Halibut fishing etiquette

Common sense should prevail. Generally speaking good manners aren't rocket surgery. Things like.... don't slide in behind someone and block them out; avoid being so close that if the current swings there could be issues; avoid anchoring in a position where you will inhibit someone pulling their anchor; don't set your anchor in a way where there is risk you can swing and tangle etc...

I've fished pretty close to my buddies with no issues so long as the weather and tides cooperate. All the safety talk isn't exactly well founded. Replace safety with give me some space is what I think most guys really mean.

And no one likes a guy doing a drive by to punch in the gps position...a lot of time/effort can go into finding productive locations so I totally understand why guys are getting pissed off.

I hear what your saying and it is always 1 or 2 in a group & if u get the name of the outfit then a quick email or call letting them know.. the problem is just becauses i have a C number on my boat doesnt mean I su
hould be targeted & we deserve equal respect .. over the last 3 years its became a **** show with bad acting sportie boats ( Beaks) ..Either they dont know or just dont care but there is a whole ocean out there .. asked a guy last year if i could fire a humburger up for him because he anchored so close... so it works both ways.. My favorite day is when I'm works with 3 or 4 other boats and that gives me the room i need ....
Like I say in my industry, it's only 95% that give the 5% of us a bad reputation.

Back