Handheld VHF

Red Monster

And thoughts about what kind of handheld VHF I should buy and where I ought to buy it? It's a backup unit for my boat or something to take along on someone else's boat that may or may not be equiped as well as mine. I'm wanting to buy now before I go to Renny in August. Thanks

I have an icom I got a few yrs ago - water proof works good. ONE piece of advice - get one with a lithium-ion battery the batt will last longer

I would have to agree in a way.... i would say get one with a battery pack but with an optional AA pack so you can just put regular batteries in.... because sometimes you just don't have time to charge... u just gotta reload and go again.... there are quite a few on the market with this option!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...542&subdeptNum=64&storeNum=3&productId=248062

Thanks for the feedback: I have no experience with handhelds and limited knowledge of VHF's in general.

I did some research today, and I'm thinking the icom M72 (see above link ...if it works) looks like it's got good features for the money: an X8 water rating (probably not much different than the X7 rating on the M88) and 20 hours of battery life (same as the M88). The M72 is a lot less money than the M88 but seems to have all the same important features. They both weigh exactly the same amount.

The less expensive units seem to have fewer hours of battery life from what I can tell.

Cheers

I dont know about Red Monster, but I pick up Icom M72 and I am so happy.

Back