Getting to Tahsis

Just wondering the best way to get to Tahsis from Campbell River: Take the Port Elizabeth ferry at Gold River or drive the Tree to Sea Road?

Spring Fever: Sorry to be such a greenhorn. I was reading threads saying just getting to Moutcha Bay by road was sketchy if you didn't have a serious boat trailer brake system. I have never been much beyond Campbell River.

Spring Fever: Sorry to be such a greenhorn. I was reading threads saying just getting to Moutcha Bay by road was sketchy if you didn't have a serious boat trailer brake system. I have never been much beyond Campbell River.
No ,no -don't misunderstand me-I just didn't recognize any names other than Gold River and Tahsis. So- if you are driving all the way to Tahsis get to gold river do not turn left go straight ahead and follow the signs. Gravel road past Moutcha bay for about an hour. Road is usually ok gravel-can be dusty although a fair bit-maybe 30% is paved. If you are trailing a boat and want to launch at gold river-get to gold river turn left thru the town and down the paved but bumpy road for 13 kilometers(9 Miles) Launch then down the inlet and get on your charts go to strange island -up the Tahsis inlet-about an hour or so from the ramp.

No ,no -don't misunderstand me-I just didn't recognize any names other than Gold River and Tahsis. So- if you are driving all the way to Tahsis get to gold river do not turn left go straight ahead and follow the signs. Gravel road past Moutcha bay for about an hour. Road is usually ok gravel-can be dusty although a fair bit-maybe 30% is paved. If you are trailing a boat and want to launch at gold river-get to gold river turn left thru the town and down the paved but bumpy road for 13 kilometers(9 Miles) Launch then down the inlet and get on your charts go to strange island -up the Tahsis inlet-about an hour or so from the ramp.
If I had a heavy boat and no nose gravel protector and was only going for a short time I would recommend the boat route -otherwise take your time -stretch it out to say 2 hours and you'll be fine on the road.

Just drove to Tahsis and back a couple of days ago- the road is pretty good in fact 60% is paved beyond Moutcha Bay and is by far the best part. 3 very steep grades-15% but 2 are paved. So all in all doable with a big boat if you take your time. Good FREE ramp in Tahsis just beyond Westview Marina. Excellent facility!

How much between Gold River and Moutcha is paved? And are there steep grades on that section?

How much between Gold River and Moutcha is paved? And are there steep grades on that section?
Probably 20% is paved between GR and Moutcha Bay-all the really steep grades are in that section. Moutcha bay to Tahsis is the easiest part!!

If your boat is 26' or bigger, the consensus on this forum over the years has been that it's probably better to launch at GR. Avoid an afternoon run in the inlet if possible.
If you just relax and take it easy, the drive from GR to Tahsis is fine. As SF said, the steepest parts are paved.

The other consideration is the launch and parking fee at GR-if you are going to Tahsis for say 4 days your fee at GR for launch and parking is 55 or as high as 75 dollars whereas at Tahsis the launch is free and I think the parking is too!

The parking above the launch is pay parking. I think it was $5/day last year, can't honestly remember though. Take cash, you deposit it in a box on the building at the ramp.

I was told last week that the town doesn't enforce it and nobody pays-check with westview marina-they would know.

I was told last week that the town doesn't enforce it and nobody pays-check with westview marina-they would know.
Have a house in Tahsis and as you say there is no enforcement and no one pays.

As others have said if you have a bigger boat best to launch at Gold River and then drive truck and trailer to Tahsis. Another option is to leave your trailer at Gold River and then just take the truck to Tahsis. I have towed my 24' Seasport on the logging road but not ideal. A smaller boat like a 20' aluminum or something I would not have hesitate to tow on the logging road at all. Just take your time and watch out for log trucks.

We've towed our 23' Trophy Pro to Moutcha for the last 3 years. Not a big deal if you take it easy.

Back