HELP!! (Before I do Something Stupid)

Drewski Canuck

Been looking at a Duckworth Navigator Sport 20 ' It is not podded, and has a high splashwell. I do not want a pod. It can be built as a 25 inch transom, meaning XL shaft. Planning on the new Merc 150 4 stroke. Went to the dealer today and saw that while it is a 14 degree deadrise in the stern, it is "CUT OFF" at the back in something called a "DELTA HULL". Kingfisher does this as well but this is common on JET BOATS, not something with 435 pds on the transom, plus a 90 pound kicker.

I think I need all the displacement I can get to keep the stern high in following seas. I know that it is is only about 10 inches wides by 6 inches deep that has been flatened out, but I THINK all the deadrise you can get is a good idea when you are facing this amount of transom weight, BEFORE 2 fat guys start bringing in the downriggers, or trying to net a fish, etc.

Alternatives, Alumaweld Intruder, Hewescraft Pro V 200. Apparently Weldcraft and Duckworth are built by the same factory, but the Weldcraft did not do a "Delta Hull", and maintained the angle right down to the center of the hull.

All the same, the Duckworth is the first hull with factory annodes, and alot of other good features.

SOOO, weigh in. (I'm talking about the transom weight, and not how much your two fat guys in the back of the boat sink the splashwell).

Drewski

What are your reasons for not wanting a pod?

Pod will extend the hull another 2 + feet. Garage is not deep enough even with a swing away hitch. Boat will be multi use, and some tubing / skiing will be done with it. The straight stern is hard to get in and out of. I am also concerned standing on the pod if I have to get at the motor. I am more comfortable inside the boat leaning over, than outside the boat standing at sea level on a platform. My solution was to go with a 25 inch transom with a splash well and 1/4 swim grid with ladder.

Even with a pod, it looks like trim tabs are a good idea, and the floatation from the pod is minor to deal with the other issues.

Of your reasons for not going to a pod the garage fit is the only one I can't argue against. As for the rest, getting in and out over the stern on a pod can be easier than a well boat if the pod incorporates a swim platform in the design. All podded boats give you about 2 extra feet of usable deck space without the well so a 20 foot boat will have the interior room of a normal 22 footer. Boats with pods are much quieter because the engine is behind the transom which bounces much of the noise away from the forward part of the boat. I've owned both types and will never own a well boat again.

When you've have a couple break over the stern of a non-poded boat in a trailing sea off the West Coast you very quickly see the benefits of a pod vesus a open transom. No fumes, low sound, increased floor space and much safer. Its a quantum leap in hull design in my view and I encourage anyone who fishes in the chuck to seriously consider them as an option.

I am hoping that going to a 25 " transom with a high splash well will give me enough security from following seas, while not eating up too much interior space. Now back to the question, by flattening out the keel at the stern, am I losing too much displacement for the anticipated load that will sit back there? That is what is scaring me, and may justify a Pod as the chamber will give at least 100 pounds of buoyancy. However, if I don't have to go that route, I would rather shorten it up so I can store indoors.

Not overly familiar with the hull you're contemplating. Could additional floatation be added below deck?

Floatation is not the problem, its discplacement. The hull is 2 " at the bottom, so plenty wide, with reverse chines. Problem is, weight is weight. Going 2 stroke does not shave off alot comparing 2 stroke 6 cylinder 150s to the new Merc 150 4 stroke. Problem is, its not 8 feet wide and its going to push down hard. That is why the deeper the transom the better, for more displacement. An 18 degree will give even more discplacement compared to the 14 degree on the Duckworth. All the same, its a pretty ice hull.

I have a 22' Weldcraft Maverick which is built in the same factory as the Duckworth but, as you say without the delta hull. The boat has a pod that is essentially a hull extension. I too was struggling with fitting it it the shop, paticularly since I did not want to do a swing away tongue on such a heavy boat (loaded weight). In the end I did the only reasonable thing and "pushed out" the back of the shop to accomodate the longer boat. In short, don't compromise on the boat that you want . . . make the shop/garage compromise!

I have always made compromised when it comes to boats there is know perfect. I have had 7 boats in the last 5 years and I'm going to get another on Saturday. I have had both notch transom and extended transom and the ET is the best choice there are a few thing the notch transom does better but for me the ET is way better,

Do a little research on hull design. You will be surprised at the buoyancy difference between a deep vee hull and a lesser degree hull. Dory's and skiffs are notorious for the load carrying capacity. Volume is not the only factor.

My vessel is a similar set up to what you are looking at. I am about 16 degrees I think with a delta planing pad incorporated into the hull. I have zero complaints about the ride and I have zero complaints about my fuel bill.

misc272_zps0dc9451b.jpg

This is a photo that a received from the original owner when she was being built in Ed's shop. Ed is a smart guy. He knows his hull designs. This is not a river boat and was never designed to be one.

I do have air ride seats in the front and they help a lot with the ride. My boat has a small pod that is only there to support the main engine.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Dory are a very good hull design safe, good on fuel and can care massive weight. There are times when the dory will slow you down in chop but really most of us are out there to take it easy and catch a fish we seem to always been in a hurry. I love Cdory have not got one but there cool northwestern boats are a new company that builds aluminum dorys very cool too!!

Put a doggie door in the door of your garage for the tongue to stick out of. Oh, and put a good lock on tongue of the trailer.
IMG00049-20120423-1556trailerhitch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be even funnier with a wild animals head draped over the tongue to make it look like something is trying to escape. lol

Of all things, I found a Hewescraft Pro V 200 (20 foot) with the regular transom and a swing up Splash guard to close the splash well. It is a 14 degree transom and is .190 on the bottom. It has a Merc 4 stroke 150 (455 pds), and given the size of this motor, a delta planning pad does not seem like such a great idea, following seas or not.

Price is a little high ($37,800.00), but we have not started negotiating yet. It does have the awning frame and drop down curtains, on a 4 K tandem galvanized trailer, and from all that I hear about Hewescraft, they seem to be a pretty well built boat.

I am sure that if you have a pod and a high transom, it does not matter about the delta pad, and it probably would plane very well. Most of the time, we are fighting swells, and can't get onto plane off of Burdwood cove, or Escalante. Depth is king when breaching swells.

Drewski

I had a Hewescraft before and liked it. Well build not fancy, the company is great to deal with any parts you can by direct from the factory and there at a great price. I would buy another one forsure,

Back