Going through Scotty stop beads

BarryA

Crew Member
I decided to switch from braid to 180# Scotty wire on my 2106’s this season as an experiment. So far so good other than the yellow stop beads tend to break or bend off and need to be replaced frequently.

they seem to break off when going through the pulley if the pulley is not aligned downward toward the water, putting side pressure on the beads. Even still, once I correct that they still mysteriously disappear. I put three beads on and space them a few inches apart so they don’t bind up. They are nice and tight and don’t slide.

I’m losing a bead per day trip, trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I bought a 24 pack of the yellows. Slight annoyance, never had a single problem the last 15 years with reds on braid. Would appreciate any wisdom on the subject.

I decided to switch from braid to 180# Scotty wire on my 2106’s this season as an experiment. So far so good other than the yellow stop beads tend to break or bend off and need to be replaced frequently.

they seem to break off when going through the pulley if the pulley is not aligned downward toward the water, putting side pressure on the beads. Even still, once I correct that they still mysteriously disappear. I put three beads on and space them a few inches apart so they don’t bind up. They are nice and tight and don’t slide.

I’m losing a bead per day trip, trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I bought a 24 pack of the yellows. Slight annoyance, never had a single problem the last 15 years with reds on braid. Would appreciate any wisdom on the subject.
Weird, I don't have that problem at all - maybe once a season. Wonder if you got a bad batch of beads? Have you asked Scotty?

just go to a setup like similar to this and forget the beads. I don't even use the swivel or the scotty hook any more.IMG_3928.JPGIMG_3929.JPGIMG_3930.JPGIMG_3931.JPGIMG_3932.JPG

Wire would be difficult with that setup due to the need for a thimble which can’t go through the pulley.

my setup is wire to thimble to costal lock to 15#\20# ball. Super simple.

Weird, I don't have that problem at all - maybe once a season. Wonder if you got a bad batch of beads? Have you asked Scotty?
This happens with separate packs of beads. I see there are packs of yellow and black beads, haven’t tried the black ones yet.

Wire would be difficult with that setup due to the need for a thimble which can’t go through the pulley.

my setup is wire to thimble to costal lock to 15#\20# ball. Super simple.
Gun the thimble and just go with a swivel then the thimble is just to stop a kink. Swivel will do the same thing just a tighter radius.

This is another way to go. No beads with this setup either

1628443899238.png

Ive had this happen myself, the pulleys have a fairly square inner edge and like he said If the pulley is turned too much the stopper catches that square inner edge and either gets pushed down or popped off. The older style scotty boom pulleys were way better. Only really bugs me in sockeye season when i'm using more stops and more precise with my distances between rigs.

I have had some bad yellow ones. Dry and brittle. Might have something to do with too much sun when sitting on the fish deck in my clear storage boxes but not sure. I have had zero problems with the orange ones and I find them more supple than the yellow ones and a bit longer and easier to put the cable through. I use them as stops for before the top line, for keeping the clip from sliding on the top line while stacking, and for the bottom line up above the cannon ball to keep the clip in place.

No idea if the orange ones are made the same way or not but they are definitely different size/diameter than the yellow and black ones. After putting new ones on they will move a little bit maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so then usually stay in place. The cable needs to get really embedded into them.

ive also found that the beads go missing with the 180lb wire. I stack two rods per rigger so stops are a necessity! I do use my own tuna cord sure stops. helps when idiots try to wind the ball onto the spool... usually me

Back