help a visiting angler

S

stuartlang

my friend and i would like to book a trip to somewhere like "rivers inlet" to experience the salmon fishing there. we are from scotland and quite experienced with our atlantic salmon(trolling and flyfishing). we have both in the past fished in the vancouver area and campbell river.

what i would like to ask is ,

as this is a trip of a lifetime for us, is rivers inlet the best place to consider and when is the best time of year to go?

our trip must tick the following boxes: good lodge, big salmon, beutiful scenery and memories that will last a life time.

we would welcome any ideas from you guys in bc.

thanks

stuart lang

well if its a trip of a lifetime why don't head to the queen charlotte islands. I haven't heard a lot of good things from river's inlet the last few years, big fish but not many.

Stu,
Depends when you want to go (what you travel timing is)... if you are coming late june/July then I would stick further up the coast near the Queen Charlotte Islands (Langara) - the lodges here tend to be a little pricier, but are in a great area. (Lodges for consideration: West Coast Fishing Club, Langara Fishing Adventures)

If you are coming late July to end of August then either Rivers Inlet or the Hakai Pass on the Central Coast are great areas (Lodges for Consideration: Ole's Hakai pass, Salmon King Lodge)

All these lodges have website to provide info and scenery. Both the Langara Location and Rivers Inlet produce big fish depending on when you go. I have yet to see anyone go on a trip to these type of lodges and end up dissatisfied, and I go annually with different groups. My personal preference is Hakai Pass (primarily because of price with still great fishing). Keep in mind that it often takes a year's lead time to get a decent slot time no matter where you go, and if you are trying for this summer then you'd better get on it as there may not be much left. (I think Joe's Salmon Lodge in the Hakai Pass still has some late July slots, but not much else... most of Rivers Inlet and Ole's will be sold out by now... but you never know when the waiting list can come through for you.)

Hope my $0.02 helps.
Cheers,
SA

Stuart.........welcome to the forum. (it looks like 3 of us posted at the same time or while others were typing replies [:I])

There are going to be two areas that will likely be recommended if you are wanting to head NORTH of Vancouver Island and they will likely be the Rivers Inlet/Central Coast area or the Queen Charlotte Islands.

A few questions for you those who may help you out (I am in the midst of planning a similar trip this summer).

When you say "big salmon"....how big are you looking for? Are you looking for higher numbers of salmon or looking for the big 50+ pounders?

There are a lot of advantages to both places and one of the key's to a great trip is going to be the "good lodge" with good guides, comfortable amenities, good gear, GOOD FOOD, good boats etc etc.

I am sure there will be some great info posted up for you and I will try and find a couple of other threads from other BC fishing forums where the same question has been asked. You can never have too much information.

I was up in Rivers Inlet in early June about 5 or 6 years ago with Oak Bay Marine Group. Scenery was incredible, food was delicious and the lodge was very nice. However, only a few boats caught big springs.....but that's fishing for you. I heard August was the best time to go.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mongoose

langara island, queen charlotte's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ever been there mongoose ?

OF COURSE HE HASNT

The Outside-or West Coast of the Island/WCVI-is your best bet all kinds of experienced charter operators targeting passing stocks of all kinds also some decent bottom fishing opportunities.

Second is the Queen Charlotte Islands, if you have the money and don't mind going a very long way for possibly very little as last year was quite poor in terms of Chinook numbers up there.

Forget Rivers Inlet, abysmal returns last year and this year is bound to be more of same.[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by wolf

quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose

langara island, queen charlotte's

ever been there mongoose ?

OF COURSE HE HASNT

I'll vouch for Langara Island at that time of year. Guided there for many seasons, and with experience having worked elsewhere on the coast for extended periods, and the consensus is among all guides that have worked up there is that if Langara is "on", you positively, absolutely, will have a very hard time to find anywhere else on the coast that will keep pace with the size and numbers---and guides outfish unguided guests up there by a large ratio.

The consistency of the spring fishing and length of the bite when it's on is something that can only be related unless you've experienced it yourself.

Of course, I'm speaking of Springs only. When it comes to the other species of salmon---all you can handle if you so choose.

However, there are specific trips and dates I would recommend.

2002, 2003, 2004 were spectacular years and there were many crazy evenings on those seasons where 40 Tyees hit the dock of just one lodge in an evening of fishing--and untold numbers were released and if you didn't have a 40 plus---you were "par for the course". If that's what made it to the dock, then imagine what was released!!!!!

If you're a meat hunter, bottom fish are there too, and if you really want a barn door Halibut(150 plus), with some persistence, a seasoned guide should be able to find you one.

The one problem with Langara Island lodges however is the price. BIG $$$$$$-- very expensive---and a guide is well worth the investment.

As for other lodges on the coast, there are few other lodges you will find where any respected outdoors writer or person in the industry who has experienced Langara who will dare compare the numbers and consistency of Langara fishing---you're literally catching and releasing all day long where as in other coastal locations it's "bite is on" and you better be in the right spot---or "high tailing" it to the next spot the fish touch.

However there are more than just a few places on the coast that can offer you savings on the experience--and you can basically experience great fishing at just a fraction of the cost for 2 people for 4 days of guided fishing.

Fish 2 people for $6000 for 4 days ($1000/day for the boat) without all the "pampering and first class things" with some creativity for food and lodging etc etc.. and take home plenty of fish for each if you fish hard and you have a guide that worked his butt off...but you probably won't be catching and releasing all day long, and you really better hope you time your trip correctly cuz the weather could be a real let down.

The thing about Langara is that you're paying for a fully inclusive experience----first class meals with wine, fly in- fly out-, ultra remote location, awesome resort lodges, etc etc etc.

Usually though there's plenty of calm water to fish around Langara no matter what direction the wind is coming from---and there are many trips where the water is as flat as a lake----good luck with that on an open facing location elsewhere on the coast.

Just my .02...

Where you do decide to fish Stuart---fish within your budget---research your locations well, and you should be very pleased with your choice. However, if you spend big $$$ and don't know how to appreciate the very best and you're feeling uneasy about dropping the $$$, you probably won't enjoy your trip as much as you otherwise would and should.

Tight lines and Happy Fishing on whatever you choose.

"Forget Rivers Inlet, abysmal returns last year and this year is bound to be more of same."

Yikes Dog... hope you are wrong on this one, as I am gonna be in the Hakai at the end of July. Not sure how the overall was last year but we had a group of 18 at the Hakai Aug 2-5 last year and there were 10 in the 40s, 6 in the 50's and 2 in the 60's... that's the best I have seen on a single trip. They has to get an extra Beaver in to take the weight of all the catch. If that is a bad return, sign me up for that again! Perhaps it was a fluke, but then again - that's fishing! I've been to the Pass the last three years, and it's been very good to me and my group each time. Bamfield was a lot slower at in the third week of August in comparison. Will have to give it a second chance this year!

Rivers Inlet is good the first couple of weeks of August-if the timing run is right. This is a place you really want to know how to rig herring. A few years ago I was in Hakai PAss and a bunch of boats came up there to Joe's Salmon Lodge. The run had not shown up yet so, they fished there instead.

I haven't personally fished Rivers Inlet and will wait for quite a few years to do it. I want to keep catching bigger fish before I go there. Once I get a really big fish it will be tough to top.

Fished Rivers Inlet at the beginning of September last year and it was slow. Staff comments were that it hadn't been a good year. Fished Kano Inlet in the Charlotees a few years back and the fishing was great. Helicopter ride in and out wasn't too shabby either.

$$$ but if it's once in a lifetime, what the heck. :D

Backatit - point well taken[:I] but it is kinda hard to argue that a good beaver can pack a lot of catch and also give you a good ride!![B)]

Back