Good News To everyone that bought Navionics map sets in the last year

gon fishin

Well I think that it was about time but Navionics has updated all their Canadian charts by adding the contour lines that they were forced to remove last year or so by Canadian Hydrographics If you have purchased your chip in the last year All you have to do is go to the Navionics web store Download their program and choose I have a plotter then continue from there It takes about an hour Make sure that you change the power settings on your computer so your computer will not go to sleep or into hibernation from lack of activity and I wouldn't try to do other things while the map is updating ( yes no BC Sportfishing for an hour) But it will well worth the wait And now you will be able to find your own hali spots easily on your new maps LOL Also If you have purchased your map set in the last year your are entitled to run those same maps on your laptop as an app I believe all you have to do is register your map set I know these upgrades work for Humminbird Lowrance and Raymarine at least They have gotten around Can Hydrographics but adding a community layer and by advising you that these maps are not for navigation and that you should always carry your paper maps on board

I would like to thank Dane and Mike at The Chandler for all their hard work in making this happen

Really good news! In one word the new charts "Suck!". Now to go out to my boat, grab the chip, come home, update, go back out to the boat, install and go fishing, all during fishing season. Decisions, decisions!

I bought the platinum chip this winter and was very disappointed when comparing it to my older gold chip. I did the update last weekend and I am a very happy camper now!

Great news! I too spent $200 usd on a platinum chip and was really disappointed. The US side has tons of detail our side next to none. Then I realized the same navionics charts for my iPhone were only $15 instead of $200!

This will make me a bit happier thanks for letting us know.

Now, I bought the platinum chip in 2009. Would that update also apply for that or only for 2011 chips?

Chris I believe you only get free updates for one year after purchase. So you might be out of luck. You might be able To pay for additional updates or maybe your maps have better detail because they are older.

Too bad that I have nothing to compare with. Has someone seen the older maps and the 2011 and now the updated 2012? How do they compare? Thanks!

Chris look at border bank off Victoria (also known as coyote bank). If you have the crappy charts on the US side you'll see a bunch of contour lines that stop right at the border. On the Canadian side there is very little detail. Now that my charts are updated the contours cross the border and both sides of the map have equal detail. I don't think border bank is named on the charts hopefully you know where to find it. I have just updated my phone app so far I'll take pics of the difference when I update my Lawrance chip.

As promised before and after pictures of sooke and port renfrew. I am stoked with these new maps this is closer to the quality I thought I was paying for in the first place. My pics of border bank showed it even clearer but for some reason I can't upload the new one but the old version is there to see how crappy it was.
OldRenfrew.jpgNewRenfrew.jpgOldSooke.jpgNewSooke.jpg

Attachments

• OldBorder.jpg
    OldBorder.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 147
I bought my Navionics card in January 2012 but when I go to the Navionics Web site to download from I have a plotter it says after 2 months of purchase you must pay $199.00 to get the upgrade you are talking about. Any suggestions

Now, I bought the platinum chip in 2009. Would that update also apply for that or only for 2011 chips?

If you got a chart in 2009, there shouldn't be any problems with it. The only problems are from the last 1½ years as they simply copy the CHS charts).

F D

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the missing contour lines mess.
I have an iphone and purchased my version in the spring of 2010. I noticed that areas I had marked are now gone as well as the depth contours. Must have
disappeared with an update i downloaded.
Why did they have to remove them? Licensing? Can you shed some light on this for me. In my opinion they removed one of the most important features on the whole system.
I now have an Ipad and wanted to purchase the ipad version. I don't want to now, if there are no contour lines.... Any idea if the Ipad version has them?

Thanks
Rob

The missing contour lines had something to do with licensing and Canadian Hyrdrographics suing all the chart guys for 67 million
As for the 2 month thing there is a work around when the screen that says you have to pay scroll further down and they will ask where you got your charts or something you can type in The Chander and Nanaimo and ciontinue frrom there or you can phone Chander direct and they will give you the exact procedure You should have got 1 year of updates when you bought the chip I didn't have to do the work around but Dane said that might happen but not to worry The new updated charts are the same as the old ones with just a little bit of updating from Canadian Hydrographics and this applies to all forms of the charts ie I phone PC apps ect And for those of you that have the 1 year free updates Don't forget you can have the same maps on 2 of your laptops for free

Why can't Canada have their Marine charts openly distributed for free like the U.S Noaa charts !? You can go to the U.S Noaa site and down load every marine chart for the entire U.S.A.. and they are freely distributed!
In Canada its much the opposite here.... Marine charts should be FREE! Hope one day Canada gets with the program... "Canadian Hydrographic suing all the chart guys for 67 million"
How Pathetic is that? compared to the U.S.... Come on Canada... get with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back