GPS advice please :)

jeffb

I am looking to replace my old outdated Furuno GPS chartplotter with a new unit. The problem is... im a totaly novice when it comes to GPSChartplotter technology. I have not figured out my budget as of right now, but know that I would like to stay below $1000. Im assuming I can get into a very good unit for that price. I currently have as mentioned an outdated Furuno GPS and a basic Lowrance fishfinder. Any advice on brands, technology tranducers would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Lots of posters here, myself included, have units from the Lowrance HDS series, these are combination GPS/sonar units. IMO you need a 7" screen or larger for the combo unit to make much sense. Any smaller than that and running split screens results in both being too small for much viewability, you're better off with separate devices. The HDS 7 starts at $850 with no transducer.

there are lots of really good units now, not sure if any one is better that the other. I had a lowrance for years and loved it, now have a garmin, love that too. Don't be afraid to spend a little more to get a really nice unit with a good size screen. Id say around 1500$

how old is your furuno? and what model?

Back