Hardtop replacement on Double Eagle or Hourston

The boat already has a full cabin and Alaska bulkhead. Totally closed off from the cockpit and nice to have on the cold days or when sleeping for a week on longer trips. It is outfitted with a standup bathroom, stove, sink, diesel heater, table etc. Quite comfortable on overnight trips. The boat has over 6 foot headroom inside. The problem I have is the roof and tops of the windows are too low. It’s hard to see when you are fishing out the back. Needs more height on the windows and the height of the command bridge isn’t helping either. You can hardly see out the front of the boat when you are fishing. Ok if you have a dedicated driver but that’s not always a possibility.

Looking at maybe a total aluminum top redo, new windows all around with a new Alaska bulkhead and an eye brow cover over the back door. Going to raise the roof appropriately 10 inches which should give lots of added visibility once the new windows are there.

Any other ideas???

Oly
I honestly considered a bow mounted camera linked to my tablet or a mirror on the Commander. No joke. My rear helm is purposely positioned right off the starboard side so I can drive while leaning off the side to see ahead. Every once in a while I poke my head through the door to look out the windshield or on the odd occasion I make the short jaunt to the port side to have a peek ahead. Sounds like a lot but I've managed the cap by myself. As far as I could see I didn't **** anyone off o_O;)

I think the camera is a great option, your boat looks great the way it is I would enjoy it as is. Unless you really enjoy serious projects and run on costs. If it were me I would put my boat up for sale if I wasn't happy with the lay out and wait for a boat that has already been modded how you like or close to it as it will be far less head ache and cheaper than if you were to take the same hull and make those mods. I once was very ambitious and would tear boats down then once into it would abort the project as the money flush would be to heavy for the sale able value at the end of the day. Boats aren't for ever most folks like to change it up plus life changes and at some point you will sell it so I always try to minimize the the loss one will take on a sale. That's my opinion but some folks love projects and creating their vision.

I think the camera is a great option, your boat looks great the way it is I would enjoy it as is. Unless you really enjoy serious projects and run on costs. If it were me I would put my boat up for sale if I wasn't happy with the lay out and wait for a boat that has already been modded how you like or close to it as it will be far less head ache and cheaper than if you were to take the same hull and make those mods. I once was very ambitious and would tear boats down then once into it would abort the project as the money flush would be to heavy for the sale able value at the end of the day. Boats aren't for ever most folks like to change it up plus life changes and at some point you will sell it so I always try to minimize the the loss one will take on a sale. That's my opinion but some folks love projects and creating their vision.

I very much agree, only if you can confirm the previous improvements had been done correctly. Many many boats claim to be redone but further investigation reveal shoddy workmanship which is sub standard and will lead you into even more costs than planned, as now you have to redo a redo.:eek:

For me my OCD will not allow it, if I fail I will do so on my own terms, rather than paying a premium for someone else’s mistakes... haha :D

Is the floor raised in the back because of the inboard? Not very familiar with that model. If possible maybe dropping the rear deck floor height would be less expensive and give you a straight through view? I've seen on many in board models the rear deck is quite high. Is the toilet in the bow or against the alaskan bulkhead?

The floor is raised a little bit but no more than usual. If I did the top and podded the boat after the inboard is done, I would like to raise the floor another three inches to get a self bailing deck. The deck is just overtop of the gas tank and would be unable to drop it any amount.

The toilet is on the starboard side against the Alaska bulkhead. Then the sink and stove are ahead of that beteeen the bathroom and the drivers seat. To port is the table and up against the bulkhead is a closet to the underside of the rear window.

I could easily live with what I have right now if the cabin sidewalks were 8 to 10 inches higher with taller windows. I’m 6 foot and have to scrunch down to see out the front window when driving. It is just wanting more visibility and functionality.

Oly

All great ideas for sure, just raising shouldn’t be that expensive, shop around and get er priced out, having comfort is important especially if you like everything else...

Rob

All great ideas for sure, just raising shouldn’t be that expensive, shop around and get er priced out, having comfort is important especially if you like everything else...

Rob

One of the problems with just raising is it really becomes a sail. If I’m going that route and raising, I would think that it would have to have the command bridge removed.

Oly

The boat already has a full cabin and Alaska bulkhead. Totally closed off from the cockpit and nice to have on the cold days or when sleeping for a week on longer trips. It is outfitted with a standup bathroom, stove, sink, diesel heater, table etc. Quite comfortable on overnight trips. The boat has over 6 foot headroom inside. The problem I have is the roof and tops of the windows are too low. It’s hard to see when you are fishing out the back. Needs more height on the windows and the height of the command bridge isn’t helping either. You can hardly see out the front of the boat when you are fishing. Ok if you have a dedicated driver but that’s not always a possibility.

Looking at maybe a total aluminum top redo, new windows all around with a new Alaska bulkhead and an eye brow cover over the back door. Going to raise the roof appropriately 10 inches which should give lots of added visibility once the new windows are there.

Any other ideas???

Oly
If seeing out back is your main issue if you remove the command bridge you can easily see over the roof the way it is now if your 6' tall. I would leave the inside as is and possibly lowering the floor 2" which is what I did in my 22' DE and i'm 6'3". You can probably rework your controls from the top to just on the other side of your standup bathroom which is where mine are located. No problem seeing over the roof from out back.

I re did my Grew and re-did the wheel house with an aluminum one. With windshield canted forward,and the rear wqall angled out to bring the roof line to my original canvas mount, I gained quite a bit more useable space on the same footprint as the original wheelhouse. I added 15'' of height to stop the concusions . The whole assembly turned out lighter in weight than the original fiberglass one.

I re did my Grew and re-did the wheel house with an aluminum one. With windshield canted forward,and the rear wqall angled out to bring the roof line to my original canvas mount, I gained quite a bit more useable space on the same footprint as the original wheelhouse. I added 15'' of height to stop the concusions . The whole assembly turned out lighter in weight than the original fiberglass one.

Sounds like a great improvement. Do you have a couple pictures??

Oly

Sounds like a great improvement. Do you have a couple pictures??

Oly

Hey, just checking in, ddi you do decided on the pilot house height mod on the DE?

Back