Cougars

Fishless

Having read the thread on the Thompson ..reminded me of the time my friend and I were fishing what we used to call the' Horseshoe,when he claimed to see a cougar across the tracks and up the hill a bit,I didn't see it and my buddy tends to imagine things at times...... next morning I returned to the Horseshoe by myself,and low and behold watching me from behind was this large cat...I didn't feel threatened at all and proceeded to work my way back towards the Nicola... was wondering if with all the big horn sheep up there if that's what's on the menu..... I have been lucky enough to have seen 3 others in my day..... one across from me on the cheakamus ..... mione right across from the school at gold river, and one smallish one at the pumphouse in campbellriver(dead) anybody had any experiences with these elusive creatures

I used to fish the cheakamus when we lived in van, lots of bears, but no cats.

We lived in Nelson for a few years and our place backed onto a steep ravine, which was a major through way for wildlife. Lots of black bears, a grizzly family the first fall we were there, and all sorts of deer and smaller critters. One night I was in the hot tub on the deck, and this cat walked under the deck and came out under the stairs. I just froze. I estimated it to be 6-7’ with the tail, so small by cougar standards but still eerie at how stealthy they are.

Last edited:
Walking a ridge stalking mule deer one afternoon my hair started to stand up. My spider senses were going off the charts so I stopped and took note of my surroundings. All of the sudden a round face and big eyes appeared from behind a small bush. Instead of taking off the cat took a few quick steps towards me and crouched down. I immediately threw a large stick in its direction NOPE wrong thing to do to this cat. The rather large kitty's eyes grew larger and started to adjust its back feet in preparation for an attack and took a few more quick steps in my direction. Now at roughly 15 yards I had enough of this game and sent a 270 round in between the front paws luckily for both of us it ended the situation. Still think about that day sometimes wondering if I gave he cat to much leeway on that one.

A month later my cousin had a huge male take all the farm cats and had his dog pinned in the corner of his deck one day. He slightly opened the sliding door and emptied a 25 round magazine from his 10/22 into it. The large male made it half way across the lawn before expiring.that cat was massive all I could do to get my arms around its chest to try and lift it up.

So many Cats around now the mule deer have almost completely disappeared in my area.

Having read the thread on the Thompson ..reminded me of the time my friend and I were fishing what we used to call the' Horseshoe,when he claimed to see a cougar across the tracks and up the hill a bit,I didn't see it and my buddy tends to imagine things at times...... next morning I returned to the Horseshoe by myself,and low and behold watching me from behind was this large cat...I didn't feel threatened at all and proceeded to work my way back towards the Nicola... was wondering if with all the big horn sheep up there if that's what's on the menu..... I have been lucky enough to have seen 3 others in my day..... one across from me on the cheakamus ..... mione right across from the school at gold river, and one smallish one at the pumphouse in campbellriver(dead) anybody had any experiences with these elusive creatures
When I was a kid, I had a 3 mile walk from the bus stop to home, on a remote gravel road. Once and awhile, I'd feel the hair on the back of my neck. Turning around, I'd occasionally see a cougar. They didn't see many people and I think were just curious. While out hunting, we would find a stashed deer carcase, now and again. When I was 17, we went on a hunt for a cat that was killing lambs. After 6 long hours, our 3 dogs finally had him treed at the river canyon. He was a big boy but old, losing his teeth. Magnificent animals and a rare priviledge to see them.

My camera in my back yard picked up a cougar skulking by the house. We had about 5-6 different deer that showed up almost daily at different times. Not one has appeared since. This was about 2 weeks ago. Can't figure out how to attach the video. It is in mp4 format.

I saw a small one right beside the Island highway just north of Sayward right in the middle of the day for a second there I didn't understand WTH I was looking at.

Then another time driving on some back highway in the Kootenays I came around a tight corner and there at the bottom of a cliff was a Deer carcass he's obviously been driven over the top the blood coming out of his nose was still red no time to clot.

I carried on truckin' around the corner and just caught a glimpse of brown moving in the grass at the side of the road and later realised that was the Cougar who had killed the Deer.

A few years ago in early Dec, I was walking the dog through Thetis Lake park sanctuary section and down to Craigflower creek. The dog was off leach and came running back to me with a deer’s ear in it's mouth. I asked were did you get this, and he took my back to a deer which was just off the trail and the deer was ripped open and had been dragged to the location. I clipped the dog on the leash and headed home.

At that time, I was a stream keeper for Craigflower creek and walked the creek almost every day doing monitoring. My neighbours knew I was involved in the creek and about two days after seeing the dead deer one neighbour came to our door. She informed me that she was down at the creek this morning and there were two dead deer which were ripped open.

A few days later, I attend a Christmas party and one of the grounds keeper from Highland Pacific Golf Course (which runs beside Craigflower Creek) was there and informed me that a cougar had been seen on some of the fairways a few weeks before.

A friend told me the cougar wants the high protein meat like the liver and hart and then move on. I don’t know if it is true but it sounds true to me.

Cougar sighting are numerous in the Thetis lake, Prior Lake and in the upper sanctuary area of Thetis lake, so always beware of your surrounding when hiking.

Seen many. Often too damn close!

Recent case: My Buddy and I were out on the last day of blacktail season on The Rock.
Moving from one fairly remote area to another, I spied blood on the snow and what appeared to be drag marks.
Got out to investigate.
Momma cat with two wee ones.
Ambushed a small deer and drug it straight downhill (steep and densely wooded).

Buddy sez I am going to have a look.
Take a gun I said.
Nah, they're long gone by now...

He got 40 yards in and I hear Oh Chit! very loudly.
Turned to grab my rifle as momma and the twins went racing by me.

Damn good thing the Lady decided to flee rather than fight!

When I asked if he would ever do that without a gun again, his comment was simply I will never do that again!

Wise choice.

Cheers

Saw a cougar cub trying to get through a page wire fence one time. Was a week after a cougar had been seen near the school bus stop in the same area. Was also july 1st weekend and the cub was less than 1/8 mile from goldpanner campground. We rolled in to let the lady who runs the place know what we had just seen and she freaked out on me. Dont tell anybody she says, you’ll scare them off. She meant the campers not the cougars.

Last edited:
Not sure what it is exactly, but there's very few cougars on the North and Central Coasts - but lots of bears and wolves. Maybe too much competition by them for the cougars.

Cougars love deer and sheep. Amazing predators.

Reminds me of a steelhead trip on the Salmon River in Sayward - we worked our way down the river to a nice corner pool with a big log jam on the opposite bank. My golden retriever was working ahead of us, and was trained not to go into the river unless I told her it was OK...well, she spotted a cat sleeping on the sand bar under some of the logs opposite us and started barking up a storm wading into the river to go give that cat a beating. The cat just sat up and pondered if that yellow barky thing was an easy meal - a stare off ensued for several minutes while I pulled my dog back and told her to sit down. Fortunately the cat decided to stay on its side of the river, while we beat a hasty retreat.

Back