Gibson's Area Salmon Fishing

cohochinook

Heading over to the Sunshine Coast for the weekend. I am going to moor my boat in Gibsons. Anyone been out recently for Salmon? Any tips or reports? I have fished Gower Point once before but other then that not too much.

Thanks in advance!

Gibsons BC home to the beachcombers, coastal craft boats and where I grew up. Fishing Gibsons is always a tough area for salmon. The gap has produced in the past and if the weather allows it camp byng to gower pt was always a better bet. The weather has been good the last few days from what friends of mine that still live there have told me. Further up the coast secret cove gets alot of pressure so it seems to yield more fish. Secret cove is a bit of a long run from gibsons. If you are running to gibsons you probably aren't interested in fishing bowen but it has always produced more consistant fishing (tunstall etc.) If mooring at the gibsons marina be sure to make reservations as it gets very busy when the weather gets good. Keats island is always another option to moor at if the marina is full. Locals fish the area fairly hard for springs. Make sure all your safety gear is on board as the local rcmp spend alot of time on the water there and are pretty harsh. They seem to really crack down on alcohol on the water. Have a good trip and even if you don't hook up with fish the area is worth the cruise just to see it. Hard to believe that Vancouver is within sight yet feels like it is on the moon when you are there. Man has that place changed though in the last few years. It has turned into a west vancouver suburb but I guess thats progress. When I was a kid mc donalds was a once a year treat. By the way I believe there is still a lot of submered cables in the area so be carefull if fishing deep. All those years of towing logs through there has left a lot of debris. Fish inside of keats never seemed to hang out that deep though.

Thanks for the advice. I spoke with Bob Dixon out of Sechelt. He said that he was into about 30 Chinook off Epsom Point but they were only 12 to 20 inches. I've heard of loads of shakers this year. I guess its a good sign for next year!

Back