Grady 232 Repoding

been told to use nothing but marine fuel and i"ll be fine.. checked with a couple friends that been using them for a season and said they have been great... 6 year warrenty :)

been told to use nothing but marine fuel and i"ll be fine.. checked with a couple friends that been using them for a season and said they have been great... 6 year warrenty :)

Thats pretty much all I need to put me across the goal line. The defined 300hp DP sounds like an option but I can't go down in posted HP, that would be a sin! I think you're going to love that rig even more than before. Now go get it wet, nothing better than a snow storm for a sea trial!!

To squeeze 350 HP from 4.4 liters (80 HP per liter) Suzuki started with a new cowl design that features dual intake louvers and passages lined with rows of small vanes or fins designed to convert water vapor to heavier particles that are then drained away. The result, according to Suzuki, is a flow of dry air to the engine that is never more than 10 degrees warmer than ambient. Cooler air makes more power, of course. Intake and exhaust ports are re-shaped, and the engine features dual 10-hole fuel injectors for each cylinder that deliver a fine mist of highly atomized fuel and eliminate fuel puddling before the intake valves. The range of the variable intake camshaft timing is increased to 30 degrees from 20 degrees, and the engine is fitted with shot-peened slipper pistons that are very strong and very light weight. WOT operating range is 5700-6300 RPM. The compression ratio is a very high 12:1 and to extract maximum power the motor should get 91 octane fuel.

The article this comes from recommends 91 octane for best power. This usually means some sensor does something like change valve timing to reduce the effective compression ratio as needed to prevent detonation. Multiple fuel injection events can also mitigate detonation as will the cooler incoming air. Seeing as we are not on Florida the incoming air will be on the cool side of what this is designed for, so maybe 87 octane up here will perform as well as 91 octane in Florida?? Just a WAG on my part.

Welcome to Team Zuki. Looks like we are on the same page. I'm sure you will be as happy as I am with the results. Rock on...
Orca-Re-34-dock-port-stern-2.jpg

How many litre s a hr are you burning? Looking forward to running the 350 :)
Howdy, if memory serves, I believe I was getting on average about a 45 litre burn at a cruise of 28 mph. This was a significant improvement in burn and speed over the original Volvo 7.4 I/O . Lots of throttle left but both me and the engine seemed happy at that level. WOT was over 40 mph. Only down side was that every time I reached my starting point and fired up the kicker to start fishing, I kept forgetting to shut off the main because it was idling so quiet... :D

Last edited:
Looks great albeit way to dry! So do you have to carry a special prop wrench to remove the inner and outer props like the VP duo prop?

I am interested to see what the long term maintenance will be on these, if it will be similar to maintaining a volvo DP, really excited to finally see this come to futition, since yamaha gave it a go nearly a decade ago and then abandonded it.

also I have seen this now a few times, I havent had to make the repairs myself, but I have been wondering if GW bothered to thicken the hull for these applications. I have a bit of a gripe with newer GW's as they are not built nearly as well as they used to be. If you pull out a few panels you will see the newer boats will have 2x4's laminated as bracing between the inner and outter sections along the sides, onlt glassed in at the ends. This leaves a bunch of exposed wood to rot out. And it seems like they have done the same as many and thined the hull to save $$$$ during the build. Ski nautique did this to the point that the weight of the engine would crack the hull in less than a year (had two full hull replacements for one owner who only used the boat on cultas lake)

I'm rated for 400hp on the back of this hull and the transon is super solid at this time.. im just in the process of sealing up all the holes on the transom.. I would say that the hull does seem thin ..just in the process sof doing a patch job on the starboard side..will post up as it goes along.. I havent got what I will need to pull the prop yet.. If i have to pull it will eithe r be in shop as I have smack a dead head or a impeller which i prefer the shop to do that.. The motor does have a much bigger bottom end then the 300hp did for sure

started on the install of the auto pilot on the weekend.. Breakers did my Pump wihen they did the motor install & i got the compess on this weekend..

Attachments

• 20210227_114243_resized.jpg
    20210227_114243_resized.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210228_135037_resized.jpg
    20210228_135037_resized.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210228_142004_resized.jpg
    20210228_142004_resized.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 109
@Derby did you get a shakedown cruise in with the new pod and power? Interested in numbers you achieved and how the pod felt on the old girl

Not yet.. Hoping to have my auto pilot and all new electronic package done this weekend so pretty quickly :)

Back