Hardtop replacement on Double Eagle or Hourston

Yah that’s what I’m looking for. Do you have some inside pictures of the hardtop? Is that a 26? I’m looking at adding about 10 inches of height to my whole project as well as forward sloping windows. Then there will be the rod holders and eyebrow Bimini etc. Have a place giving me a cursory price. (Not DSS) I will have to take the drawings to them for a price as well.

Oly

That would be an awesome project...! :)

66816552_206354160288883_7813444493709914_n 2.jpg

Hey Oly1 when you have a sec, pls post a pic of the boat, I never seen a DE with command/flybridge...

I will try soon. Haven’t had any luck posting pictures before. I will have to figure it before I start a project for sure.

Oly

I will try soon. Haven’t had any luck posting pictures before. I will have to figure it before I start a project for sure.

Oly
Just text the pictures to yourself and they'll automatically resize to work. Or email and resize them manually when you send them. Use the resized photos to upload here. Super easy.

Will give that a try. Thanks for the explanation. When you resize them manually what are you looking for in regards to max size allowed.

Oly

Will give that a try. Thanks for the explanation. When you resize them manually what are you looking for in regards to max size allowed.

Oly
Not sure to be honest. The smallest to be safe?

Oly

It says not bigger than 3MB but have found that ones slightly smaller still have issues.

On a full cabin I wouldn't put a back on it will make the boat feel crammed breaks up the floor space to much, leave open back and use drop curtains that are easily rolled out of the way. It's big bucks I would get a quote prior to tearing what you have a part could change your mind when you have something that's functional to get out of the weather right now.

Get the quote then add a few grand by the time your done, boats milk you be careful. Definitely get a good fabricator because I've seen some pretty ugly boxes on top of hulls plus you don't want any cracking if you run in tough seas time to time. Nice tops on here that I've seen might be an idea to contact some of the members on here for who and how much. Proper paint is a must if covering the aluminum as it will start shedding the paint if not done right.

Last edited:
I fully recommend E&D fab,, then get the cab zolatone outside, furry inside, lol...
if you don't really need a bulkhead, go drop curtain as above mentioned.

On a full cabin I wouldn't put a back on it will make the boat feel crammed breaks up the floor space to much, leave open back and use drop curtains that are easily rolled out of the way. It's big bucks I would get a quote prior to tearing what you have a part could change your mind when you have something that's functional to get out of the weather right now.

Get the quote then add a few grand by the time your done, boats milk you be careful. Definitely get a good fabricator because I've seen some pretty ugly boxes on top of hulls plus you don't want any cracking if you run in tough seas time to time. Nice tops on here that I've seen might be an idea to contact some of the members on here for who and how much. Proper paint is a must if covering the aluminum as it will start shedding the paint if not done right.

The boat already has a full cabin and Alaska bulkhead. Totally closed off from the cockpit and nice to have on the cold days or when sleeping for a week on longer trips. It is outfitted with a standup bathroom, stove, sink, diesel heater, table etc. Quite comfortable on overnight trips. The boat has over 6 foot headroom inside. The problem I have is the roof and tops of the windows are too low. It’s hard to see when you are fishing out the back. Needs more height on the windows and the height of the command bridge isn’t helping either. You can hardly see out the front of the boat when you are fishing. Ok if you have a dedicated driver but that’s not always a possibility.

Looking at maybe a total aluminum top redo, new windows all around with a new Alaska bulkhead and an eye brow cover over the back door. Going to raise the roof appropriately 10 inches which should give lots of added visibility once the new windows are there.

Any other ideas???

Oly

Check out the Hielan' lassie put of Bamfield, in my opinion one of the best looking boats on the coast. One day I would like to replicate it with a 23' hourston. If I could figure out how to post photos I would.

Is the floor raised in the back because of the inboard? Not very familiar with that model. If possible maybe dropping the rear deck floor height would be less expensive and give you a straight through view? I've seen on many in board models the rear deck is quite high. Is the toilet in the bow or against the alaskan bulkhead?

Check out the Hielan' lassie put of Bamfield, in my opinion one of the best looking boats on the coast. One day I would like to replicate it with a 23' hourston. If I could figure out how to post photos I would.
It is Ian macdonald bamfield SportFishing I believe gorgeous boat I think he usto post on here all the time before every post has a keyboard warrior on it

Back