Gemlux Duckbill drain replacement for scupper valves

pescador

Anybody using this system?

I'm sick of the water laying on the rear deck post full fuel fishing with a couple of guys on the rear deck. I'm not putting in the ping pong valve system in because I hear they are noisy. Thoughts? Gemlux looks like very high quality provider.

5 dollar plumbing part used in sink trap assembly in some applications. also called a drain robbie i believe. prevents back burps from lack of venting air.

Also, when replacing through hulls above the water line (normally), what 3M product should be used? 5200? Anything else?

Last edited:
I run the ping pong ball bolt on scupper(perko I believe) they work great, think I'm into them for 30 bucks each ...

never heard a noise? didn't know that was a thing.

that gemlux product looks very nice. nice not to have a plastic through hull and go stainless..

I installed all gemlux in my boat, they are great quality. I used the traditional flapper but that duck bill system looks pretty cool. My only concern based on the look of that system is the reduction in the diameter of the system once the duck bill is installed, potentially slower draining rates but maybe that’s not the case. Either way looks cool and is completely protected from UV exposure.

My last boat had the same issues with water on the deck when loaded down. This would have been perfect to resolve that issue. Sold the boat so I dont need to worry about it now. New Sea Sport I have now has ping pong balls and I have no issues with them, no noise that I have noticed. As mentioned in this vid 5200 for below waterline is best

stuff a racketball in and call it done. lol

When out in rolling seas I use to get water sloshing into thruhulls and then into the floor storage locker on my 2359 Trophy.
This is what I've used to remedy the issue..simple rubber plugs.
View attachment 55613
Same issue on my Trophy. Where did you find those plugs?

When out in rolling seas I use to get water sloshing into thruhulls and then into the floor storage locker on my 2359 Trophy.
This is what I've used to remedy the issue..simple rubber plugs.
View attachment 55613
That’s what did on my Campion Explorer. Got the rubber plugs at Rona. They have lots of different sizes.
They are in the screw and fastener isle with all the little drawers of various fasteners. They have cork ones too. Had the ball valves on my SeaSport and they are not noisy but do still let some water in especially if rough water.

Buckethead did you get the gemlux duckbills? How do you like them?

No I didn’t, I’m not sure they were available when I replaced my thru-hulls. I know I looked around the gemlux website and there was no mention of them. I ended up with the conventional style with the rubber flapper. I don’t see much of durability issue with them considering the flap is recessed and easily replaced with one screw if a replacement is needed.

F7BD62D3-A26C-47A1-A0AB-058970FE5877.jpeg

Back