Gentlemen: Grease Your Equalizers!

Sharphooks

Wish I'd known what an equalizer was when I bought my first tandem trailer.

Now I know, and I also know why there's a zirc fitting in the unit

Pictures tell the story:

the way they’re supposed to look out of the box:

I thought I could do the change-out with a 4 1/2" disc grinder---No Way!

After a HUGE amount of wasted time (and waiting for a disc blow to up and put out an eye or worse, cut a brake line) a neighbor finally felt sorry for me and brought over a Sawzall--- that turned the job into one of minutes rather then hours:

I did all this during the freeze: too cold to fish so it was a good feeling to finally button her up and feel like I can now tow my boat around SAFELY:

What I learned: take huge precautions to block every part of the trailer that can move before you start cutting: the "U" bolts are under HUGE tension: they explode when you put a disc on them: that axle has to be blocked and the frame fully supported before you start ripping and tearing

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes - that looked like an ugly project - one I'm looking at doing as well. Where did you get your parts?

It was an ugly project---every bolt and nut rusted ---might as well have been welded. The equalizers: frozen/rusted---the bolt rusted to the brass collar insert so it just spun and spun---PB Blaster---no help

I have a Shoreland'r so I was FORCED to get the parts from Mid West Industries ---the only place you'll get the proper springs to match the hanging brackets on the trailer

Complete incompetence from the parts guys and gals : sent me enough parts to do a 4 axle trailer, insisted the parts list was correct, left out important stuff, over-shipped stuff I didn't need---

I was quoted $ 1,000 to install them. Ya, sure, you betcha--- I invested $ 60 for a DeWalt disc grinder and $ 20 for steel cutting discs. That tool worked to cut the bolts off and get the "U" bolts off the axles--- the equalizers---definitely a sawzall job because of the access (tight spot)---maybe a super-sized grinder would do it but I probably would have nicked a brake line ---sawzall much more precise (and not as dangerous---those discs are a barrel of laughs when chips break off and hit you in the face.

good luck and per above, block the hell out of the trailer before you start cutting--- I had to remove the trailer wheels---all the more reason to block the axles before starting to grind off hardware

Those discs tend to explode if not used properly and the shrapnel can kill you or in the least blind you.

I see in your pictures that the new ones have grease nipples. Did the old ones have them?

Back