Halibut Quota & Moosehead Beer :)

T

The Jackel

Just wondering if there is any indication if there will be quota left over again this season. Derby I am getting powerful thirsty :p

Was able to find this on the IPHC web page

http://iphc.int/news-releases/384-nr20140918b.html#im2014

The Ninety-First Annual Meeting of the International Pacific Halibut Commission will be held from Monday, January 26 through Friday, January 30, 2015 at the Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia. This year’s meeting is scheduled to open on Monday with presentations on the fishery, the 2014 stock assessment, and the harvest decision table, and conclude on Friday with Commission approval of catch limits and regulations. All public sessions and administrative sessions will be open to the public. These open sessions will also be webcast.

Something like 130-140 thousand pounds. So in a short two years our halibut guys are getting it dialed in without running out and the season closing.

Something like 130-140 thousand pounds. So in a short two years our halibut guys are getting it dialed in without running out and the season closing.
A hearty congrats and well done to those who dedicate their own time for this.

That's quite a bit. No reason why next year couldn't be shoulder one any size and 75-80lb limit for July/Aug and be fine into October.

Has there not been an official release of numbers since mid July?? One thing to keep in mind is we can also be slightly more risky next year considering we have left almost 400,000 lbs of halibut in the water in the past two years (Dialed in....lol), dfo would remember that come September and close to quota

Has there not been an official release of numbers since mid July?? One thing to keep in mind is we can also be slightly more risky next year considering we have left almost 400,000 lbs of halibut in the water in the past two years (Dialed in....lol), dfo would remember that come September and close to quota

that's a good point. It could be a USE IT OR LOSE IT scenario, but I'm sure with that much left over they'll look to open it up more in 2015 and let us use up the quota.

Well we start over and don't carry over but say it was sept 1st and we had used up our quota I'm pretty sure they'd keep it open for September and let us go over the 20k or whatever is caught in September considering 400k left in water over past two years. We are approaching risk in the halibut issue like we are a 64 year old with their investments. It's silly as the results from the past two years show. Remember this past year we raised the lower from 12 to 20 lbs and using dfo math that's what made the largest difference in going from 250k left in water to 130k. This shows that if the shoulder no size limit route isn't taken (still think best of both worlds) then could definitely raise upper to 90lbs all season without any trouble.

That's quite a bit. No reason why next year couldn't be shoulder one any size and 75-80lb limit for July/Aug and be fine into October.

If TAC stays the same or rises a bit and BIO factors do mot change too much, I sincerely hope the group looks long and hard at ways that they can rid us of the upper size limit at least, for even a a few shoulder months.This has nothing to do with a desire to kill a monster Hali. I do not have one It has to do with truly providing the most opportunity to the the most and widest array of REC anglers possible, as well as, of equal or greater importance, putting some of the fun back into it that has been taken away by the slot.

Bumping the size by 7 cm did help, but it did nothing to help simplify things for the average anglers or remove some of the BS attributed to boat side measuring ect ect. A shoulder option will provide a more relaxed and enjoyable experience for those who choose to fish in those months, as well as protect the TAC during high use times.

I understand there are complications that come with in season changes, but nothing that can not be overcome if the desire is there. We have proven that all ready.

These are my opinions and are ones shared by many other folks, I know. It would be nice to see some of the options presented last year on here, appear on the 2015 option sheet would it not?

Again I have much respect for those in the trenches.This in no way is meant to put there efforts down. Just trying to suggest a better for EVERYONE direction may be present.

Well we start over and don't carry over but say it was sept 1st and we had used up our quota I'm pretty sure they'd keep it open for September and let us go over the 20k or whatever is caught in September considering 400k left in water over past two years. We are approaching risk in the halibut issue like we are a 64 year old with their investments. It's silly as the results from the past two years show. Remember this past year we raised the lower from 12 to 20 lbs and using dfo math that's what made the largest difference in going from 250k left in water to 130k. This shows that if the shoulder no size limit route isn't taken (still think best of both worlds) then could definitely raise upper to 90lbs all season without any trouble.

What about us down here on South if we want to fish Oct -Dec which most are doing now this year... The halibut fishing has been quite good. This is the problem you want big fish to use up quota faster but then expect other areas to just close to accommodate... I don't like fall closing myself prefer it open.

This is the problem with the one fits all scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
If TAC stays the same or rises a bit and BIO factors do mot change too much, I sincerely hope the group looks long and hard at ways that they can rid us of the upper size limit at least, for even a a few shoulder months.This has nothing to do with a desire to kill a monster Hali. I do not have one It has to do with truly providing the most opportunity to the the most and widest array of REC anglers possible, as well as, of equal or greater importance, putting some of the fun back into it that has been taken away by the slot.

Bumping the size by 7 cm did help, but it did nothing to help simplify things for the average anglers or remove some of the BS attributed to boat side measuring ect ect. A shoulder option will provide a more relaxed and enjoyable experience for those who choose to fish in those months, as well as protect the TAC during high use times.

I understand there are complications that come with in season changes, but nothing that can not be overcome if the desire is there. We have proven that all ready.

These are my opinions and are ones shared by many other folks, I know. It would be nice to see some of the options presented last year on here, appear on the 2015 option sheet would it not?

Again I have much respect for those in the trenches.This in no way is meant to put there efforts down. Just trying to suggest a better for EVERYONE direction may be present.
X2 with the above-I hate any slot sizes especially when not applied across the board (ie. commercial). Anytime a large fish has to be brought along side and measured and then a decision is to be made to keep or not and in some cases to photo or not you are asking for; a. an illegal act to occur or b. fish mortality
c. injury to the fisherman. I have no idea how many really large halibut are taken (I don't target them) but if you are lucky enough to get one then it would be nice to have the option of keeping one a year especially since we have given up so much in numbers already.

I have no idea how many really large halibut are taken (I don't target them) but if you are lucky enough to get one then it would be nice to have the option of keeping one a year especially since we have given up so much in numbers already.

I just don't think that is realistic unless they have a different model for guides vs regular sporties (which we know wouldn't happen). To you and me, 1 a year seems reasonable with little effect on TAC, but then you'd have every guide able to catch 1 monster every single day for their clients (if they are in prime location of course and have that possibility). That wipes out the TAC immediately and is the reason this isn't an option.

Maybe we can move away from guide bashing and focus more on positive steps. Here are some things to consider:

All the local SFAC's were asked by the SFAB to get their input regarding recommendations and desires for the 2015 season into the SFAB before the December SFAB South and North Coast Meetings. The main goal of the SFAB remains to ensure we return to a full season (Feb to Dec) with 2 per day; 3 possession. That said, the reality of the current (and likely future) TAC is we will have to find ways to spread out the catch to get us as close as possible to that goal. This season we did manage to achieve one part of the goal - full season Feb - Dec.

At the end of the season the halibut measures got us a full season with 150,000 pounds uncaught as of Sept. Going forward the challenge is going to be to find future halibut measures that help us achieve those goals as closely as we can given our TAC.

So a good opportunity to connect with your local SFAC to provide your input directly given the call from the main SFAB out to the local SFAC's for input prior to the December meetings. All this chat over the forum is nice, but doesn't really gain much notice other than it is a great way to exchange ideas and opinions.

My own personal view on the topic is this season worked pretty well overall. I think the regulation choice blended a fairly wide variety of interests while not adversely risking early season closure of the fishery. The late season adjustment to possession limits was a nice incentive for people to extend their season. Maybe next year a " Fall shoulder season" no upper slot limit option would be a safe and practical way to allow people who want the option of catching a fish of a life time, or to simply fish without worry over measuring the upper slot limit would be a good way to go. That would look like 1 fish; 2 possession with no upper slot size limit on one of the 2 fish in possession after Sept 01 until Dec 31. I wouldn't make much adjustment to the slot limits from this season, other than the suggestion for a Fall shoulder season with no upper slot on 1 of 2 fish in possession.

I certainly see that as particularly safe because by September we know what TAC remains and we also have the luxury of knowing we got in a full season of halibut opportunity. My 25 cents.

So I don't hate the idea of a fall shoulder no upper size limit, I even kinda like that we might be starting to talk about other options. I do question if that would have much more impact in those months. Even going to a 2 a day possession with big fish at 70 only gave about an 8-k predicted usage oct1 to season end. When one considers historical numbers of fish over that size being caught each season and then applies that percentage to the very few people fishing and even fewer places getting fished at this time of year, there will likely be very little increase in usage. Absolutely nowhere near the 140 k predicted that we will leave in this year.

With that said and understanding that catch numbers are down this year, but average wpue was up 2.47lbs pounds,( rec numbers here to my understanding.) I still think it is not too big a risk to include some of the spring months into the shoulder option. I know Pat that you and some of the others are always worried about the unknown. The one you have mentioned would be shift in angler effort. I Understand some of the concern, but I do not see that as being anywhere near as big a problem as some are worried about. The overwhelming majority of fish taken come from July and August. Even when we had full open seasons, no slot, the spring months did not come anywhere close to the two summer months. Also as stated time and time again most(not all) but most traveling anglers come in the summer.

Because there is no official word on why the WPUE rose by 2.47lbs we have assumed it was by raising the second fish. I am of the understanding that there is some thought that the average weight per fish may be cycling up slowly again as there was , I think a small increase last year as well. There is also the unknowns surrounding the Bio risk adjustment and or mortality to consider. I think it is safe to say effort was not reduced this year due to weather. it was a darn nice spring and summer as I remember, so I think that can stay as is. A lack of salmon can have an affect yes. If that happens we see that in the summer months as well.

So considering these things and more, as well as staying on the side of caution, Looking at catch rates for the spring shoulder months both pre-slot and now with it, I think there would be room to add Feb 1 to may 31 in as no upper limit shoulder months. This would place June in with July and Aug. I don't see that as a problem . The weather is starting to become better in June so effort starts to go up then as well I think. As mentioned, based on historical catch rates I do not see the Fall shoulder having much affect with the no upper limit. So a similar or slightly larger TAC should allow for this suggestion. Any refrence to past numbers here is by memorry as I have lost all my files that had that stuff on it. (Comp issues).
There is much to be gained by providing all angler types with the most choices and options. As long as we can be reasonably confident that we can stay within the TAC those options should be given much effort and consideration in my opinion.

I should also note that the spring shoulder dose need careful examination by those with the exact past catch numbers before them. I do acknowledge that in the years of similar tac and the implementation of the original 126/83cm slot we did push ourselves over our TAC by as early as the necessary for the month of May to be madded to the summer months if one considers this.

Anyway I support decisions that HONESTLY and ACTUALLY provide the most choices and opportunity while remaining within the TAC . I do not support choices that exclude and limit choices and options unnecessarily. So my vote is foe some form of shoulder season providing no upper limit
Cheers: ray

I prefer an approach that takes small measured steps to tweak the halibut measures to allow us to learn from experience. Its just far too complicated to factor in accurately all the potential variables that affect harvest rates. I'm certain that everyone involved in examining all the potential options is aiming at exactly what you are asking for without putting at risk the number 1 objective of achieving a full fishing season. Just because they might disagree with some of our suggestions and predictions doesn't make them or the process "dis-honest" or "inaccurate." Rather, I think its a matter of approach to risk assessment and tolerance for risk.

For argument sake, that 140K divided by a 25 pound average is only 5,600 fish. If the upper end of the slot is removed and the average jumped up to 30 pounds that looks like around 4,600 fish. If there was an increase in angler effort brought on by open slots it would be difficult to accurately predict how fast that would get used up - even by looking retrospectively at pre-slot data...much has changed in angler interest and techniques since then. There is no question the fall opening is being used by anglers in some locations, and is highly valued by them. I agree with creating opportunity to perhaps catch some (not too many spawner removals please) larger fish, so long as we do not put at risk angling opportunities created by a full season fishery.

That said, my sense is any "shoulder season" no slot options would have to be strongly weighted towards mitigating risk to an early season closure to gain much traction IMO.

searun, the numbers are there to calculate with no upper size limit spring shoulder as well as fall shoulder and with those plus an 80lb top limit during peak season would leave us around the quota...it is a win win for all that are involved. Leaves those that want the chance at a once in a lifetime fish for march-june plus sept onwards....then peak season for guides it leaves a nice size limit at 80lbs. It is ECONOMICALLY the best solution too...SFAB has to think economically as well. Win-win. Appeases all those involved in my opinion.

Not that I don't disagree, but vic-tory when I read that your saying those dates because its suits south island perfectly. What about mainland the rest of island? That is the program we also need to get with, and identify with. There are other areas here each with different needs. That's why I respect what searun posted. All the SFAB stated what they wanted and they settled on a fair solution. It sound like it stayed open didn't close gave everyone lots of opportunity.... I am not sold in big butt fish thing. But sure bumping size up a little that I don't disagree... I think everyone should be letting there SFAB know concerns face to face... It hard knowing why things are chosen if don't ask people involved.. I am very thankful for what SFAB and the halibut ground fish group do this year... Its far from a win but it kept season open longer...

I think they did a good job developing the rules for this year. tough to predict human behaviour. I wonder how it would have turned out if it was not such a good salmon year.

Back