getting skunked on a charter.

A few facts on your post are rather alarming and I recognize the tell tale signs of a very unfortunate experience...sorry that this so called "guide" is not honest.

I wouldn't expose the poor bugger on a public forum I'm sure he felt bad enough. I certainly understand your frustration and would pick another guide next time and perhaps a new area if your looking put some pounds in the freezer. April is a hot cold month you just never know especially in the Victoria Sooke area. If you love the area go back during the summer months a sleigh them. Rate wise it doesn't get any cheaper than that for 4 guys. Best of luck next time.

If one is looking to fill a cooler for any species on a half day trip, that is an expectation that is not realistic no matter where you go.

I wouldn't expose the poor bugger on a public forum I'm sure he felt bad enough. I certainly understand your frustration and would pick another guide next time and perhaps a new area if your looking put some pounds in the freezer.

or maybe he might give a deal on your next trip considering ...

If one is looking to fill a cooler for any species on a half day trip, that is an expectation that is not realistic no matter where you go.

This ^^^^^^

Those fish may have bit later in the day but that's the chance you take when you book a half day trip for 4 guys.

It does suck though.......sorry to hear it.

5+ hours in one spot with no bites. Wow, after 2 hours I'd be pressuring for a new spot. I hope the guide was entertaining at the least.

We have a rule in sturgeon fishing, if no fish in 35 minutes move to the next spot. I realize Hali spots are spread out but 5 hours seems a bit much.

We went out in March with Wolf, after four hours nothing, but Wolf told us they were here, in the next 40 minutes we landed 3 nice Halibut. I trust the guides, they know were the fish are and Wolf is entertaining also.
I have been on many charters out of Vancouver, Victoria, Mexico,and the Dominican, I would say 50% we got fish. Heck I have done three days out of Bamfield and cime home with two fish. I was happy just being on the water and having a good attitude. I always try and make the best of all situations.

With Halibut my experience is stick and stay. Getting skunked in April does happen, spring halibut are funny for that. They are at a spot for two weeks then poof, they are gone.

I used to do no fish no pay wayyy back, but these are wild animals. July on the West Coast is nearly guaranteed fishing and the price reflects that.

That's why they call it fishing... And not meat collecting..., maybe the four guys should have sprung for the other half day. It does suck but it does happen also.. Pick another day and pony up for the full day charter... Definitely some experienced guides on here that could put you on the fish...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many variables at play, many of which a guide has no control over. I'd rather have a guy sit in his honey hole than run all over and give me less time with hooks in the water, especially on a half day charter.

Ive been on several charters in a few different countries. A pro guide should be able to provide a decent day even if the fishing part isn't working out.

Even commercial fishermen have tough days.... trawls, longlines and the works.

Some of these threads lately definitely still have that mid winter vibe to them..... Good weather and better fishing is on its way!

So many variables at play, many of which a guide has no control over. I'd rather have a guy sit in his honey hole than run all over and give me less time with hooks in the water, especially on a half day charter.

Ive been on several charters in a few different countries. A pro guide should be able to provide a decent day even if the fishing part isn't working out.

Even commercial fishermen have tough days.... trawls, longlines and the works.

Absolutely agree! While I'm new to ocean fishing, same thing has applied for lake fishing and even out moose hunting. I would not enjoy the pressures of someone relying on me to produce when we're dealing with live and moving animals.

There are many guides out there who have varying skills. I would like to think, and it appears to be the case, that their goal is to provide a great experience and hope to send you home with a good catch. After reading all of the responses, I would encourage anyone to share their experience with their guide, good or bad. Feedback almost always supports improvement and it stimulates reflection of business practice.

Who knows, maybe he/she will offer up a solution that is to your satisfaction. I know I would take the opportunity to change a an unhappy client to a happy client. Good reports spread fast... Bad reports spread faster!

Last edited by a moderator:
The guide outfit in question isn't junior either when it comes to halibut, so obviously just a tough day. Not saying you should not be disappointed. There are a lot to choose from, and I am wondering if it is a more of a personality thing at play here... Some have better personalities others and different techniques..If your really upset I would let that business know instead of on here....

Don't give up there a lot great guides here that do halibut charters..You just have to find the person sometimes that suits you.

Making a decision to move is a tough one when fishing halibut. Move and you give up the time you have invested with your gears scent bringing the fish closer to you. Most of the time they are there and you have to wait for them to come on the bite. Make a move and that bite could come on while your are moving. Often you are waiting for the right current to happen and expect the bite to happen then...when that time comes and it has not happened, that is when you begin to doubt. By then there may be so little time left in the trip that pulling the anchor, moving and setting up again is no longer an option.

It would be interesting to hear what most guides view as acceptable
as far as skunk's go?
10% of the time ??
20% of the time ?? etc.

Holy moly, take a deep breath and relax. The guy is a Guide and just human, he takes you to an area that he's confident MAY PRODUCE, does his best and everyone (who were and weren't there) critiques the heck out of him for his effort. What should he do? Stick and stay, run here, run there, wrong bait, your side of the story for the trip puts the guy in a no win situation here. All theses guides that jump in to stir the pot must never ever had a skunk on a trip or a bad personality mix. It seems the guy is damed if he does and damned if he did. Do you deserve a free trip? Nope! I'm not a guide, but We all know it's not that easy to pull up fish on command to satisfy someone's needs and expectations. Sure you are disappointed, yes it was expensive, did you have unrealistic expectations (maybe), did you pick his brains for info to use on your own boat? The difficult thing about fishing is that one day you are on top of heap and the next day you can be looking up a snakes belly button. The only guy that wins is the guy Selling fuel. That's my 2cents

Back