Gps use opinion

JDR

Talking about gps use re the map, What do you prefer when setting up your GPS, course up, north up, or chart up.
I prefer course up, like to see where i'm going. With north up which is proper for reading charts I find it too confusing, Like looking where i"ve been.
What are your thoughts, Thanks JDR

definitely course up...I have to use my brain enough at work, the less brain power needed when fishing the better. That may not be the 'proper' way, but it is the most intuitive.

I use north up but that is because I have always used it in my other life( pilot) but that doesn't mean it's the easiest-just a habit and they aren't always the best things. If the boat is relatively stationary I find course up can be confusing-going into or leaving a tight channel-course up is probably the way to go. I will probably switch this year as I have a crew member who is starting to drive the boat more than me and he finds it easier(course up). All I know is -if you find something that does not confuse you -use it all the time. Confusion about what instruments are telling you causes a lot of accidents no matter what type of machinery you're running!!! Don't switch back and forth-it'll bite you. LOL

I find Course up less confusing.

Me too! My wife prefers north up because she's a backpack hiker but because I'm the Captain on our boat I changed the plotter to Course Up this past year. I wish I'd done it a long time ago.
Dave

Interesting thought...I run my radar right beside my plotter, and never even considered that they were showing different views...I guess my brain has gotten used to the conversion between the two.

That being said, I will give course up a go, and see how it goes. Thanks for pointing out the idea, Beemer.

FishWish

Depending on the radar, it can run heads up, north up, or course up (also depends on if it interfaced with a heading input). The way target trails are displayed makes a difference too... Especially on collision avoidance decisions (if your radar can track targets)
I would always run North up, and if target trail are available it would be "true" trails. When "it" hits the fan, and you have to compare paper chart to radar ppi, it's good to have them oriented the same by default. And have your brain trained to immediately recognize same.
Lesson learned years ago though, unless conditions dictate otherwise, rely on what you see and hear to be more accurate than the machine in the corner.
There is a very real phenomena known as "radar assisted collision".

Back