gold river/north island

Poppa Swiss

We have low water conditions right now. I was at the Quatse today (not fishing) and it is up a little bit and has a bit of colour showing. Also there was 7-8 vehicles at the bridge below the hatchery, so lots if fishers. I tried to fish the Cluxewe and a couple of smaller streams on the weekend and it was hard, with low water and gin clear conditions.
It has been very cool up here so there is lots of snow in the hills and very little melt. It rained yesterday, but has been snowing off and on for most of today. Untill it warms up and we get some water flowing, I would save a trip, at least for the next couple of weeks.

Not sure about the Nimpkish or the Gold, but I would suggest they are the same.

sitkaspruce

what about the nahwitti????it can b a great producer this time of year ......even in low cond. as well as the goodspeed....have u heard of any reports from those streams!!!!

Nothing as of yet, but maybe this weekend, if things keep going as they are.;)

If I hear anything, I will post it.

SS

Up date on the North island

The Nahwitti and Godspeed are are up and flowing with good water. Most of the others are up and have good flow. I am sure most of the streams on the North Island are up as well.

Did not fish, just took a trip out to Holberg and Port Alice today.

Just thought you should know.

SS

thanx sitka!!!!good 2 hear....u went that far u should have got a line wet....as 4 the sss...skunked last 3 days....4 me anyways....can anyone ad 2 that???

quote:Originally posted by shake a paw

thanx sitka!!!!good 2 hear....u went that far u should have got a line wet....as 4 the sss...skunked last 3 days....4 me anyways....can anyone ad 2 that???

Had the GF with me and we went to Patterson bay and San Joe. It was great day. Next weekend....

u had your gf with u......u both could have got a line wet LMAO....just kiddin...its good 2 hear theres some water around up there.....just finished watching a hd show from a bunch of fellas who went up to the north island...man did they ever get em...it must b nice 2 fish un pressured water.....makes me miss it dearly...

well it rained good here yesterday....rivers swelling...big tides...i must find them today......skunked yesterday....again

shakes

nice pic holmes!!!!i'll take sea lice on 1 of those any day!!!!!

Planning a trip to the gold next weekend, and I was wondering if anyone has been out there lately and might have idea on water flow conditions and snow levels farther upstream. Anything is much appreciated

quote:Originally posted by steeleagle

Planning a trip to the gold next weekend, and I was wondering if anyone has been out there lately and might have idea on water flow conditions and snow levels farther upstream. Anything is much appreciated

The river is very low. Snow level is way down. It will need to warm up quite a bit to bring up the river. When it does, it will likely flood before the rivers in shape to fish.

right on guys I hope it rains and is warm for the week to bring the river up. On a different note is the road to Tahsis passable right now, or is there two much snow on that route? I've herd mixed rumors about the Quatse, but it might be a better option if the gold is too low. Has anyone been up to the north end, salmon,quatse, and Nahwitti rivers, or others in the north end? I have a new 4x4, but I haven't been up into any snow with it yet, it's probably not as good as my old cj which is off the road for now..
I'm just trying to plan the best trip for the most chrome, but it's been a while since I've been out their, I grew up in the Comox Valley, but haven't fished the Island for a couple of years.

Thanks again

Fished the Nimpkish on Sunday on my way home. No fish, but just fished the Gold creek to Powerline. I hipe to get out to the Nahwitti and Godspeed this weekend. Water is up a bit and it has been warm, +11 the other day.

I heard from a guy at berrys bait in richmond that the road that goes up along the gold has 2-3' of snow and they had to turn around. This was not even up to the muchalat river. Is this the same road that goes to Woss (nimpkish main)?? This might be good cause I want to stop in at the gold for a couple days then move up north or vise versa, more of a scenic route, and a short cut depending on the snow amount... I guess chains would be a good idea..:)

Right on Holmes, sounds good now all we need is a few good sprinkles to raise the river. Is the a-frame bridge the one that crosses the muchalat river then right after that theres another that crosses the gold? Theres probably not much room to pull off and park along the road is there?
Thanks so much for the info you've made my decision on getting chains before I go a must do..
I'm probably planning to come for the 29th or so, is that the busy weekend in town or this one coming up?
thanks

Remember Both rivers are closed from upstream of the confluence of the Much. and Gold.

Hear of any fish being hooked lately on the gold? water still low i guess and rain is coming but might not be enough to bring it up. How has the San Josef been, or the White. My trip starts in 2 more days and I can't wait, just need to find some good low clear flows that are fishing alright right now. If anyone nows of any good spots that they might want to share (don't worry I catch and release only and don't spread the word like other ppl) or have any recommendations on some far northern out of the way flows that should be good, please let me know, got to get my girlfriend hooked on steelie's and I only have one chance if you know what I mean.

Thanks guys

Back