Gun Control in US and Canada

tell us more about how a gun ban caused murders to rise in Chicago?

Where did i say that? NO surprise thats all you took from the article.

The entire nations violent crime rate and murder rate has fallen consistently since 1990, pretty much every where. Yet the cities with the most violent crimes and gun related crimes held the same spots regardless of what stupid laws they tried to instill.

Last edited by a moderator:
a good piece of information to explore is what actually happened in australia with their ban on semi-automatic weapons. simply declairing such a move would have no impact is a bit over the top.

A few observations:-

Why did Adam Lanza get away with this crime?....because society let him get away with it.

Conditions were created for 'the perfect storm'......and it happened. All the elements were in place.

Think the buck will stop with the Adam Lanza debacle? No it won't.

This one hits home because of all the children and teachers involved.....and the media is going to milk it for all it is worth. It is a terrible tragedy for all.......but there have been other shootings after this one that almost got zero coverage.

Prohibition didn't stop alcohol consumption or related blackmarket crimes.

The war on drugs is not a war....it is a commodity industry. Keeps a lot of people employed on either side of the moral/legal fence.

Markets are fuelled by demand. In America there is a public demand for both guns and drugs. (Prescription drugs currently topping the list). The demand nowadays by all segments of the population for scrip drugs makes the hippies of the late sixties look like school-marm spinsters.

As long the demand is there , the market will exist in whatever form is necessary.

Money talks......B.S. walks.

The NRA is run by people that are almost as mentally unstable as Adam Lanza was.

They believe in putting out fire with gasoline.

There will be more Adam Lanza's.........these people exist as we speak and they are on their way to the final showdown of their own horrific creation.

They will get away with it......because we are going to let them get away with it.

Giving everyone in school a gun is no guarantee of safety.

First.......are you the kind of person that can return fire in a life threatening situation with pin-point accuracy and no qualms about extinguishing another human life?

You might be....but there are thousands out there that couldn't...and would freeze at the exact moment of trigger-pull. Just like many of the soldiers in Worldwar Two who died because they found the situation to be too overwhelming in the heat of the moment.

Not every grade-school teacher has the kojones of Clint Eastwood.

Nor do they have the weapon accuracy. Most people, without extensive training, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door with a Smith &Wesson .38 revolver , if the distance was over 20 feet.

Something to think about if there are ten children between you and the armed perp.

columbine HAD an armed 'school safety officer' on duty. he engaged one of the perps but missed at 60'. he did call for backup but they would not enter until an army had been assembled. the presence of that SRO did nothing to deter or stop those killings. the NRA is a lobbist for the gun industry. one should not confuse their statements as representing any attempt to protect gun rights in the US. the supremes have already ruled on behalf of gun ownership making the NRA irrelevant in this discussion. as lobbyists, they have a role to play in increasing gun sales, they have succeeded once again in that role. what fails to be discussed are the first words in that second ammendment, 'a well organized militia......' that is hardly representative of the general rable who clammer for assault types of weapons. what language from 1776 has to do with what is going on in 2012 is a complete mysery to this citizen.

a good piece of information to explore is what actually happened in australia with their ban on semi-automatic weapons. simply declairing such a move would have no impact is a bit over the top.

Where do you read things have been good since the ban? ive looked (not very hard mind you) and alomst everything ive skimmed seems to say that the ban hasnt really worked. I have done quite a bit reasearch since the inception of this thread, and its really tough to get the "real info" as both sides skew the stats so bad in there favour that all the results and the way they package them makes it very hard to get down to the bare bones data. THere are some many factors that can be involved in "firearm deaths are down 5%" or gun related deaths or up 28% that its unreal.

Everything I've seen in the news since this incident has convinced me the gun lobby is playing on fear and insecurity.

Where do you read things have been good since the ban? ive looked (not very hard mind you) and alomst everything ive skimmed seems to say that the ban hasnt really worked. I have done quite a bit reasearch since the inception of this thread, and its really tough to get the "real info" as both sides skew the stats so bad in there favour that all the results and the way they package them makes it very hard to get down to the bare bones data. THere are some many factors that can be involved in "firearm deaths are down 5%" or gun related deaths or up 28% that its unreal.

The New York Times has already referred to Australia’s gun laws as a “road map” for the U.S., saying that “in the 18 years before the law, Australia suffered 13 mass shootings — but not one in the 14 years after the law took full effect.”

Coincidence? You would probably say it is since you always argue the other side...I say otherwise

The New York Times has already referred to Australia’s gun laws as a “road map” for the U.S., saying that “in the 18 years before the law, Australia suffered 13 mass shootings — but not one in the 14 years after the law took full effect.”

Coincidence? You would probably say it is since you always argue the other side...I say otherwise

Not at all, Im totally for control that makes sense.. And i cant really figure out the semi automatic or pump action one (which australia currently doesnt have banned, but they make it quite hard to own one) would make sense. I have read that semis that require more then 5 rounds arent allowed (which im good with). I guess they just dont have the type of watefowling , and shotgunning we have here? I dont own any semi autos for the record.

Lorne

I am a believer in gun control through education and strict harsh penalites for those not abiding.

in the US a semi-automatic shotgun you would use for waterfowling cannot have more than 2 shells in the magazine. a box magazine rifle, i believe, is limited to 4 rounds. both of these would be easier to define than 'assault' rifle which caused a huge arguement and over 200 exclusions the last time around.

federal law requires a 10 year tack on sentence to any crime committed with a firearm. unfortunately, not all federal prosecuters follow the law.

Australia has had no mass shootings since the ban, well other than Monash, where luckily 5 of the 7 people shot survived.
Yup, no mass shootings.
As for the no semi auto rifles in Australia. I borrowed an AR10 when I was down in Australia so I could go hog hunting. It was real, it was in private hands and I was feeding it from 20rnd mags. The guns are still out there and apparently if you knew how to work the paperwork they are still legal.

But how about that gun free Australia I keep hearing about.

there would be no way to confiscate the firearms of individuals in the US. what is possible, i think, is a total ban on semi-automatic long guns along with high cap magazines. exceptions for box magazine rifles with a capacity of 4-5 rounds, a popular hunting rifle set up, and shotguns with a magazine capacity of one in the pipe and two in the magazine only took that many words to describe. heading down the slippery slope of defining 'assault' weapon resulted in over 200 exclusions the last time this was tried.

now for those in possesion of these now banned weapons, any use of those weapons in any criminal activity should result in mandatory sentencing tack ons of lets say an additional 30 years without a chance of parole.

just a couple of thouhts from a gun owner.

The only thing wrong with stiffer penalties and "add on" for a mass killer is that he already plans to shoot himself after he shoots as many of his targets as possible. How does that discourage them?

Just wondering why it is that most of the video hardware game units like X-box etc. always come packaged with a game like "Black Ops', "Assassin's Creed', 'Call Of Duty' etc etc. etc.

Is this brainwashing by the corporations to get us acclimatized to killing?

You buy one of these for your kids at Christmas and on Christmas day they are shooting people's teeth out and blowing skulls off while listening to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman".

It would interesting to know the death rate figures from guns in the U.S. (and Canada territory) back when the "wild west" was in full swing, not counting civil wars and the like. I believe the early 1800's was when alcohol consumption per capita was the highest it's ever been in the U.S.

Most of the gun culture mentality IMO in the U.S. and Canada comes from decades of promotion by Hollywood film-makers. And we know that Hollywood has been in bed with the military on many an occasion. The movie "Top Gun" was made expressly to conjure up interest from recruitable youth for example. "Top Gun " is one of dozens of Hollywood films designed to elicit interest in the armed forces.

On the face of it, politicians will bend a little whichever way the public wind is blowing....in order to stay elected.
But the deeper agenda is IMO that they would much prefer us to be carrying a weapon than bending gunbarrels into plowshares.

Up here in Canada our soldiers have been cleansed of all moral responsibilty by simply changing the name to "Peacekeepers".
Or as Neil Young once said " We have a kinder gentler machine-gun hand".

Mao Tse Tung was right. Power comes from the barrel of a gun. There's nothing like having a large caliber fast firing gun in your hand to compensate for a flaccid non-working limp dick.

Mao meant it in reference to the military...... but guns in the hands of many today are simply another "drug' designed to prop up their feeling of inadequacy. Go to any gun range and have a look at the people's faces while they are firing away. Check out the posture and the eyes glazed over with that sense of power that comes from knowing they can put 18 shots into the f**ker before he gets off on them. Power-trip pure an simple.

In my day it was toy guns at Christmas to play cowboys and Indians, which at least got you outside and running around. Otherwise things haven't changed much.

Just to clarify...

There is a large difference between assault rifles and assault weapons. Having an unregistered "assult "rifle" in your pocession without a permit and license will get you 10 years in the federal pen!

The ONLY difference in an assault weapon and semiautomatic is the number of rounds the magazine will hold. As mentioned, in trained hands, the size of the magazine means little. That was also shown true in the last “assault weapons ban” in 1994 that expired in 2004. High capicity magazines are the largest problem Which, is probably the only thing that will happen again due to the recent “massacre” so publicized that is being highly publicized for both monetary and political gains.

Worldwide, the U.S. does have more shootings than some countries, less than others per capita. However, you will find if one removes the wars and other outside influences, the U.S. has very few “mass murders” and/or “massacres” in relationship to the world with the use of guns. One doesn’t have to look hard to prove that – just think of all the dictators that banned their populations from the right to bear arms starting say with a guy named - Hitler.

Back