would start at spit then move over toward the island and drift toward the pilings. It's also an easy paddle over to east side and work the Powdet Wharf area. Jiggers do well in both spots. The guy at home hardware is your go to guy for jig lures. Good luck and Keep us posted!!

Hi guys, well today I went out and had another fish. Just bouncing the buzz bombs and jigging them off the bottom.

I started in the channel between where the sand spit comes out from the Indian reserve and James island, I managed a dog fish pretty early on and some sort of rock fish. I then moved out about further down the channel heading away from Sidney with no luck,

On my way back in after a few hours of continuous jigging I met a couple of great old fellas and had a talk with them.
There seemed to be plenty of bait on their sounder but no fish sadly.
So I came back in, happy with the crabs they donated to me, what a king lot you guys are!!!
I'm heading up to port hardy in the morning to go fishing with the mrs cousin so I'll let you all know how I go. Pretty safe to say il be back to harass the Salmon in the near future,
If anyone is in Queensland near Brisbane I'd be happy to help you all out and perhaps line up a trip out in my boat.

Thinking of heading out again this afternoon perhaps towards the Sidney end of james island as "Barrie" suggested!!
Thanks

Thanks guys

Callum,
That's a great area you live in. My funniest memory there was getting stuck in the Round about at the Airport, must have done 10 Laps before we got out! Your car steering wheel is on the wrong so everytime I wanted to Use the turn signals I would turn on windshield wipers. My son went to Bond university in Robina, and we had many a good time on the Gold Coast. I had booked an 8 hour charter while I was there but it blew so hard we couldn't get out. Enjoy your visit here

Callum,
That's a great area you live in. My funniest memory there was getting stuck in the Round about at the Airport, must have done 10 Laps before we got out! Your car steering wheel is on the wrong so everytime I wanted to Use the turn signals I would turn on windshield wipers. My son went to Bond university in Robina, and we had many a good time on the Gold Coast. I had booked an 8 hour charter while I was there but it blew so hard we couldn't get out. Enjoy your visit here
hmm...roundabouts and airports in Aussie...yeah, had same issue coming out of the Perth airport - I was so damn confused and yep, remember turning on windshield wipers alot! lol Callum, good luck in Hardy - now THAT is a place to find fish - actually head up there this summer for first time ever, but have fished lots around malcolm island and love it up there. You'll be hooked!

Jigs can be quite productive for salmon but you really have to get physical working them. Pull them up on the upswing hard and fast. then let them drop on a slack line. the quicker and faster you can get that jig to come up the better luck you will have. they have to be moving constantly.... you can't over-jig a jig too quickly. the quicker and faster you move it, the better.

Sweet! Looks like you've gotten it figured out!

Nice slabs there Callum.Well done sir!Congrats to you and hope you continue to enjoy your stay on our beautiful island.

Sorry guys, I should explain, my partners uncle and family live on the island, so I had arranged a trip up to port hardy as I mentioned,
So I managed to jump n board with my partners cousin who has fished out of port hardy for 30 years. Needless to say he knew his game!!!
I got busted off on 40lb test like it was cotton!!!

Still an awesome day with awesome scenery and an amazing country. God you guys are lucky

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, I should explain, my partners uncle and family live on the island, so I had Arranged a trip up to port hardy as I mentioned,
So I managed to jump n board with my partners cousin who has fished out of port hardy for 30 years. Needless to say he knew his game!!!
I got busted off on 40lb test like it was cotton!!!

Still an awesome day with awesome scenery and an amazing country. God you guys are lucky

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome fish Callumkscott. Great to see that you got into some nice ones. How long are you staying around. Are you going to get out again before you head home.

Im back in Sidney area again on Sunday and would love to get out? If anyone wants company and someone to share fuel id be very appreciated !!!!!

Back